Handling?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by fairplayforlife, Feb 22, 2021.

1. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    From the 05-Mar-2021 clarification:

it is a handball offence if a player:

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or
    The part I emphasized above is added language, yes?

So, if a player's arms move up, out, etc. as they often do (for balance?) when jumping, sliding, twisting, etc., they are saying that is to be taken into account ("justifiable by") when determining if they made their body "unnaturally bigger" (handball) OR if it was a natural "movement for that specific situation" (no handball)?

DefRef repped this.
  2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that three times and still struggle with exactly what IFAB is trying to say.

We are getting into “The beatings will continue until morale approves” territory.

DefRef repped this.
  3. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The fact that this is coming out less than 24 hours after Fulham lost that goal is hilarious. I mean it’s comically bad timing. You could not make that up if you tried.

4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding. Add to it the handling that wasn’t given in the Liverpool v Chelsea game and it’s a whole mess of confusing.

That and could they have chosen a more subjective standard? Natural for the moment. I’d love to to see them use the all the handling decisions we’ve discussed in this thread and give rulings. I’d be very curious to see what they say is natural.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been reported, and the release here seems to support, that the "above the shoulder" bullet point has been removed. It's all just "unnaturally bigger" in that section now, with the caveat that the player's overall movement must be considered in context.

It really just brings us back to where we were before except that we used to say that making oneself bigger was deliberate handling so that it fit the text of the Law. Plus there's still the accidental attacking handball in a yet further limited context.

It's a move back towards greater subjectivity, which in the age of the VAR probably means fewer reviews for handball incidents.

6. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s pretty classic IFAB. “We weren’t wrong, the changes we made were correct. Oh by the way here’s another change.”

“This puts us back to where we were before your changes, you just used 5 paragraphs to say it when before it was one sentence.”

“No, this is totally different”

Thegreatwar and GlennAA11 repped this.
  7. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Had a coach last year propose post-game that his player's extended arm was "in a natural position for balance when sliding" and that keeping his arm down "would not be natural"....

Even though it was clear handling both then and now (shot arm straight up to block a crossing pass), I suspect he will gladly refer to this clarification if it ever happens again. :rolleyes:

dadman repped this.
  8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don't think it has anything to do with a midseason change. The meeting was the annual meeting at which IFAB modifies the LOTG. These will be the adjustments we see in the 21-22 LOTG.

refinDC repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question. Is this commically bad timing or deliberate? My presumption was that this was in direct reaction to what happened with Fulham and was probably the result of David Elleray banging away at his keyboard and sending a few emails in order to "fix" things ASAP.

Is there any indication or reason to believe this was in the works for awhile and the timing was a hilarious coincidence?

EDIT to say I know the AGM meeting is going on now, but I was of the assumption that the speed in which this came out was a reaction to Fulham.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    It was the regularly scheduled meeting, so I would imagine the proposed changes were submitted to the Board in advance of the meeting. I can't imagine IFAB making a turn-on-the-dime change based on one event at that meeting. But the timing sure does look odd.

But moving quickly is not what IFAB does. They only finally actually addressed the GK headed back to the GK issue in this release.
    I think we still need to wait and see on the "above the shoulder"--these immediate releases do not always track everything and all the details.

11. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so because did they start telling me that arm position in the Liverpool v Chelsea game is natural I’m going to just tell everyone if they don’t catch the ball for a 10 yard run to the end one it’s fine.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole thing is amazing. Will be very interested to see where this lands when the full LOTG text is released. But I agree with what you write here, particularly the last paragraph. Handball has been, since the end of the experimental phase, pretty much treated as an objective decision in VAR competitions. All this tinkering seems to indicate that will be ending. It's probably a good result because it eliminates some of the more farcical technical decisions, but it's also not going to erase any of the arguing we have over handball penalties--if anything, it will increase that.

I've said for a long time that the tinkering with the handball law at the same time you introduced VAR has made things really, really dumb. Doing two things that were effectively revolutionary at the same time was bound to have unintended consequences as well as consequences that were entirely foreseeable (the Fulham incident was one of those--we literally talked about how "accidental attacking handball" was fine for an amateur match, but terrible for a professional match with VAR because there was no room for interpretation). Maybe IFAB is learning this lesson now. But there's been so much change over the past several years that it will be difficult to undo the damage and eliminate confusion.

dadman and Thegreatwar repped this.
  13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    an interesting aspect of the rapid changes and the pandemic is that many players/coaches may never play/coach with the current handball language/interpretations . . . but from watching lots of TV this year, they are going to think they know it based on this season . . .

Thegreatwar and fairplayforlife repped this.
  14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that also means the accidental touching that starts a promising attack is also gone correct?

15. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as the one touching the ball doesn’t carry it all the way to goal I guess. o_O

16. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I barely reffed any in the fall and I was already dealing with this.

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We seem to be going back to the point where if you never call handball you're going to be technically right 95% of the time. But there's needs to be a huge change in what people expect, because players and coaches still think of foul should be called every time the ball touches their opponent's arm. And there's times where I give a 90 yard free kick to the defense for something that technically isn't the handball offense, but it sure a hell of a lot easier to call it because that's what everyone expects to be called.

Pelican86 repped this.
  18. usa_m

usa_m New Member

Feyenoord
    United States
    Aug 13, 2011
    drug$+gat$=killaz
    fc cincinatti
    arsenal
    ajax
    porto
    gamba osaka
    fc platinum
    #pcp

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was already essentially annulled by the inclusion of "immediate" last year, right?

Bradley Smith repped this.
  20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whiplash is staggering. If I understand things correctly, we are at a point where 100% handball penalties at the last World Cup will be 100% not handball penalties at this World Cup after having also more likely than not been not handball penalties at the 2014 World Cup.

Here's a question... the penalty that gave France the lead in the World Cup Final... how is that adjuciated at the next World Cup? I think it's still a handball but the subjectivity level now might make it a handball if called, but not a VAR intervention if not initially awarded.

We just had a CWC Final decided on a lack of VAR intervention when it was 100% warranted. Did we also have a WC Final result greatly influenced (if not effectively decided) by a VAR intervention that is, less than four years later, no longer a VAR intervention?

21. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My initial read of things is that the law change (based on the language we've seen so far) is more about taking the decision away from VAR except for the more obvious situations. I wouldn't be surprised if the instruction and interpretations still remain somewhat similar. We've just ditched the more objective standard of "above the shoulder" for something with a little more nuance and grey area. A player lunging to block a cross with an arm up will still likely be seen as a handball — even if it might be justifiable as part of the player's movement. But who knows anymore! I'll be really interested to see how these changes will be instructed as we head towards summer.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  22. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    This should be fun at our grassroots level, where there is probably a good amount of officials who didn't even register the fact that you cannot score a goal from even an accidental handball.

yossarian repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, there always was probably a good amount who thought you couldn't before it was outlawed.

yossarian, Thegreatwar and Barciur repped this.
  24. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm just not paying attention to this crap any more. The vast majority of the coaches in the leagues I work don't know that IFAB exists, let alone that they keep tinkering with the laws. My life will be much easier if I just call handling the way everyone expects me to.

25. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    That's kind of like what USSF said about some changes some years ago. "Well, if you've been doing it right all along, there's no change."