Happy Birthday Senor Castro

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Colin Grabow, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
  2. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Dune, there is a group in Miami that have been plotting Castro's execution for years. They have actually attempted to assinate him once before but were arrested and are now being subject to extreme torcher in Cuban prisons. I forget the name of these exiles, but it has the number 31 in the name and they train in the Florida everglades.

I'll say it one last time: Castro's own daughter fled the country. His brothers and sisters live in Miami and want him dead. You got a guy from Castro's own "cabinet" from the story that Colin linked, saying that Castro is the reason Cuba is poor and NOT the US embargo (which I agree should be lifted).

It seems SOME pro communist will defend it no matter how horribly wrong commuism has served a particualr Country, or how perveted a particular leaders definition of communism is.

3. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

4. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Unfortunately I am not too much educated about the Cuba issue and Castro's ideological base. But dont you have the impression too that Castro has somehow developed his own interpretation of Carl Marx and Lenin.

And sorry, the comparison does not work, we at least tried to support our neighbours in the East and did not try to punish them with an embargo just because of their communistic regime.
    The reason why I am so angry about this US-arrogance in the issue is because you abuse your power for decades and not willing to change it since it would mean admiting to be wrong. You keep a nation on its knews punishing them for...yeah what do you punish them for? And I am actually more angry that the world and especially europe doesnt do anything against it but accepts is as "american fact". Well at least here Castro is seen in a different light than in the US.

(what about north-south corea)

5. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    It must be great when you see everything in such a simple way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Batista really unpopular in Cuba ?. Did he rely somewhat on US help to keep in power ?. Was Castro initially a hero to the Cuban people ?. If the US were more open to Castro he may not have turned to the 'evil empire' (for the record, I think the USSR was a abject failure as well) for support.

But of course, I blame everything on the US, as I have slightly left-wing views, which must obviously mean I'm a............COMMIE, as are all people who don't say 'Regan is the best thing since sliced bread', or 'the American way is the best way' 5 times a day, whilst facing West.

This is why I respect Colin's opinions, and not yours. Colin has a completely different viewpoint from me, but can give rational and reasoned arguements. You often come up with a load of rubbish like the above, in which you try to paint those who hold different views to yourself as raving Marxist-Leninists who hate everything the USA has done ever.

I suggest that you read Political ideologies: An introduction by Andrew Heywood, then you'll realise the political spectrum isn't so sharply divided into what you believe in, and 'mad-lefty rubbish' on the other side.

6. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I dont think you missed the point but you are slightly off.

"I dont respect you"!

Well this doesnt change anything about the fact that I respect you though.

Secondly, to insult me with the fact that I am insufficiently educated in the area of political sciences is rude. Please take into consideration that I am not a native speaker, so of course my language doesnt have the persuasive power as it would have if we would discuss in german!

1st point I want to state here is that political sciences dont start with Andrew Heywood but quite a few centuries before..if you dont start at the beginning well then at least start with Hobbes and Robbespiere? Anyway, 'mad-lefty rubbish' is not quite what I believe in, dont try to push me into a corner with that!

Anyway, what do you want me say? Where is your justification for the embargo? This is what the discussion is about, as long as you dont refer to that there is no reason for me to react!

7. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Are you Ian McCraken as well then 1aSchnitzel ?. It's all gone a bit odd here, my comments were aimed at his post that I had quoted.

Andrew Heywood wrote a book that is one of the best, and most straight forward books that explains the different ideologies. Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau etc. are explained clearly in another book I have called something like 'Political thinkers and ideas' by Tudor Jones.

8. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Don't ever apologize for speaking another language. THe fact that English is not your first language and yet you get your point across speaks volumes about yourself.

Granted, I dont agree with all your post... but I do agrew eith you on this one.

9. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With all due respect, the political spectrum in the United States is vastly different than that of Europe and the UK. I am highly skeptical of a Brit's ability to comprehend ideologies or lifestyles or where Americans from the Midwest or Mountain states (let alone Texas) are coming from politically. Don't take it personally, as I would also take any book written about British politics with a grain of salt if the author hailed from Nebraska.

10. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Herr Schnitzel, I think that every self-proclaimed communist leader in history has had his own unique interpretation of Karl and Vladimir.

No you're right, in the case of East Germany it was actually the reverse, with them attempting to blockade us by cutting off West Berlin from West Germany.

How is refusing to trade with someone an abuse of power? As for not changing it, a lot of people are actually talking about at least partially lifting the embargo. This was published just yesterday:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/opinion/article/0,1299,DRMN_38_1323969,00.html

What are we punishing them for? I think the laundry list includes things like massive human rights violations, not holding free elections, etc.

President Bush has actually talked about lifting the embargo and what conditions would have to be met for that to happen:

http://www.conservativenews.org/ForeignBureaus/archive/200205/FOR20020530e.html

Exactly, this is something I don't get. Why is the US trade embargo so important? Can't Cuba trade with everyone else? Is the US the only place where you can buy food or medicine?

Considering that Castro is seen here as a murderous thug with little respect for human rights -- which he is -- the implications of you statement are kind of disturbing.

What about it?