Hanki spouts off!!!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by mjraw, Nov 1, 2004.

1. mjraw

mjraw Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Denver
  2. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a healthy forward to partner Pedro in the attack might do wonders

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he just figure this out? I would have hoped he could say this at the start of the season. He is right, we need a better attack, but that is obvious. A monkey could have figured that out. At least he is saying he wants some youth instead of injury prone grand parents.

4. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    First off MORON (Tim) YOU picked all these players!!!!

Second, there were reports of him not coming back ... but this was his response to if he wants to come back:

"Absolutely. I love the Rapids," he said. "But that will be a decision that is addressed with the Kroenke (ownership) group within probably the next week, and it's a decision the club needs to make as quickly as possible so the players know where they stand. Particularly with the expansion draft, decisions have to be made as to who is going to be protected."

And finally, this is indeed big trouble ...

Only 12 players can be protected by each team for the draft. Besides Spencer, midfielder Kyle Beckerman is the only Rapids player not under contract for next season.

That means that Powell, Zizi, Delgado, & Rey are all under contract ... which I think is a SERIOUS problem.

5. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hankinson not subbing out a defender for offense until what? Minute 78 or something? That's where the fault lies with Hankinson.

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, MLS contracts allow players to be waived before the roster freeze date. This means these guys can be dumped if the team decides to do so. As I said somewhere else, I doubt MLS will let them lose three SI's in one off-season as there is a lot of cost and work that goes into signing new ones.

7. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Which is why I think Powell will be in a Rapids uniform next year ... and Spenny(retiring), Zizi, Delgado, and Rey will be looking for work somewhere. (Only Zizi would have cost money to obtain).

8. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    Hankinson quote from http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_...1&content_id=18121&vkey=mlscup2004&fext=.jsp:

Here are my issues with this quote.

1. Why is "handling the pressure of L.A." the focus here? With only a one goal lead in the series, why weren't they getting forward from the first minute? Why wasn't Hankinson focused on picking up where they left off in Denver, going out there in an attacking mode, and increasing that lead instead of preserving it? The strategy of trying to spend 90 minutes defending an onslaught from a team at home, while using the prized 8-1-1 formation, was folly from the start.

2. Didn't "have a particularly good match?" No sh!t, @sshat. You dug a hole and camped out in it rather than taking the game to the other team. Your attack was non-existent, your midfield was anemic, and your defense can't be expected to play a flawless game for 90 minutes against a team that largely scores opportunistic, 'ugly', or loose-ball goals. Maintain possession of the ball, attack on the other side of the field (with more than just a lone striker), and watch how the other team has fewer of those opportunities.

The low point was surely when Sullivan was subbed in, which for Hankinson is code for "we're fvcked, so let's toss in a tall guy and hope for the best."

I don't want to hear from anyone at the front office until this genius is off the KSE payroll.

9. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Not if you're Metrostars

10. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, we're not the Metrostars and we're not in MLS' favorite market.

11. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    But (and this is wishful thinking) MLS may want to make KSE happy. Thing SHOULD be different now (again wishful) because we have someone looking out for our own interests now (theoretically) ... instead of being one of six teams owned by AEG.

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    The cap room would be there. Maybe an allocation for Spencer and 3 discoveries. Probably not much for transfer fees though.

13. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Cap figures to have nearly $1 millon.

We do get our two Discovery players which allows us money to aquire players.

Plus you'd think we get an allocation for Spencer retiring. Seems to me, we should be able to add three quality players at least from means other than the draft.

14. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    powell had a two year contract.. what makes you think he will be here. the rapids have to want to pick up his option. i don't think so... is n't it the same for roberts..

15. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    "We have to find those players and make sure that we're signing the right guys," Hankinson said. "They've got to be younger, they've got to be healthier and they've got to show a track record of finding the goal."

Carrieri anyone?

16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But wasn't he a cancer in the locker room?

17. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    Sometimes, you have to kill off the infected cells to let the healthy ones grow. ;)

18. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    MLS won't stopping the Rapids from dumping them. They may just not be extremely helpful about replacing them.

Given their lack of appearances, it's not like the Rapids are going to do much worse in finding replacements.

19. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you can call this season a healthy growth. :)

20. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    No. Maybe he was according to Hanki.

21. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Right.

22. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    And San Jose.
    And now Rochester ... though Ercoli(sp?) is underfire for being a bit of a Hanki type prick too.

23. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    The league has never had success with foreign players. The percentages are against you right off the bat because there are many other countries that these guys prefer before the U.S.A. Let's blame that on George W.

24. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    It's more than just "many other countries" it's also the pay scale and amount of money MLS will pay for a player.

But I'm willing to blame that on W too ;)

25. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Everyone knows that the reason Mr. Hanki is still coach of the Rapids is because of GW so lets move on.

Mr Hanki is such an intelligent man. He speaks beautiful words of wisdom to the media. I think that KSE should sign him to a multi million year contract. He could become the coach of the Rapids for the next millinium!!! He is the world's greatest coach of all time.

We are sooooo lucky to have such a wonderful coach here in Colorado.