Hammers v. Liverpool [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Didn't watch the match, but our recent form has been horrific. The players look lost out there and it's absolutely unacceptable. I know Rafa's teams do well in Europe, but I don't see us getting past any CL side at the moment. I hope I'm wrong.

2. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what he was saying was tactics and selection-wise. Rafa has never been good with motiviation, sympathy, and other "people guy" skills.

3. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    P/GD/PTS

4 Everton 24 17 43

5 Aston Villa 24 12 41
    6 Man City 24 6 41

7 Liverpool 23 20 40
    8 Blackburn 24 1 38
    9 Portsmouth 24 9 37
    10 West Ham 23 8 36

4. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Good luck getting people to comply...ive been trying that since our run of draws started and there is always someone who bags Rafa

5. LFCFanInCali

LFCFanInCali New Member

May 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I'm not up for a good postgame rant, but remember guys, we're in 4th if we win our game in hand.

As for the cups, I just keep reminding myself how we lost to Palace in between beating Juve and Chelski in 05. There's still hope.

(Cue up "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" here)

6. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can change our form around, we are far from out of a final CL spot. Everton, Villa, and City all have a game in hand and not as good of a goal differential.

7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just come from watching the match, alongside Chelsea and Man U matches.

We were poor, absolutely rubbish. No forward threat, no support of the man on the ball, too many petty fouls close to danger areas, far too little imagination when in possession and virtually no composure in front of goal. This type of match has been a long time in coming, I guess. Only Hyypia, and that's not saying much, emerged with any credit.

Full credit to West Ham, though. They had a go at it until the last minute knowing we would blink. And we did.

The players owe us a performance. A big one. That's all I shall say. :mad:

8. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoted for truth, uninspired.

9. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    And yet he keeps selecting crap like Aurelio and Kuyt.

If we are going to lose to West Ham, might as well do it with more of the reserve and youth players out there. Why waste time with crappy senior players? Don't send Hobbs, Anderson, et al on loan. They are liable to do the job as well as Fabio Aurelio. I would rather see Jay Spearing play left back. At least he would not embarrass the team.

This team is out of answers on the pitch. Even when they are trying they are clearly frustrated.

And don't give me this 'the owners are unsettling the players' business. The guys are getting their checkes, right? The players are seeing new signings come in, right? They need to do the business on the pitch and Rafa needs to have the right guys picked and prepared to do it.

Where was the substitution of Kuyt? Sure Torres was having a lousy game too, but he is the kind of guy that can save a lousy day with a bit of magic. But Kuyt? There is no reason for him to be a 90 minute player when we haven't scored a goal. He made one or two plays the entire day. Our forwards combined for 4 shots - two on goal. Abysmal stuff.

West Ham could have had a few more goals. There is plenty of blame to go around, but I don't understand how you can let Rafa off the hook so easily.

Ridiculous game management considering how poor the effort was in the first half. At least Lucas played decent.

10. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    it's also frustrating when you consider that Curbs brought on Spector for Cole at 81' -- a defensive move, no?

ugh

11. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    lucas played well again, alonso played poorly again... i think lucas will start to get a lot more playing time...

also, aurelio needs to stop taking free kicks...

12. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    So far this season has been one of torture. I cant beleive it sometimes I think the players just dont give a shit (not all of them mind you)but its like we are slowly settling in for mediocrity and at this rate surely we are a newcastle in the making.
    I will still support liverpool football club and watch the games but after todays episodes I question I do my part as a fan do the players,coach and mangagement give us back what we deserve?
    Our football has been ugly and plain boring lack of ideas and creativity. Players are frustrated at each other and you can see it and feel it when a pass or skill is not matched by the one recieving the ball.
    Lets turn this season around now and I want to punch some sense into the the team and light a fire under each of their arses.

13. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    fyp

true, but, the fact remains, over the last nine games we've been averaging about one point per match

if results go against us, West Ham could be above us in a week and a half -- they've got Wigan and BirmCity, we've got Chelski (and I wouldn't take Sunderland OR anyone for granted)

14. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I am usually Mr. Suppport the team and the manager, but I just watched of the worst display of football by a Liverpool team in years. The manager bought most of these players, he trains them, and he picks who plays. Why shouldn't he share the blame? I manage a large enterprise -- when we do well I say its due to my great staff, when we don't do so well I take the blame. Same should hold true for Rafa.

Kewell --- let him play out this contract in the reserves -- absolute shite -- every attack that went his way ended in a West Ham counter.

Aurelio --- I know people have probelms with JAR but this guy actually twice dribbled the ball into TOUCH when basically unmarked. He took all the corners and all of them ended in West Ham breaks including the penalty

Xabi-- would whoever stole his mojo please give it back? Poor passing, poor touch, poor tackling and his lack of pace and defensive presence caused SG to play sweeper for the first 60 minutes.

Kuyt -- is a complete disaster -- no touch, no pace, no passing, no headers, and all he does is run around 60 yards from goal. But he plays almost every game, so you have to assume he is doing what Benitez tells him to do

Carra -- so sorry mate, you know it was clearly a penalty, but you play every minute of every game with great heart so I can't complain

Finnan and Sami -- ok, but you guys lack pace, play too far back, and neither of you scare any one any more going forward

Torres --- God he tries but he's marked by three players at all times and by the end he was coming back 40 or 50 yards to touch the ball -- plus it seems its fair play to kick him every time he comes near a ball.

Reina -- actually almost saved the PK -- guessed right and got a touch -- it was simply too well taken

Babel --- is no wing -- looks lost and I think is lost -- doesn't seem to know what he's supposed to do.

Lucas -- only player who looked like he is familiar with the concept of football -- passing to open spots not behind runners, wall passes and then following into open space -- boy should play more -- in 30 minutes was my MOTM in a very poor Liverpool side

Gerrard --- lots of effort but he's lost too -- trying to do too much and I feel sorry for him.

Who does Crouch have to blow to get a game? This kind of game cried out for him and Pennant -- get a little width and ping balls into the box. Get Crouch to win balls in the air that Torres can run onto.

Which leads me to my final observation -- what kind of football are we trying to play? I have no ********ing idea and neither do the players. It is the managers job to sort this out.

15. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    ... 19 fouls (to 11) and 3 yellow cards (to none). We didn't control possession. We didn't force Green to make decent scarcely any decent saves. We were not tight at the back. This type of performance off the back of that underwhelming effort on Saturday?

"Blame it on the Americans disrupting the side" ... West Ham had their own little controversies to deal with last season and when they were facing (near certain) relegation pressure - they responded by reeling off win after win. Our players respond to a little media attention by bagging it and getting snitty? On their wages?

Hicks has not even had time to turn LFC into the Texas Rangers yet - the players (and Rafa) need to man up and honor the Red shirt.

16. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    At least Bellamy wasn't on the pitch at the end of the match. His glee at this result would have been unbearable. I am surprised he maintained his composure from the stands. Thank you, Alan Curbishly, for putting gimpy Solano on the bench rather than Craig Bellamy.

17. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    [youtube]i35WRFDcKGo[/youtube]

18. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ok then...the bright side of this season.

Young summer signings...Torres, Babel, Lucas, Nemeth, Simon, Mihaylov
    Reina's improved skills and consistent form
    Torres' great first season
    Top 5 players this season: Reina, Torres, Gerrard, Masch, Carragher...after these players...there isnt much to talk about.
    CL form...won last 3 games, 16 goals scored and only 1 goal conceded

Not much from this season then.

19. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Things are so bad its almost comical. Everyone has their own interpretation of what or who is to blame but nothing is a definative answer. There are multiple problems, all coming together at the same time unfortunately. It is going to take a lot to get out of this mess but with the right attitude and resolve I'm sure Rafa and Co. can pull it off. I just think its a matter of time when that will happen. As bad as its been, I just can't see us going on like this for the rest of the season.

20. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Feb 19 and it will be all OK ;)

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    c/s

22. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OK, saying this as an Ajax fan, I think Babel really could play the wing for you, but he's hardly had a run of games where he's been able to settle into the team.

I thought he was effective when he first came on – his first touch led to your best chance of the game. He is a play who is clearly not benefitting from the rotation system – he needs more time, one way or another.

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He plays every game pretty much, just not from the start. And I think he himself stated that he can't play 90 minutes yet at the pace of the EPL.

24. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly, I'm a sickening wreck.

This is not good at all. We've got players wandering about lost out there, and the only lad not fit is Agger, who may not play again this season. Who knows about his metatarsal? I watched the Gerrard compilation of top goals on youtube the other day, and his mechanics are straight off. Not keeping his head down, not staying over the ball. The Lucas strike was the same thing. He had some time, but he was falling away.

I'm not a keen fan of Alan Wiley, I must say. Not that he affected the outcome of the match or anything.

25. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he should play at forward. He can be a great player but not on the wing