Harrisburg, PA in PSL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by monster, Sep 24, 2003.

1. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he graduated in 93.

2. Anyone else get the City Islanders ticket mailing? Now I just wanna see the schedule or the months they play in to see if its worth it for a college student like me to get season tickets or just per game.

3. meertang

meertang New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    I did and I think $100 is a bit pricey for a 10 game PSL season with general admission tickets.

It sounds as if GA tickets aren't even guaranteed seats.

4. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Generally speaking the USL releases the schedule in mid-January. The season runs from April to October for the A-league (including the playoffs). I'm not sure how long the PSL season is. I think it's shorter.

5. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the mailing as well. The prices are a little higher than for the Wildcats in their last season. And they were a top level A-League team, not a first-year PSL team.

If the GA season ticket package is $100 for 10 home games, what is the walk-up price? More than $10? I sure hope not because that's not going to be a good way to get people (and families) to give the team a try. I know you get some extra benfits with the season package, so I can't assume the average cost per game with the season ticket will be less than walk-up price.

Of course, the Harrisburg Heat tickets were that high and they had good attendances (much to my surprise) up until the Farm Show expansion construction took away the adjacent parking lot. So what do I know?

I would welcome the problem of not being gauranteed a seat because that would mean that the place is packed to overflowing with fans. Not sure you're going to have to worry about that though, but if in fact they did draw that well that it made that a problem, that would be awesome.

I'm very undecided about what package to go with. I'm not even sure I'll be in Harrisburg the whole year. But I'll go in for a package anyway to help the cause.

I guess my biggest disappointment from the mailing (and it's such a great development to have soccer back in the mid-state that I'm not really complaining) is that the logo that was used when news of a team first broke seems to be what they are going with. I'm not a fan of it and it makes my wonder what the unforms will look like. Will that logo be splashed real big accross the front of the jersey? Hey, I'll support the team just the same--just would have liked a conservative, traditional look (i.e. DC United).

But, most of all, the mailing was great because it is another reminder that soccer is back! I hope for a successful inagural season.

6. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Re: So what about the Supports Club

I think Beach Bums is cool. And since you would be just bunch of "Bums" any "bad" behavior can't be blamed. How about a sister club for women/girls called "Beach Bunnies". ;>)

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started a Yahoo group with the suggestion of Castaways as a supporters group. I really don't care what people want to cal it or who does what, as long as people come and support the team.

8. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Menno-soccer-man

Menno-soccer-man New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Upgrades to baseball stadium

Saw today that there is a new name (some bank) for the baseball stadium on City Island. Is this going to affect the efforts to spruce up the north end of the Island for soccer? Part of the same effort?

Any ideas?

Also, I was hoping to go to Lanco (less than a mile from home) to talk with the Islanders people about a Lancaster based supporters club. It would be fun to get several people from this area together and get a flag with the logo and the Lancaster name on it. (Like they do with the English Flag) We could see about getting Angelo's or someone to sponsor the group and maybe even get a pub to hang out in.

10. Commerce Bank park is the new name of Riverside stadium. Theyve been meaning to spruce up the old baseball field for a while now and this is just going ot be the city's match of state funds (50/50 split) for the major renovation.

Skyline Stadium (where the Islanders will play) will be recieving significant upgrades..especially if they reach the A League in a few years like is planned. I can imaine the bleachers they have now on the west sideline will be replaced, and the hill on the east sideline with the pressbox will be made into stands and a new box, maybe some luxury boxes or premium seating. One this I hope the keep is the deck on the south side. I think thats a great idea for standing-room-only crowds. And maybe overflow crowds they could stick temp bleachers on there.

Sadly though, i dont think many upgrades are planned for the field for this season. Hopefully they take out the baseball field and add more seating (on the hill with the pressbox) and upgrade the press facilities. tehy stated on their season ticket mailing that they woudl have a club for the premium ticket holders. Im kinda curious as to where that will be....

Any ideas where the supporters will stand?

11. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Anybody who got the season ticket brochure in the mail...did you have to call the team office to get it? I signed up on the City Islanders website but haven't received anything.

12. Menno-soccer-man

Menno-soccer-man New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Season ticket form

I got one both ways. Thought I wasn't getting one and sent a request and got two!

13. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the players mentioned in the article was Matt Crist. He playd for the Chicago Eagles Select in the PDL for two seasons. Last year he was in the preseason camp of the A-League Charlotte Eagles and went on their pre-season tour. Having seen him play, I think he could be a solid role player in mid field.

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I signe dup at the Web site, then e-mailed right around New year's to check on it. They had been maile dout the day before so I guess mine came from the Web site.

15. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
  16. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potteiger signed / uniform supplier announced

I just returned from the press conference.

The new player signed is local product Derek Potteiger (Cumberland Valley H.S./Penn State/Pittsburgh Riverhounds). This should make the games against the Riverhounds even more exciting.

The uniform supplier is the German company Jako (www.jakousa.com, www.jako.de). This is their very first venture in the U.S. For me this is quite interesting because my favorite Bundesliga team, S.C. Freiburg, is outfitted by Jako. I have their current away jersey which is the same as what the City Islanders will be wearing. It's mainly navy blue with Carolina blue on the sides thru the armpit and down the underside of the sleeve. Here's picture of it (Freiburg's away jersey, that is):
    [​IMG]
    It's not the best picture because it's so dark the navy looks black, so you'll have to imagine it being a true navy. The City Islanders logo was splashed very big across the whole chest of the jersey they presented to Potteiger. Not sure if that is the final design or not. (It might be that way just to make the logo more visable for press coverage.)

17. futbol_king9

futbol_king9 New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Central PA
    The city islanders website is also updated with that info.

www.cityislanders.com

well their midfield is starting to take shape...lets hope the rest of the field is as expierenced!

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Potteiger signed / uniform supplier announced

The press release says the final design is still in the works, including a possible sponsorship deal.

19. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    you will all love pottegir.

I know some players you are supposed to hate whne they leave your team but i cant see chanting negative stuff at Derrick

20. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the PDL schedule released, and there being some PDL-PSL cross-over games, we have this non-league schedule for the City Islanders:

May 30 (Sun) 6:05 pm - Reading Rage @ Harrisburg City Islanders (Skyline Sports Complex)
    June 12 (Sat) 7:00 pm - Harrisburg City Islanders @ Williamsburg Legacy (Busch Field)
    June 19 (Sat) 7:30 pm - Harrisburg City Islanders @ Reading Rage (Albright College)
    July 10 (Sat) 7:35 pm - South Jersey Barons @ Harrisburg City Islanders (Skyline Sports Complex)

21. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2004 Schedule

HARRISBURG CITY ISLANDERS - 2004 SCHEDULE
    Home Games bold

April 17 (Sat) 7:30 pm - @ Northern Virginia Royals (U.S. Open Cup)
    April 30 (Fri) 7:30 pm - @ Charlotte Eagles (U.S. Open Cup)
    May 1 (Sat) 7:30 pm - @ Wilmington Hammerheads
    May 8 (Sat) 7:35 pm - Pittsburgh Riverhounds (U.S. Open Cup)
    May 15 (Sat) 7:30 pm - @ Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    May 22 (Sat) 7:35 pm - Wilmington Hammerheads (U.S. Open Cup)
    May 30 (Sun) 6:05 pm - Reading Rage (Non-League)
    June 5 (Sat) 7:35 pm - Western Mass Pioneers
    June 12 (Sat) 7:00 pm - @ Williamsburg Legacy (Non-League)
    June 18 (Fri) 7:35 pm - Long Island Rough Riders
    June 19 (Sat) 7:30 pm - @ Reading Rage (Non-League)
    June 23 (Wed) 7:05 pm - Northern Virginia Royals
    June 26 (Sat) 5:30 pm - @ Westchester Flames
    July 10 (Sat) 7:35 pm - South Jersey Barons (Non-League)
    July 17 (Sat) 7:30 pm - @ Long Island Rough Riders
    July 23 (Fri) 7:35 pm - Westchester Flames
    July 31 (Sat) 7:30 pm - @ New Hampshire Phantoms
    August 6 (Fri) 7:35 pm - New Hampshire Phantoms
    August 8 (Sun) 6:00 pm - @ Western Mass Pioneers
    August 14 (Sat) 7:35 pm - Charlotte Eagles

22. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I look forward to July 23rd when we're in town and can get to meet the folks on here. I travel with my team, therefore will be in attendance.

23. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Press Release - March 6 & 7 Tryouts

New press release at http://www.cityislanders.com/press_box.aspx

24. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member