Hands Off Abbey & A Follow-Up on Etch (Wynalda, MLSNet.com)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by McOwen, Oct 26, 2003.

1. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    More "Objective" Reporting From Wynalda...

Oh the great Eric Wynalda (yeah that's still pronounced Whine-all-day) weighs in this week with this brilliant insight on last weeks raping of DC United by that sack of crap referee Abiodun Okulaja.

Eric's objectivity is truly something to marvel at...

p.s. Eric you never won a thing and the irony of you whining about real players like Hristo and Dema diving is too funny to even dive into... (err... pun intended...)

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/90min1025wynalda.html

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

3. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Re: More "Objective" Reporting From Wynalda...

Where does the idea come from that Wynalda is not objective? Has he ever expressed a serious dislike for DC?

I'm not trying to bait you, or anything like that. I just want to know if anything like that happened, because if it did, it would certainly affect his objectivity, and as a reader of his column I'd certainly have to then take his observations with a grain of salt.

(That said, did anyone see Dema dive during the Columbus game? Hristo certainly dove on the penalty, but Dema? Odd...)

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Maybe it looked like Dema dove from where Wynalda was, but yeah, that struck me as odd too.

5. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I DO think that Eric is influenced in bashing our team from his career in MLS. I also believe he (like many former foes of the Bruce days still resents what this team did and stood for... ie making them look bad.) But more specifically I see his lack of objectivity in recent terms...

A.) His article slagging Marco without offering any part of the opposing view (ie the player is appreciated by his coach, leads the team in points assists etc. AND has had an overall decent year for an aging former star...) is a start. Hey, he doesnt have to like Marco, but if you bash him at least tackle the counter views even briefly.

B.) The fact that he took the side of a ref that by any and all accounts was abysmal and then goes so far as to slag off DC players personally saying the league should discipline them is another example. (oh and sure Hristo embellished... but that's not the point. That ref put on one of the worst performances ever seen in this league and few if anyone would disagree)

--Personally I don't really care that much. I just wanted to show that Eric moved on from his Marco bashing to an even more absurd angle. Is it really taking shots at us unfairly? I think so but hey its only my opinion. And you know what they say about those... :D

6. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    And Besides...

Anyone that has a picture like THIS up next to their column HAS to have the piss taken out of them in some way... :D

[​IMG]

Ohhhh... Eric your such a tough guy!! ha!

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I typically agree with what Eric has to say, but saying the ref was not at fault is just wrong and shows a certain dislike for DC. He didn't mention Buddle or West when they dove or calls that were undeniably missed or called wrong. I kinda get the feeling that Eric is a DC-hater simply because they won everything during his career in MLS. So he's green with envy and now takes it out on the current side. And hell, he played with Dema and Hristo and certainly didn't complain when they were on his side.

8. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Defending that referee is beyond simple ignorance. Wynalda must be hoping for a bigger gig with MLS next year and is covering his bases. Good move if you ask me as his analysis skills leave much to be desired. Maybe he can make it as a schill for the league, but even then, he'd have to check his preconceptions at the door.

I had an argument with Wynalda after the DC-Columbus game where he defended his point of view about Marco, and tried to defend his anti-Marco bias, but he deflected most of my criticism of him as my being some deranged fan. Now, I'd had a few beers by then and was dealing with a peculiarly horrific loss, but I don't think I qualified as deranged. Some, who know me well may argue, but there you go.

Anyway, I specifically asked him why he was hammering Marco so much and so personally, and he said he does it to every player that hasn't lived up to their ability. Yet, when I countered about why he hasn't villified Stewart, Lalas, Mathis, Cienfuegos, Pareja, Henderson, etc., he just laughed and said that those guys don't have 32% body fat like Marco does. Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but if one third of Marco's body weight was indeed fat, then I'd probably have to agree with WhinnyBoy that Marco is in no condition to play in MLS. However, since Marco clearly only has a few extra pounds to declare and not a spare dumptruck hidden under his jersey, I don't think ynalda would make a good inspections agent.

So, since I do know when a con man is merely trying to scramble for imaginative facts in order to support his various whims of opinion. His ridiculous assertions about Dema and to a lesser extent about Hristo only serve as pre-emptive strikes to defend his prejudiced stance.

Whatever, he no longer means anything to me. He's made his bed, long may he sleep in it.

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Is Eric trying to get a rise?

Talk to John, Eric.

10. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Form the article:"MLS review board should step in here and I would encourage it to go back and watch the tape from that game and punish some of the players for the dives that happened in that game."

If that's the case, LA, NY/NJ and alot of other teams need to be reviewed. DC is at the bottom of the list for diving in this league IMHO.

I must have been watching a completely different match than Wynalda. That ref absolutely sucked. Bad calls and no calls went both ways. I wouldn't want that guy refing in a youth league, much less being a part of an MLS match.

11. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Harkes was the first (and still only) inductee on our Tradition of Excellence banner at RFK and had a testimonial match against an English Premier League team. You're right, Wynalda, there were no celebration or honors for Harksie.

12. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    And in regards to John Harkes, or a Tab Ramos or myself: our departure from MLS was never celebrated nor were we ever honored for any of our accomplishments

this passage is by far the most amusing of the whole article
    i can see Harkes being honored for his accomplishments, but what have Ramos and Wynalda ever won to be honored for?

and Harkes did get a send off and a banner at RFK

13. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Apparently being a long-time member of the National Team, when our talent base was rather small, is good enough for "honoring" a player in Wynalda's book. However, I say that being injured often and never winning a trophy in MLS sort of precludes one from having the honors heaped up you...

Harkes on the other hand led us to 3 MLS Cup Finals, Two MLS Cups, Two US Open Cup Finals, One US Open Cup, One CONCACAF Champions Cup, and One Inter-American Cup. That is what you have to do to get your "lap of honor!"

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

I celebrated when Tab retired.

15. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Hell, I'm so annoyed with WhineAllDay's self-importance (thanks, Owen :D) that even the sound of his voice is enough to put my teeth on edge, the little *#*#*#*#.

16. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I like Wynalda's up-front tell-it-like-it-is style, though I don't always agree w/him I like seeing his view on things as it's usually an educated one. He must be doing SOMETHING right if he's getting all this attention (positive or negative)...

Eric Wynalda's Bio from mlsnet:

http://www.mlsnet.com/bios/eric_wynalda.html

Glad to have him commentating MLS games and writing columns.

17. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    It is enjoyable to read the comments of the Marco apologists and those others who find any criticism of anything DCU a call for the lynch-mob.

Wynalda is doing his job. He is a columnist giving his opinion, not a reporter givng you the facts of some event with no opinion allowed. I personally find his condor refreshing but don't necessarily agree with all of it. He certainly knows how to push the right buttons to get a reaction and receive more e-mails. I am sure that is what will make Eric and his bosses the happiest.

Considering Eric's soccer background, I believe he likely knows more about the sport than any of us bitching on BS. He has his opinion and you have yours. I am just glad that there is someone writing something more substantive and opinionated than the PC tripe that the other so-called columnists put out.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Funny. I don't find it enjoyable at all.

By the way, there's also a letter about Hudson's coaching that shouldn't be overlooked. It's way down near the bottom of the page.

19. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    i find the term 'Marco apologists' very unappropriate

what do we have to be apologetic about?!
    the fact that he leads the team in goals or the fact that he leads the team in assists?

Marco is still producing results, granted there are many things wrong with the team, but Marco's play is way down the list

20. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    LOL.

21. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't see why that's funny.

Let's see the major offenders:

LA- Ruiz, Jones, and Serna
    NY/NJ- Guevara, Mathis, Magee
    Columbus-Buddle, West
    Colorado-Carriei

Now why Eric didn't mention Columbus' diving in the same match is beyond me.

22. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    It comes from the Greek word "apologia" meaning "defense of". This comes from the "Apologia Sokratous" or (Defense Of Socrates) by Plato.

So when you are a Marco Apologist, it means you are always defending Marco.

23. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    While I don't always agree with him I find Waldo's pieces interesting.

24. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hey sometimes train wrecks are interesting too but I wouldn't say I enjoy them :D

(well unless of course I am drinking a lot and watching them on one of those Banned from TV programs with my friends, but that is a different story...)

OK, I guess I can agree... Eric is as much fun as a trainwreck under the proper circumstances. :)

25. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

illigitimi non carborundum