Hall back in MLS

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 26, 2002.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Hall is listed as the CR for Saturday's game in Denver. It's his first assignment since after the WC, and first in the MLS all year.

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard a rumor that he'll be in the middle for the All-Star game, too. If it's true, it's a nice touch by MLS. They didn't have to do this. But, then again, they didn't have to sit him from league play for most of the year, either. Also, I'm sure the choice is mostly USSF's, so maybe this isn't so nice of a gesture by MLS after all....

Anyway, if he is assigned to the All-Star game, then it probably precludes him from working the MLS Cup. With Tamberino retired, and Stott unlikely to get two straight MLS Cup assignments, that leaves the MLS Cup CR position wide open, at least at this point.

3. pacref

pacref Member

Jun 8, 2000
    North Texas
    I know it this is an old subject but...
    What other sport forces it's officials to "retire" young. I personally know of a NFL official that worked into his mid 60's. Basketball guy work into their 50's on average.

Guess those sports aren't as physically challenging to the officials as soccer.

Good to see that they are giving Brian what he rightfully deserves.

What are the chances that Ruddy might do the MLS CUP, he seems to be one of the up and coming guys.

4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I don't think anyone forced Tamberino to retire, did they? But you're right, the FIFA retirement age is dumb. I wouldn't be surprised to see it change in the near future with some sort of fitness test used to determine retention.

Of course USSF doesn't have any sort of retirement age do they? I see plenty of really old refs out there...and frankly some of them should retire. I guess it just depends on whether a guy who's done lots of upper level games minds doing games with less prestige as he gets older.

5. deep-throat

deep-throat New Member

May 24, 2001
    Couple of things:

You think that USSF makes this assignment??? The Federation has VERY little input into MLS assigning, far less the All-Star game. If USSF was responsible for assigning MLS, dont you think our FIFA centers would have more games? Look at the MLS assignments - the "top" guys in MLS (with very few exceptions) dont have the white badge. That is not something that USSF can be happy about, but MLS calls the shots in their league.

Why? The guy you mentioned - Tamberino - did both in 2000.

6. RushOnze

RushOnze New Member

May 16, 2001
    Colorado
    --Hall will be doing the All Star Match-and MassRef, from outside looking in, it might seem that putting the same referee twice in the final shouldn't happen, but MLS and USSF will protect their final with the best referees available, whether they have done it before or not.

7. RushOnze

RushOnze New Member

May 16, 2001
    Colorado
    In this country that would open the doors to too many lawsuits, so no, there isn't a retirement age.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only modified my remark because this all-star game involves the USMNT. I'm well aware that the USSF would have little-to-no input otherwise. Am I incorrect to assume that the involvement of the USMNT changes things a little?

9. deep-throat

deep-throat New Member

May 24, 2001
    Yes, you are incorrect. This was a 100% MLS appointment. But even they have to acknowledge his achievments by giving him the game. Of course this will be the first time that the All-Star center is NOT someone viewed by the players and coaches as a "players referee".

10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Of course it's not like the allstar referee has much to do besides point to the center spot.