Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 7, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ?

2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand you disagreeing with his stated opinion; but I just honestly couldn't see what you might pity about it.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ???

Are you sure you meant to write that?

I mean, the establishment of the state of Israel is LITERALLY Zionism. Y'know... that's kinda what it means.

There are elements of colonialism in the way Israe; was established and supported from abroad, particularly in the occupied territories, which have been voted against by about 190+ countries in the UN general assembly with only Israel itself and the US voting in support of it, (plus 2-3 islands in the Pacific like Tuvalu, IIRC).

As to the genocide 'bit', That's defined as 'The crime of intentionally destroying part or all of a national, ethnic, racial, or religious group, by killing people or by other methods:'. The way they were going before being brought up short by the international community, (mainly their backers, the US), would have meant life would have been unsustainable even if people in Gaza DID the onslaught which was planned to go on for several months AFAIK.

So whether it is technically genocide or not, if you're having to parse the meaning of a word like genocide with, frankly, lawyerly precision, that is ALSO not a great look, is it.

We can use another word or phrase if you like? Maybe, mass slaughter?

Deadtigers and tomásbernal repped this.
  4. I pity him for being an inhumane person in support for the elimination of over 2 million people, of which about 1.2 million children by those he supports and blaming their possible death on a bunch of maniacs those people he joyfully sees exterminated have zero control over.
    It saddens me someone is that inhumane.

majspike and Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If people make a rational argument that disagrees with opinion and supports it with facts and data you'd have to be pretty daft NOT to change your mind about something.

Also, bluntly, sometimes I can miss some important information which is vital to arriving at a correct decision. Why would I NOT want to change my mind in those circumstances?

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have saved yourself a lot of time & typing if you understood sarcasm and/or hyperbole.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because you believe that a determination to destroy Hamas will inevitably lead to the complete genocide of Gaza Palestinians doesn't mean he does.

deejay repped this.
  8. Because of being biased?

9. No, he wrote he's completely okay with that, if that happens.

10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you missed it but if one calls for Gaza to be wiped, it is basically calling for a genocide. That was posted on this thread and liked by a handful.

majspike and Deadtigers repped this.
  11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    11 more hostages are now in Israel.

Moishe and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see the post you're referring to. I just did a search of the thread and I'm not coming up with it.

I see him arguing that there will be thousands of Palestinian deaths, and perhaps you think he's too cavalier about that, but I don't see what you're referring to.

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's not giving credit. It's just not jumping to conclusions.

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was removed, I assume by the mods, and rightly so. It was basically he is fine if Israel wipe Gaza out....

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's unfortunate. But based on everything else he's posted, I doubt he actually meant it.

I do think he ignored the very real issue that Israel went in without a well-defined strategy (i.e., What do they do if it turns out that they cannot 'destroy Hamas' without massive civilian deaths?).

16. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a now-deleted line of comments where I responded to a bunch of hypothetical questions as to how far I'd be okay with Israel going to defend itself.

The situations were just that, hypotheticals. Genocide of Gazans is just hyperbole, it's not happening. Israel's response to the 10/7 massacres has inevitably resulted in civilian casualties in Gaza. Just like the Allies' efforts to defeat the Axis powers in WWII resulted in hundreds of thousands or millions of civilian deaths in Germany and Japan (among other countries). That's war, unfortunately.

edcalvi, luftmensch and bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the idea...if to destroy Hamas, Gaza has to be wiped out, so be it.
    I can only take his words for it.
    As Maya Angelou said, if people show you who they are, believe them.

Ahmadi8, majspike, Deadtigers and 2 others repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Former ambassador Danon? on the teevee today saying the goal is to still wipeout Hamas.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Just to play along, as this was brought up not long ago, does this apply to the "stupid" or "ignorant/naive" students (in High Schools or Ivy league schools)?

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What do you mean, "if it turns out?" Isn't that already abundantly clear? Right now the ratio of Hamas combatant to civilian deaths is worse than one to ten.

The Jitty Slitter and Deadtigers repped this.
  21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Blitz caused 40000 civilian casualties, but that was over a seven month period.
    We are currently at over 14000 in Gaza in under two months.
    You cannot portray this level of devastation as at all normal. "That's just war". No, even in wars, this isn't something that has occurred very often. Especially not in recent conflicts.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Setting aside that the death toll is high (nobody is disputing that), neither IDF nor Hamas will ever acknowledge who truly was a civilian and who was a combatant. There are dozens and dozens of videos showing plain-cloth men/young men firing mortars, running around with AKs and RPGs, and operating Qassam rockets. If those are found to be dead, there's no reason for Hamas and its run Gaza Health Ministry to acknowledge this fact. And I highly doubt IDF knows every single combatant operating in Gaza, so their numbers will also be off.

edcalvi, luftmensch, Moishe and 2 others repped this.
  23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    1000-2000 Hamas combatants seems to be the estimate from the Israeli side, so it is clear that far more civilians have been killed than Hamas members.

24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Do you think it's in the interest of IDF to embellish or to minimize that estimate? Sure, one can argue that the higher numbers gives more reassurances back in Israel, but at the same time, the higher the number, the less likely they will need to conduct a prolong military operation.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Why would they minimize the number when it is a success for them and a win for Bibi? If anything I would expect them to exaggerate it.

Deadtigers and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.