Handball of the Year Award goes to....

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Uppa 90, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    hands away from his body

This is actually incorrect, please re watch the video at mlsnet.com his right arm was tucked into his chest and the ball after being struck by Conrad came and made contact with his right elbow. And yes you woudln't have thought anything of it if it was Wolff instead of Esky. And that is understood.

Anyhow, this ridiculous "handballs ruined the match" discussion aside, I wanted to say that the shot from Burciaga(?) was insane, when he struck that thing I nearly ******** myself. The mood of the entrie house comepletely changed. Shot of the Match and definitely a mighty contender for GOTY.

2. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm obviously not explaining myself very well, because I thought this paragraph was exactly what I said.

3. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Actually when Wolff dove in the US-Poland game, I said I was embarrassed to be a Wizards and USMNT fan that day. Anytime matches are decided in seedy ways it brings the game into disrepute. It's part of the drama, but I don't have to like it.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Seedy ways?

Are you serious, or are you suffering from a very bad case of

[​IMG]

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It was a seedy play & a seedy goal.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bob Gansler doesn't agree with you.

7. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    Well what do you expect Bob to say?

Either he complains and bitches and moans like we're doing (which draws ire from the MLS people and most likely a fine) or he takes the high-road and shows his class even in defeat. I think that the attitude he took during the post-game interviews was perfect. The other route results only in problems, because him complaining about it won't reverse the call. Maybe in a week you'll hear Bob say that the call was BS, but even if he doesn't, the call was BS, and everyone knows it.

8. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Gansler knows that with:

a) a referee shielded from seeing the play
    b) that resulted from two mistakes (botched goal kick and ill-advised throw-in)
    c) the arguable "ball to hand" when a clearance is hit UP at a player 3 FEET away

There are a lot more reasons to be upset about the play than the fact that Esky MAY have put his hand in an unnatural position. I don't think that Eskandarian really had much time to react to the ball once it was played (i.e. move his hand away) and since he was leaping, there was really no "safe" position for his hands in which he could be sure they would not have interfered with the play. Conrad should have pulled the ball back or kicked it out for a throw-in, anyway.

By forcing the clearance, he really screwed up (after Bo and whoever threw it to him screwed up).

This play is consistent with the kinds of things that happen in every game. Referees cannot be clairvoyant and it wasn't really a blatent blown call. The referee actually called a great game (he called more fouls against us and dished out 4 cards against us, when ya'll were by no means less physical in your play).

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I partially agree, but I seriously doubt "I thought that goal was a little cheap, but them's the breaks" would have drawn a fine. His tone suggested to me that he was saying more or elss what he believed.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, in a technical sense, you're right. Advantage gained has no bearing. But if you think that doesn't factor into the referee's decision to call it or not call it, you're kidding yourself.

Personally, I think it's time to take the word "intentionally" out of the rule. We all know that even accidental incidents of handling are frequently called. The word "intentionally" seems out of place to me. My opinion.