Harrison Stadium - The rumours of my demise..

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Section113, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aha ,

replace absurd with stupid

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I've been a fan and a season ticket holder since '96. I love this team, but not unconditionally --and it may be time for tough love. If we are stuck in the Swamp, and AEG and MLS can live with that, so be it. But get serious about this team, make it one the tens of thousands of soccer fans in the area want to support; make the matches something people wouldn't dream of missing. Going on ten years now, maybe we can finally get the team and management to be something to make us proud.

Stuck in the Swamp, we will need a great team to keep pace with the excitement brewing in the rest of the league. That's not going to happen if we don't demand it.

3. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    MLS should sell a second NY franchise to a Mexican team for 2006/7 if they finance the Harrison stadium and start construction next week. For access to the NY market, a Mexican team would fund the stadium which both teams could use.

4. locolos

locolos New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    New York

not a bad idea!

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting thought, even though i think the team that could be considered teh area's second MLS team in the area (provided a more powerful owner) is Rochester...
    If i remember right, census numbers show Mexicans are, among hispanics, teh highest growing segment of the population by far in the tristate area... Maybe it would not be such a terrible thing to share a supposed harrison SSS with a 2nd NJ (or NY- team)
    Now finding a Mexican owner with such long term vision, who knows.....

Deal near on $700M stadium for Giants
    Wednesday, December 1, 2004
    By JOHN BRENNAN
    STAFF WRITER
    http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr...FeXk2NjE5ODI3JnlyaXJ5N2Y3MTdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5Mg==
    "A deal to build a $700 million replacement for 28-year-old Giants Stadium could be in place within a few weeks, according to executives of both the Giants and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority."
    So the Giants presumably could not be in their new stadium before the 2007 season - even without additional complications.

The $1.3 billion Xanadu entertainment, retail and office complex is scheduled to begin construction at the Continental Arena site early next year, and the Giants are concerned that the project will snarl traffic and parking for football games. If both projects are being built at the same time, the problem could be exacerbated.

And that doesn't even include a possible addition to The Meadowlands Racetrack for the thousands of slot machines that Codey wants to bring to the complex, or a new, 25,000-seat soccer stadium that Codey has suggested could be built for Major League Soccer's MetroStars."

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So....why is a new Giants Stadium being built?

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why, to make room for the "possible" Metro SSS, of course...

I still cling to the faint hope of Harrison getting done in whatever way, shape, or form.... Codey seems to be a real piece of work....and Zoffinger, the less said about him, the better.....

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Just because........

9. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    because of eli..

"wah, i wanna play for the giants"

"wah, i wanna a shiny, new stadium"

10. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Exactly. Why are the Giants building a new stadium. For an NFL Stadium Giants Stadium is still pretty damn good for size and they added that row of new Luxuary Boxes above the upper deck where the press boxes are. Just build another one of those on the other side and problem solved. It's only 28 years old. Nothing structurly wrong with it at all. They also added those extra rows at the bottom of the lower level.

But then again I forget they want something brand spanking new. Add a retractable roof for the Super Bowl to be played in the Tri-State Area. That's the real reason why.

If there is one team that doesn't need a new stadium it's the Giants.

But the Jets that's a different situation ;) :D

Before I get sidetracked here, we are talking about a 25,000 seat stadium that will help bring revenue to the town of Harrison, that will help NY'ers, Hudson county people and Bergen county people drive or take the PATH train to the stadium. That parking deck will be open year round, From April to October Metro football, also possible NCAA College Cup Final three matches, as well as a possible Big East Soccer Final as well as Div III NJAC Soccer Tournaments, Concerts, US Soccer national team matches for Friendly & World Cup Qualifiers. Now that the Gold Cup is in the summer months several matches can be played there if the stadium is built.

Why can't the HCIA board and or those officials of Hudson County see what we see. This should have been an automatic win-win situation. You are improving a section of Harrison that hasn't been used in such a long time with all those warehouses abandoned, sadly all that toxic waste ruining the Passiac River finally being cleaned up. Why can't they see what we see.

I mean if there is a certain financial problem with the plan. I'm sure AEG & MFO can be talked with to negotiate and see if there is some give and take, but if there were no problems with the stadium plans before as well as the financial figuers then, why all of a sudden is there a problem now?

I have a funny feeling that Codey & NJSEA is slowly creeping up behind us and planting a knife in our backs with a ribbon at the edge of the handle. The ribbon has an embrodered inscription on it. "You'll never leave the Swamp"

That's my fear if this deal is truly dead.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Soy del Brooklyn Knights ?

12. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foxboro and DC are closer to NYC tri-state Area then Rochester. Rochester is 6-7 hours away! Columbus is almost as close as Rochester.

13. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Such insanity blowing up a 28 year old stadium with recent additions to waste $700 million on a new one. This is American waste ats its best. I have been to Giants Stadium dozens of times since 1977 and the stadium is just fine for holding a measly 8 0r so NFL matches a year (if the Jets leave).

Such proposition should be laughed at, especially if it involves any public monies.

14. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    SoccerScout. I just want to double check something. Are you agreeing with my post or against it?

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jon Corzine has officially announced he's running for governor (something everyone expected), so Dick Codey's opinion may not matter too much in the near future. Corzine would easily be the front runner, so much so that Codey may not even run.

16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Corzine has only been a politician for a few years. So could he be not as corrupt as the usual NJ politicians?

17. italia_in_02

italia_in_02 New Member

Jul 24, 2001
    NJ
    Is Corzine the guy we want in order to get this stadium built?

18. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Corzine is already a very rich man. The money involved in this kind of corruption would be meaningless to him.

So, he wouldn't be the one obstructing progress in public with his hands out in private.

19. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember that without graft and corruption we'd see a lower class of people go into politics.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I just talked to a member of the MFO about the recent problems with the stadium.

#1 AEG already bought the land

#2 Nick was with Chicago GM Peter Wilt looking to purchase seats for the new stadium & the Fire's stadium till Nick found out about Codey's speech and the problems with the HCIA.

#3 Codey's Speech is more Grandstanding because the Meadowlands is gonna lose the Nets, Devils, Metros and someday the Jets that's why Codey said what he did in his address to the NJ media.

#4 HCIA is giving AEG & Metro a Crap fit with the money/funds on the bonds and it looks like the NJSEA is going to help a little. So instead of a 100% operations run of the stadium it looks like it's going to be 80% to Metro & 20% to NJSEA. I agree that there should be no interference with the NJSEA but hey, I think it's better than 0% at all which means there could be no Stadium in Harrison.

That is what I was told. There is a problem with the HCIA. MFO has been slapped in the face by Politicans of Hudson County and don't forget Mayor Daly of Harrison, he too got a white glove slapped across his mush. We all did. Yes you can blame Nick all you want, but when something like this happens and it's out of his control then all he can do is look over the damage and see what's available in this current mess.

21. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    I have no idea whether these statements are objectively true, but I certainly appreciate the bit of "hard" insider news. Thank you! :D

If accurate, the stadium was coming along nicely and is anything but derailed - simply delayed. In fact, if AEG has actually PURCHASED the underlying property, there is a LOT invested in the success of this project. Since property interests when exchanged legally need to be filed, any NJ-based property attorneys know where we can search for AEG purchase records, perhaps using the Freedom of Information Act?

Also not surprising in the least that the NJSEA is looking for a piece of the action. Where else are they going to secure income streams once The Meadowlands turns off the lights?

22. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foxboro is about the same distance as Rochester 5 hours, DC 3 and a half to 4. For whatever it's worth. Columbus is much farther away. It's about 8 hours. It takes 6 hours just to cross PA.

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, for some reason i thought Rochester was not that far..Anyway, counting on the Metros staying alive, the would be our local rivals, so to speak, if they joined MLS

So, if i'm reading GIO17 post right, all we need is for
    a) stop a lot of NJ pols from being so sleazy
    b) wait for a hardcore Metro fan to win the lotto
    c) to hope really hard that the imaginary Mexican (or from whenever) businessman appears and helps with $$$ on the project in order not to have AEG put up too much cash, which they would be unlikely to, since it would negatively affect most of their other projects....

Sounds great!

24. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Listen. The guy I spoke with was really nice about it and I know that everyone is signing this petition to fire Nick because this Stadium issue was the straw that broke the camels back. I don't blame everyone being upset.

I am upset as well with this entire situation. But I'm not going to lash out in anger. I'm trying to stay calm and cool. I got my answers. I was able to pass it along to all of you guys. I wanted answers as well you did you know.

Just trying to calm down the eruptions from everyone.

25. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Gio17, thanks for the info. No offense to you, but how well do you know this MFO insider? If he's not good friends with you, this could be the MFO spin all of them may have been told to spew. A few points:
    1-The fact that Nick had absolutely no idea where the HCIA really stood on the bonds should be enough for everyone to give him a vote of no confidence.
    2-If AEG is willing to let the NJSEA, the biggest raper, pillager and anchor on the league since we opened in '96, get a 20% share in the stadium, why wouldn't they just chip in another 20% themselves to the county and freeze NJSEA completey out? Of course, this is assuming that AEG taking that larger portion of the bill doesnt affect the tax exempt status of the deal for them.
    3-Why would there have been any communication from AEG/MFO about considering the Meadowlands as an option (Nicks statements, some of the local press, the MFO survey), if AEG already bought the Harrison land, we're not far money wise from getting the HCIA to float the bonds (20%), and NJSEA might be willing to get a stake in Harrison with us?