Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 7, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean millions of people think Donald Trump will be fun and great president for jews despite meeting with nazis in his beach house

charlie15, M, Mike03 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no information there that indicates anything more than a standard (and ********ed up) assault. The victim is jewish according to the Shomrim (and I have no reason to disbelieve that fact), but there's no indication that she was beat for being jewish. Some people will inflict violence on others for many reasons.

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I think they'll be OK

Penn’s endowment saw a 1.3% return rate for the 2023 fiscal year ending June 30, increasing from $20.7 billion to $21 billion.

The 1.3% return rate was notably lower than Penn’s 2.2% composite benchmark return rate. Penn’s total endowment increased by $238.6 million during the fiscal year, according to the Office of Investments. Last year, the endowment saw a less than 1% return rate. For the 2021 fiscal year, however, the endowment posted a 41.1% return rate, largely due to record high stock markets and private equity gains.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2023/10/penn-endowment-posts-low-return-rate-2023-fiscal-year

4. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @argentine soccer fan we really should have another thread for “random posts attempting to win the oppression Olympics”, and leave this thread for discussion.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Somewhat of a feel good "story." Given the current emotions, it takes a really big person to have this approach.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-67592468
    'We can't stop' - the Israeli woman still helping sick Palestinians

"I'm fighting to be good," she tells me. "I'm fighting to stay moral when both sides are in such terrible pain. I'm fighting to be the same person I was before."

Yael heads a charity called Road to Recovery, a group of Israeli volunteers who drive sick Palestinians - mostly children - from checkpoints in the occupied West Bank and Gaza to hospital appointments in Israel.
    Or did.
    The 1,000 or so volunteers can no longer take patients from Gaza, which is governed by Hamas. And four of them are dead - murdered as Palestinian gunmen stormed through their kibbutzim in southern Israel.
    They include Vivian Silver, a renowned peace activist; Adi Dagan, who Yael describes as "funny" and always ready to step in and ferry patients at short notice in his big car; Tammy Suchman, a much-loved grandmother; and Eli Or-Gad, who loved talking about poetry.
    Four other volunteers lost close family members on 7 October.

In the immediate aftermath of 7 October, Yael says she was so shaken that she could barely breathe.

"Something was broken in my heart and I said that I would never talk to people in Gaza again," she tells me.

But after a few days, she decided that she couldn't allow the atrocities to change her.

She and most of the Road to Recovery volunteers have continued to drive Palestinians from the West Bank to hospitals in Israel for cancer treatment, organ transplants and kidney dialysis. As soon as she can, she says she'll go and collect patients from Gaza again.

Emotionally, she feels like she's being torn apart. She has uncles and cousins who are adamantly opposed to what she's doing and accuse her of helping Hamas.

And it's not just family members who disapprove.

"When I'm driving with Palestinians through checkpoints in the West Bank, soldiers have asked me how I can do what I'm doing," she tells me. "Other people ask the same question."

"It's dangerous now to even talk about the suffering of the kids in Gaza - people look at me like I'm the enemy," she says, through sobs. "But I'm not doing it for the Palestinians, I'm doing it because I want to be proud to be Israeli. I believe that whether you're an Israeli or a Palestinian, a Jew or an Arab, people are people."

Some Palestinian families have reached out to find out how she is. But it's harder than ever now for those few people swimming against the tide by trying to bridge the divide between Israelis and Palestinians.

"Even people on the left say that we should flatten Gaza. Both sides have become more and more radicalised," Yael says.

"I really don't know what will happen in the future. But I know that both of us will still live here, so we must find a solution."

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    This issue was already brought up last month and I believe the mods agreed to keep such news in the thread, given how this is now a hodgepodge of both Israel/Gaza conflict and the public sentiment in the world (anti-semitism/islamophobia).

edcalvi repped this.
  7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The big problem is that IDF can't always tell because Hamas uses civilian clothing but also because it is well documented that journalists are mixed in with the fighters themselves. For instance, there were various freelance photographers identified that were accompanying the October 7th group. Aside from the ethical issues of doing that there are practical issues in how do you even tell who is shooting bullets and who is shooting pictures. When I checked at least one of those photojournalists, Yousef Masoud, was a regular contributor to the Al-Araby/New Arabian website.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So is this a call for Genocide? Stefanik was just on Levin's show.

I'll leave you guys to put 2+2 together

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    She's just going back to the start of it all for her. But remember you're allowed to say you don't pay attention to politics then hardly eat up every ridiculous lie that she serves up.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA

charlie15 repped this.
  11. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    hamas or not.jpg

rounding up young men in Gaza, stripping them down, and parading them around really just highlights the problem for Israel, from here. how can they possibly know who's a hamas fighter and who's not?

they might be able to flush out a few more (obvious) fighters from the tunnels, which obviously risks the lives of their hostages as well, but most of the hamas fighters are in rafah, I expect...and there's no way for IDF to know who's who.

If they're able to kill half of the approximated hamas fighters (15k), I'll be surprised.

Video shows stripped Palestinian men detained in Gaza (bbc.com)

Smurfquake repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Seems calls for genocide are fine for conservative podcasters and congresswomen

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't want to give that a click, but is there any chance it's a deliberate swipe at the "Their are no 'settler civilians' " lines?

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well to be fair, we have had the whole "most Palestinians support Hamas" rhetoric in this topic as well.
    Which is kind of a euphemistic way to make the same point.

Timon19 repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I read that filth. Apparently if you don't actively fight Hamas and free the hostages - even if you are say a toddler or a baby - you deserve to die. Or something like that. No self-respecting person should read it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected no less from Levin.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is where the media absolutely got played. There will be no coverage of Stefanik going on a genocide for gaza show

Deadtigers, superdave and bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's bad faith all the way down.

If I was a conservative voter, let alone jewish, and discovered the no3 in congressional leadership was promoting neo-nazi race theory I'd be facking horrified that i voted for that party!

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to click it either. Even if it's a response to "there are no settler civilians", well, it has to be noted that settlers are a particular group of Israelis and not all of them. Most of the population of Israel (though, less and less a share as time goes on: currently 700k, or 10% of the Israeli population) are NOT settlers. Which is worlds apart from saying "there are no Palestinian civilians"...because that, by definition, includes the entire population.

On this topic, I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to find polls of Israeli support and opposition to settlements in occupied territory but have had no luck. There are lots of polls available on the Jewish Virtual Library but none of them really get to the meat of the issue (and I also wanted to avoid any polling done after 10/7 because that's going to skew numbers I'd imagine).

Deadtigers and mebeSajid repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I see Bari Weiss was tweeting trolling the professor killed by the IDF overnight and sent him a wave of 'fans". It's too horrific so I am not going to post it here. Wonder if she will have any introspection

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It uses genocidal tropes. The point is, this is who Stefanik hangs around with. But that won't be covered.

I guess Stefanik and Levin can't go on MIT campus!

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    There was a guy on TikTok who has become TikTok journalist and supposedly he has been getting phone calls from blocked numbers, allegedly the IDF, mocking and laughing they are gonna get him.

If it is to be believed, then making a phone call is an IDF thing. And really goes back to my point that they have the capability to do this yet 10/7. Also this is the party in the negotiation that puts it on the Palestinians to want peace.

I mean we put in a lot of quantifiers because this is all over my wife and I know there's a lot of problems with going on both sides so percentage of all of this but phone call destruction I didn't think it was possible.

23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, if it was on Tictok it must be true, right?

superdave repped this.
  24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    LOL! I so far that she cares, she probably just thinks he got what he deserved.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is something very ghoulish about supposed journalists / commentators crowing over his death

GAypW-nW0AAB8h9.jpeg

Deadtigers repped this.