Harkes on Buddle

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by The Greatest, Feb 13, 2006.

1. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    from goal.com
    High praise from Mr. Harkes.

2. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but it's a big IF. Edson really has little time and hope of making the team. He's going to have to really show well and then maybe if there are some injury worries or what-have-you, he'll get a shot, but I'm counting on Edson to be with the Crew for May and June.

3. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    sadly, i believe that will be the case. But that's what happens when injuries and inconsistent play lead to not being on the roster.

4. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    If Sigi can win the battle between Buddle's ears, he'll be the King. It's been a shame to see so much talent so underutilized. Ya gotta fix Edson's head to fix his feet....

Buddle for Crew Man of the Year in '06!

5. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    go Sigi go! (just so the kid doesn't score any goals against us)

6. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    SCN- You have commented several times about a desire to add a player that can run off a target forward, attract attention and can create space. Is that the source of any interest in Gaven?
    "Gaven is a good player certainly, I think a lot of Eddie. (But) I think Edson is potentially the most talented forward in this league. When you look at his history every year he has played 20, 21, 22 games so he has missed a third of the season. We need to get Edson out there all the time. If we do that and you look at his goals per game ratio I do not think there is anybody in the league, other than Ruiz or Twellman, who have a higher percentage." - Sigi

- SoccerCapitalNews.com -

It would appear that Sigi has big plans for Edson. Hardworking guys with little talent can only carry you so far - EB has BIG talent. God forbid we cut him loose and he breaks out with the Cabbies - a double loss.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edson Buddle, along with Kyle Martino, is facing a make-or-break season with the Crew. He's been electrifiying at his best, and a complete waste of space at his worst. The problem, along with the rest of the franchise, has been consistancy. And if a proven coach, coming in and setting up a real system, doesn't get him going, nothing will.

It's now or never.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I talked to Sigi today, he said that Marshall and Buddle have been the two most impressive players this off-season in terms of fitness and showing well each and every practice/game so far this pre-season in Florida.

I think Sigi is coming around to giving Edson a chance to show him something in Columbus this year.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good deal.

10. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Link? Oh OK, I'll get it. ;) http://www.huntparkinsider.com/news/021306_news.html.

Appreciate seeing these articles when you do have time to do them. Thanks.

I have to say, in those pictures posted in the other thread, Buddle looks as fit as I can remember seeing him, and it's only preseason.

11. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    If Sigi can get Buddle and Martino to show this season and play to their potential he truly will enshrine himself as the coach amongst coaches.

12. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    What is going on at 1 Black and Gold Blvd.? This freedom of information thing is blowing my mind.

Great news on Buddle though. When he's on, there are very few in MLS better than him.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, I'm with you. If you add up all the off-season/preseason information the Crew has allowed to trickle out under the door in the last four years, they've already surpassed it in the last 45 days.

It can't be accidental and it can't just be Sigi. I think it's clear that the FO - particularly Mssrs. McCullers and Wuerth - have made opening up the process a little bit a priority and the change is utterly refreshing.

For example, this week's Press Release from Jeff Wuerth tells us that in addition to Rusty Pierce and Jose Retiz that Chris Corcoran, Aleksy Korol and Edwin Miranda are now in camp on trial while Chris Carrieri, Adam Frye and Brent Rahim are no longer with us.

Now in the past this would have been a deep dark secret, which was ridiculous. The other MLS teams surely were aware of who was in. The only people in the dark was the fans.

As has been said before by others, if they're bringing in some unattached or available trialist they don't want the other teams to know about, great. PLEASE don't tell us.

The bottom line is that all this info sure makes the off season a lot more fun.

14. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    There arent that many memorable goals in the MLS. But I recall a blistering free-kick by Buddle against my Fire 2 years ago. Nearly brought the goal down. A real rocket of a shot. Swerving into the upper corner, far post, side-netting.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's a new leaf that this stuff is in official press releases...

Though last season, the one that shall remain nameless was fairly straight-forward with me during spring practices, and in turn it was posted on HPI, in regards to players they had in camp on trial and other such matters...

Certainly in the Jim Smith-era it appeared that all information was held close to their chest, but even last year under McCullers -- there was a trickle of information that had never really been out there for the fans before and it's just fully gushing now.

16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where have I heard this before?

Oh.. yeah.. last season.

17. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    But this year we have a coach that can...well...coach.

18. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    The difference between this year and last year is noticeable.

Last year, Coach you know who said "we need buddle and martino to step up. they can be great players. we depend on them. i hope i can get production from them. blah blah blah".

This year, Sigi has said: "they need to stop being fringe national team players and become national team regulars. i will help them the best i can. if they don't have the desire or committment, then i'll get rid of them and get someone who does have it". or something to that effect.

I mean, let's face it: Buddle and Martino will be key to our success, or lack of it, this year. Just like the Revs depend on Twellman, Dempsey, and Noonan. Just like LA depends on Landycakes, just like Dallas depends on Ruiz.

19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.