Hannover 96 vs. 1.FC Kaiserslautern [Cherundolo]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Wolverine, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hannover
    96 head coach Ewald Lienen announces 18 man roster for the game against Kaiserslautern at:

http://www.96soccer.com/

Cherundolo is not playin'. He needs a break until Saturday against Bochum. Who wants to know more about the game check out my report.

2. isolde

isolde Member

Feb 14, 2004
    nj
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see Hannover is 7th place in Bundesliga, sad to see Mathis is not part of the roster for the next game.

3. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Propably won't be too important to you guys.
    With the Canadian Julian de Guzman as the only North American up Hannover is doing very good so far, still 0 to 0, Kaiserslautern with big problems, but no one scored yet, maybe good for Mathis as a forward?
    [Edit]Neeeeeeein! 0:1 goal Armanatidis...
    We need better forwards... I'd say Mathis'd be a very good pick![Edit]

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    1:1 Tarnat 33rd

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2 to 1 Stajner
    eventually a forward's goal...

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stajner seals the points. 3-1

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    game's over, 4th win in a row, so doesn't look good for mathis now that at least one forward starts scoring...
    But then again the better 96 plays (atm we are clearly better than Schalke) the more likely it is that Dolo stays with us...

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the Mathis story is a sad one.

9. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hannover
    Hi there,

just got back from the stadium. Awesome game. The report of that game will be online tomorrow morning (German time).

I talked to Lienen after the game. I mentioned that we have a strong right wing now. Schröter was great on Cherundolos position. And Stendel was awesome too. Lienen said: "that will be no matter for him. He is a bank."

Happy in Hannover...!

http://www.96soccer.com/

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooo so I can take out withdrawals. and will they charge me ATM fees? I hate ATM fees and hidden charges.

(yikes that was bad)

Seriously Wolverine - the "he" referred to is Steve C? and what does "He is a bank" mean - like he's a rock and someone you can count on? I get the feeling the German idiom doesn't exactly match properly to English

Or the lesson could be, as always, I'm an idiot.

11. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    No you're not! :)
    You got it right. The expression in German is "Er ist eine Bank" which means translated "he is a bench" = impossible to move away!
    Lienen did want to express that Stevie is not in danger at all to lose his position as a right-back.

12. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schröter will play. (As right-winger.) Cherundolo will play. (When he's recovered, as right-back.) Mathis won't play. (As Stajner, beeing quite similar to him in quite a few aspects, scored two goals tonight.)

That's the message of this game. Please don't behead the messenger. Mathis will have to fight hard at Hannover to make it here. (I hope he does.)

13. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I hope too but seriously I just don't see it anymore. He will leave after the winter break.

14. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    What's sad is that you have to plea not to be attacked by the apologists and worshippers of Herr Clint (Included me before this latest act of blatant stupidity and childishness)

Clint has a knack for the spectacular (which is intoxocating to most Yanks because we have had precious few players with that type of skill and explosivenss before him - thus the willingness to constantly make excuses and defend him like some parents do with their spoiled little child)....... he also has a knack of becoming excess to a team's plans very quickly.

I can't see this working out well. Clint has specific wage demands, and I bet he isn't going to be an easy sell unless he comes way down in pay. He doesn't exactly have much leverage. Not sure if any large league (1st division) ponies up for him unless it's for real low wages and there are no contract guarantees. While many here still tend to think very highly of Clint I'm not so sure the Euro market will.

The Coca Cola league may be the best he can do at this point, maybe B2 team fighting for promotion or one desperate in the relegation zone. He has ability, but will it ever work somewhere for more than a couple of seasons?

Winter should be interesting. Shouldn't we have heard rumors from Germany already if someone in B1/B2 was interested? Seems quiet, and Nov is close.
    Maybe Sunderland's former "low ball" offer will start looking pretty good right now? I wonder.

15. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Dolo yesterday at the gane with his reason to stay in Hannover! :D

[​IMG]

16. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Rumor has it that Clint is headed to Real Salt Lake!

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Hannover is not as good as they have been playing the last few games, but they are not as bad as the first few...

They will not win another 3 in a row, in my opinion, and will settle more mid-tablisch

That is not enough, however, in my opinion in order for Clint to get out of the doghouse.

So I do think he is gone in a deal at mid-winter break. He is making too much money to sit, and he won't be happy there either.

Unfortunately, interest in Hannover from this side of the pond is going to go down drastically. We all love Stevie, but after all, he is a defender, and how sexy is that? (not very).

When you go from 2 Yanks to 1- that a popularity hit. When one of those Yanks is Mathis, the interest goes down even more.

Not trying to be discouraging, just realistic. Maybe you guys should recruit an English (not American) player to broaden the English-speaking audience...? :D

18. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Jri, you are not Keith, are you? :D

*click*

19. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I think Clint could get out of the doghouse if he changed his act. He has the ability to do a lot of mending by himself... it doesn't always have to be "the other guy" to take care of things.

I think there is more to it, will interest wane with Mathis gone? Probably for some, me personally, I've had links to Hannover sites since well before Clint got there. I think the reason a lot of people think about Clint more than Steve at Hannover is because Steve is still unknown to many casual fans in the USA. Steve never played pro ball in MLS, whereas for a season or so, Clint showed the most flair of any attacker America has produced... and he did it here in front of us.

But we love ya Stevie C. :D (well not that way - not that there's anything wrong with that)

20. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also doesn't help that Bruce Arena has a blind spot regarding Frankie Hejduk and will never call Steve C. for a meaningful qualifier.

BTW, HGirl96 - that you with 'Dolo?

21. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY

I hope it happens. It would be a great move for all.

Well known US player who would be the teams centerpiece, play wise and marketing wise, for a team starting up looking for an image. Most of us agree that MLS teams need more defined personalities to give each club a clear identity.
    Clint is definitely that. Again, hope it happens. I think Clint can do so much more here in MLS, especially RSL, than trying out all over Europe.

22. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Sprechen sie Englisch Fraulien?

Ein huptsche Deutsche Madchen fur unser "US Star"!

Deutschland, deutschland uber alles!

23. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

24. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Unless I'm way off, isn't it part of the modern German National Anthem? Serious.

Please correct if I am wrong, because if I am, I have been grossly misinformed and I apologize, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Hell, when Germany won the 74 cup, Bill Mazur, on what is now FOX 5 NY, who was a devout Jew, and one of the few soccer fans in the media then started his broadcast with the same words. Pretty sure I'm right. Please inform.