Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 7, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can't be conflating an objective view of the situation with my personal perspective, can you? For the record, I am the most pacifist of pacifists. Having been pregnant with/given birth to four children, I know how much effort goes into producing each single human being, not to mention caring for them after they're born. I could never hurt anyone, much less try to kill anybody. (I'm not sure what I would do if somewhere were threatening someone I loved, but I hope it never happens.) In my house, if we see a spider or some other varmint, we capture it and release it outdoors.

But that's me, and I have no say over what happens in Israel/Gaza. I would, however, not be the first to point out that there's a curious absence of women among Israel's key decisionmakers. It may be a gross stereotype, but if women were running this operation, I'm guessing it would unfold very differently.

Mike03, edcalvi, Quakes05 and 4 others repped this.
  2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Please find where anyone here said that. Maybe what you'd love to hear us say and what we actually did say are two different things.

By the way, as the mom of three sons and wife of a great guy, I grieve over the distress/deaths of all, not just women and children. I find it curious that men are put in a different category, as if their pain doesn't matter.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Now they should all quit & let the boards pick their replacements. Maybe let the mega donors do it.

4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8004 charlie15, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Thanks for this but it has nothing to do with the point I made. I politely pointed out this is a pretty wide generalization and it would be preferable if not used.
    As far as Israeli women being in the mix of key decision makers, the opposite would in fact surprise me.
    You know better than me the current Israeli cabinet political composition. These guys do not strike me as being pro women to state the obvious. I do not they would be in a Golda Meier cabinet either.

5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That doesn’t really answer my question.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You asked, 'Why single out the Jews?' As I said, we don't.

We blame Jews if they continue to explain away things which are inexcusable. We also blame US foreign policy and anyone ELSE who continues to support their actions over the years if they're bad.

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But why just the Jews?

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I was gonna blame the Mongolians then I remembered they have nothing to do with the conflict.

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT WE KNOW OF.

Pønch, ElNaranja, Mike03 and 9 others repped this.
  10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It's both. Israel has long used the propaganda of being the only Democratic Nation in the middle east, repeated by Potomack. Or it this there ancestral lands, so they have a right to claim it, used by Stanger.

A key part of the support they get and the funds that they get from the US comes from keeping public opinion in the US that they are one of the good guys and there are scrappy little country surrounded by Big bad bullies who want nothing but the worst for them.

This is why I brought up tick tock in the humanizing of palestinians. This is the first time in my memory I've seen this kind of thing happen. And why I said the ground is shifting under Israeli leaders. They've never dealt with this kind of negative publicity so long and so sustained. They are desperately trying to figure out how to keep up their positive image.
    You don't think Biden is trying to not lose the youth vote so he is walking the tightrope. You style yourself as smart but then deny the interconnectivity of this. US foreign policy and aid changes if and when the pressure from the public is too great. Like why do you think a US president is deathly afraid of going to war. Because Americans are tired of wars. So they have to keep the public opinion positive or else long-term we could not have a Democratic president and then we have to deal with Aid to Israel which may be continued permanently under Trump or maybe remove this part of America first.

Quakes05 repped this.
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    University of Penn president has resigned.

“The president of the University of Pennsylvania, Elizabeth Magill, resigned on Saturday, four days after her testimony at a congressional hearing in which she seemed to evade the question of whether students who called for the genocide of Jews should be disciplined,” the New York Times reports.

Michael Tomasky made some good point here.

It should go without saying, but I’ll say it all the same, that I obviously hold no brief for Stefanik. She’s a conscienceless fascist who was once a fairly reasonable conservative but took a sip from the poisoned MAGA chalice in 2016, and her career has been one long brownshirt rally ever since.
    But the awfulness of her public persona just reinforces my main point. We are at war in this country. On the one side are the values embodied by Stefanik and Donald Trump and Steve Bannon and the soulless evangelical leaders who know exactly who Trump is but have elevated him to savior status because he wants to eradicate “vermin” like you and me. On the other side are the values represented, however imperfectly, by (among other institutions) our universities, great and not so great.

And if you’re on the liberal side, and you decide to waltz into the lion’s den, you had damn well better be ready. You are charged with defending a way of thinking and living that is under ceaseless attack, and you have a responsibility to represent that way of thinking and living for the rest of us who believe in it but don’t have the opportunity to appear before Congress. These presidents let half a country down, and for that, they should be ashamed.

https://newrepublic.com/post/177409/stefanik-college-presidents-gross-incompetence

12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think the prep was good enough because the answer is always contacts and situational like I don't understand how it could be anything but contacts and situational. It was the overall coverage and quite frankly the betrayal by a lot of liberals. However as I've said for a lot of liberals especially Jewish liberals this is such a tense and emotional moment that you can see by our own poster, yasik, common sense evades them.

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TyffaneeSue, edcalvi and yasik19 repped this.
  14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    M repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does this matter? I don’t think it does.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because Israel is a small country that is vulnerable to diplomatic and political pressure.

Quakes05 repped this.
  17. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have saved your time and just said you made it up.

I read the first link, which led me to believe reading the second would be a waste of time.

stanger repped this.
  18. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’re not acting like they’re vulnerable.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do provide military aid, so we can make demands.

charlie15 repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the resolution condem Hamas? That has usually been the hold up/excuse from the USA.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Anyone notice the white male president of MIT is not nearly under the same pressure as the other two. Funny that.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Meep meep. Does...not...compute.

Odds on who's next?

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I've posted several links that indicates a pattern of the IDF killing journalists and then denying responsibility. Here's the most recent case I posted about (in Lebanon, not Gaza). Again. let's see what the IDF says about it. I'm not holding my breath:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023...h-probe-into-killing-of-journalist-in-lebanon

24. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Another organization corrupted by Hamas

25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am sure there is more to this and this is more why didn't they answer the question.

tomásbernal and superdave repped this.