Happy B-day Toto Schillaci

Discussion in 'Italy' started by krause9, Dec 1, 2004.

1. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Salvatore 'Toto' Schillaci
    Date of birth: 1 December 1964
    National team: Italy
    Clubs: ACR Messina (now FC Messina Peloro), Juventus FC, FC Internazionale Milano, Jubilo Iwata

Salvatore 'Toto' Schillaci was Italy's unheralded hero at the 1990 FIFA World Cup. He only just made the squad but came off the substitutes' bench to become the tournament's top scorer with six goals.

The previous season had been his first in Serie A after joining Juventus from the minor Sicilian club Messina, and Schillaci only made his Italy debut in a 1-0 win against Switzerland three months before the World Cup. However, his form lost its edge after the finals and he regained confidence only after joining Inter. In 1994, he became the first top-name Italian player to try his luck in Japan's J-League.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Jubilee/OnThisDay/index.html

2. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember him well in WC90. He always seemed to score the first goal of every match. That was a great squad with Franco Baresi, a young Maldini and Roby Baggio, and a much thinner Carlo Ancelotti. Great memories, great post - thanks Krause.

3. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Schilacci...A true one-hit wonder...I think after World Cup '90 everyone forgot about him. I think he runs a Soccer school now.

4. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Could a, should a, would a. Damn Caniggia. What was Zenga thinking? That would of been one hell of a final too. Up there with the 74 and 86 final I bet!

5. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    great memories of schillaci, in a tournament of big names it was fun that he came out of nowhere to score six times...

did his time in japan amount to anything?...