Hamas Attacks, Israel Responds II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    From what I understand, they were suspended precisely because they then could be accused of trespassing so the cops could clear them out.
    Outside of what I think of that specific tactic (and it seems to have backfired), giving these kids just fifteen minutes to get their stuff seems unreasonable and petty.

tomásbernal repped this.
  2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actions have consequences. If you are smart enough to get into Columbia then you ought to be smart enough to not thumb your nose at a warning you were given.

What this has to do with you throwing “antisemite” in there is nothing more than you trolling.

yasik19 repped this.
  3. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/education/columbia-students-suspended-gaza-protest/amp/

They were warned more than 15 minutes in advance. They knew exactly what could happen. If they chose to not take seriously the warnings put forth then that is on them.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I'll bet you this ends badly for the Columbia president

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When my government provides tens of billions of dollars to Hamas and diplomatic cover for decades, I will gladly protest Hamas.

majspike and ElNaranja repped this.
  6. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And if it does then it is on her. She opted to do little to nothing about the on campus protests until her feet were held to the fire. She’s also accountable to the board and for better or worse the donor base of the university. Actions and inaction have consequences.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    They got advance warning that if they did not clear out they would be suspended.
    The fifteen minutes is the allocated time to get their stuff from their room before they have to ******** off from campus. That is the thing that feels small and petty.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think @superdave is right and the arguments about what's going on at a handful of elite universities are infuriating, especially when things like this are happening at the same time:

superdave and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Involving the NYPD in a campus protest is idiotic imho.

But you are right, this probably won't save Shafik's job, which makes her choice to still do this even more baffling.

Moishe repped this.
  10. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It’s almost as if you’re saying that Hamas’ actions are okay since they don’t receive the financial backing of a foreign government or in this case the US as I’m assuming you’re an American citizen.

Of course Qatar and Iran for example provides vast amounts of money to Hamas but since they aren’t your government…

roadkit, EyesOnBall, chad and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed. Involving the NYPD goes to show that her ignoring the situation put her campus security in a position where they in no way could have effectively removed the protesters.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #2112 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    The Stefanik Effect

Some lawyer upthread said that free speech is only a thing in the public sphere. So a private Ivy League school could theoretically allow as much non-threatening speech as they like. Or they could do what this Columbia clown just did. Life is full of choices.

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Is that the only reason to protest? How about supporting a just cause? Should we be silent against Russia bc US doesn't financially sponsor Putin?

EyesOnBall and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  14. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    That is an insane response

Why the hell do you people get upset when I call you water carriers for HAMAS when you say sh1t like this

Yeah dude lets not judge HAMAS of the stuff they have actually done

Potowmack repped this.
  15. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is a BS view. Come'on. College is the place for diverse ideas? No!! its to learn a skill or a trade that eventually will allow you to pay for things that you need. If you want to expand your mind, you don't need structure of a school. That's so counterintuitive.

That's why when people go to college they end up going for 5-6 years and finish with a useless degree and aggregated student loan debt.

One of the reasons to defend western liberal/enlightenment, its that everywhere is where your rights apply; unless reasonably restricted. The student here is totally free to speak her mind, and I think we all know what she things, but USC has a reasonable position that her speech could lead to a negative outcome.

16. It has been proven that bibi himself had money paid to hama.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Columbia U newspaper puts Shafik on blast

Shafik’s authorization of the New York Police Department to enter campus and forcibly remove peaceful protesters spotlights the emptiness and duplicity of the promises she made to Congress and the Columbia community. In her opening statement to the Committee, Shafik claimed that she has always “held on to four principles”: prioritizing safety as being paramount, demonstrating “care and compassion equally to everyone,” upholding freedom of nondiscriminatory and non-abusive speech, and affirming education as the ultimate answer to antisemitism and hate. Much like the “community values” that have been hypocritically implemented by administrators, not only have Shafik’s principles been void from the very beginning of her administration’s response to events after October 7, 2023, but her response to the “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” only further cements her selectivity in enforcing her “principles.” When the NYPD Strategic Response Group—which the New York Civil Liberties Union has repeatedly characterized as “notoriously violent”—is welcomed onto campus with open arms, it is Shafik who “disrupts campus life” and infringes on her supposedly paramount principle of safety. How can students, especially those of color, feel safe when their campus is flooded by a police force infested with systemic racism and armed with riot gear? Clearly, “care and compassion” are not being extended equally to everyone.

....Why does a university that flaunts its storied history” of successful student activism seek to contain and suppress student mobilization? Why is the same university that capitalizes on the legacy of Edward Said and enshrines The Wretched of the Earth into its Core Curriculum so scared to speak about decolonization in practice? It’s not just the House committee watching the administration’s every move—it’s the students, faculty, staff, and alumni who contribute to the rich legacy the University continuously lauds. It is these very student demonstrations and demonstrators that will one day be touted as examples of Columbia’s history of activism. Instead of “saying the right things” to Congress, do the right things for students.

Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    College is many things. Frat boys/girls spend much of their time drinking & hooking up yet still become middle managers. How does that fit into your narrative?

Protesting has a long tradition on college campuses & especially at Columbia & Berkeley. You sound like you'd be happy for students to just "shut up & study" (what people said to LeBron BTW) because it hurts your feelings.

19. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Feelings don't get hurt. That's so beta. I'm either happy, or sleepy.

Regarding college, its a wrong impression to kids for them to think that they live in a consequence free world, which is what that type of thinking would foster. Everything has consequences. And noone says that they can't say it in their own time, you just can't say whatever you want in all places.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    But you are missing or willfully ignoring an important factor - Jewish students on campus constantly feel threatened by the actions of those demonstrators. Are their rights irrelevant?

21. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the implicit categorizing of Jews as white by the Columbia paper.

Surprise, surprise.

22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When have I ever said that? Hamas's actions on 10/7 were horrific crimes and crimes against humanity.

But you're right, I am an American. I care more about what the American government does, because it's ostensibly acting on my behalf. So when my government provides carte blanche to Israel, tens of billions in aid, and decades of diplomatic cover, and that leads to tens of thousands of people getting murdered, I'm going to protest that.

And that's why the "why aren't you protesting Hamas?" argument is so incredibly stupid. The US government* classifies Hamas as a terrorist organization, its leadership is subject to sanctions, and people who provide any kind of aid to Hamas go to jail. You want me to protest those policies? Are you sure?

*In case it needs to be said, I think US policies with respect to Hamas are correct.

23. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    So the people in countries whose countries are pro Ukraine who protest against Russia are simply stupid?

Also you lot keep insisting that you "totally condemn HAMAS" and people who keep asking for that are so so stupid.... but there is a distinctive lack of condemning

24. Moishe will twist something into support for hama, whether you have condemned their acts or not.
    At least he doesnot edit a post into something to support his believe.

25. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Is there video you can forward to me of that anywhere I can find? Or is liking tweets upvoting videos and sharing tiktoks condemning now?

I know people have condemned Russia ... there are thousands of videos