Hale Announces New League

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by skipper60601, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Idea on the Table right now is to Build a new 12,000 seat Arena at a new location and to Make our current arena a open air park. Ed Hale Has made I know of at least 3 Offers to buy the Arena all of them were declined.

Honestly the best place to put this arena is in DUNDALK , Two Locations I think would be a perfect fit for it ( Eastpoint Mall ) because it's going down hill and the highway is right here and Public transportation is already in place , and in Edgemere because it's right off of the highway and ED Hale already owns the land. ED Hale Just sold the last piece of property in Canton for $25 Millions Dollars so it will not be going there ..

2. UIWWildthing

UIWWildthing Member

Mar 18, 2014
    As someone who lives within walking distance of Eastpoint, I can safely say that idea wouldn't ever happen. While yes, 695 is right there, Eastern Avenue is a bottleneck to start. Adding a 12,000 seat arena there would be a nightmare. Also, the owners of the mall are revamping it, and looking to improve the area surrounding it, so I wouldn't see it being sold.

I've head the idea of Edgemere and the land south of Canton Crossing as well been tossed out there.

3. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Eastpoint has gone down hill , They have tried to revamp it for years. Its time to just run it over . Canton Crossing is not going to happen http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...s-about-to-sell-his-last-piece-of-canton.html . Edgemere is possiable because they have been taking down the old steel mill. The Major issue with this is they done have any public transportation in this area. A lot of people come to the arena by Bus anyway .

4. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A new arena isn't on the way anytime soon. Hopes were that Kevin Plank would build one in his new development but of course he isn't. Our esteemed lame duck mayor has floated the idea of renovating the chicken box, but even that idea probably won't fly. There are so many pressing issues in our city that eclipse a new arena that I just don't see it happening.

All arena talk is coupled with the fantasy of getting a NBA team (or NHL to a lesser extent) which is just crazy talk. There isn't a compelling need for a new arena unless the city had spare money. Maybe if the new mayor will finally get around to doing those audits we can see where all the money disappeared to.

Btw, how does Dundalk have public transportation? If you meant the bus, I just fell out of my chair laughing.

5. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes I meant the Bus , No one wants to pay $15 to park downtown when they can ride the bus for $1.70 . The #4 bus no longer goes where ED Hale wanted to put an arena and that was a big issue. Because its was going to have alot of bars restaurants and hotels just like fells point has now

6. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I would

Seriously. I would pay $15 dollars to park rather than ride a public bus for $1.70

$eriously. I think most middle class American would too. If I bring my 2 daughters to a game, that's $5.10 to ride a bus.

Even if I was flying solo, I would still spend $15 to park my own rig, than ride around on a bus.

7. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than Brewers games in which have significant quantities of fans coming in on city busses, approximately NOBODY in Milwaukee takes mass transit downtown to Bucks, Admirals, Marquette or Wave games.

8. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Have you ever ridden the bus in Baltimore? It is the most inefficient system I have ever seen in my life. Completely mismanaged and the traffic in Southeast is horrible.

But the idea that this arena would magically spawn bars and restaurants "like Fells Point has now" in our lifetime is a joke. I can walk to Fells from my house. It is a special kind of neighborhood that has organically grown over decades.

And Shelts is right, look at the huge parking lots by our current stadiums, plenty of cars. Of course they are serviced by our wonderful light rail. Oh, wait, that's a joke as well. I love Baltimore, and I even try to use public transportation when I can, but the whole MTA blows.

9. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I do use the Bus , I guess it depends on where you are going. I live in Old Dundalk its easier for me to jump on the 10 or the 31 to go to the harbor or to canton. but I agree the system sucks. You need public transportation if you are going to have an arena .

10. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its a different story in Baltimore because on the Baltimore Street side of our arena we have a good 30 buses that stop there because the subway is only 2 blocks away from the arena.

11. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I grew up in south Baltimore, and rarely did my family or I take mass transit. I agree with Shelts on his view of paying $15 over taking the bus. There is just more of a convenience by having your own vehicle on hand. The lightrail does fill up from what I have seen during O's and Raven's games so it is possible. Lots of people like the light rail for whatever reason.

I just can't envision an arena somewhere besides downtown. I really think the best spot of all is where the convention center is currently. It would keep all 3 sports complexes together and centralize the arena even more. The attachment idea with a upgraded convention center was the best idea so far. I just can't see how the city can spend millions and millions on fixing a stretch of road and buying fencing to host the indy car event no one cared about but refuse to spend a bit on a new arena everyone knows is needed.

SteveCo repped this.
  12. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an old article about the formation of the I -League back in 2010. It mentions 13 potential markets for the league. In the end, only three I-League markets joined up with the MISL when it was absorbed by the USL.

http://m.uticaod.com/article/20100823/NEWS/308239916

NSL2004 and SteveCo repped this.
  13. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No wonder you want an arena in Dundalk (Eastpoint) that way you can walk or ride your bike to the arena. Next think you will say that Ed Hale will only approve an arena location that not only includes public transportation but also bike racks! Eastpoint Mall is right across from a large Sewage Plant (Back River) Great Location!

14. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I just want to see someone run over eastpoint mall ,

15. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Have not been to Eastpoint Mall in many years, has it really gotten that bad or is it mostly vacant? The one good thing about an Arena location there is that it is right off of 695.

16. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That mall has gone down him big time , and it has a lot of vacant stores , They put a new one in and it closes with in 6 months.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From February 8, 2016:

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Lewis, when WILL you admit you have no idea?

Scooge repped this.
  18. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    He will answer soon enough........he is probably waiting on the bus to show up to drive him home.

SteveCo repped this.
  19. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe but that bus is going to take a long time to get there from Monterrey!

20. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you still have no clue Ken . You have no idea what took place at the meeting and there is a reason we are all back together.

21. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've been consistently wrong about the IPL. You scoffed at the idea that the Blast would return to the MASL. You insisted the IPL would have a lot more than four teams. You suggested that the Wave and Mustangs would jump to the IPL. You kept saying that the IPL already had more than four teams and announcements were forthcoming. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

You may have had an inside source for your information but did you ever stop to think that the source may have been deliberately misleading you?

the shelts, SteveCo and NSL2004 repped this.
  22. Cardinal25

Cardinal25 New Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Or the more you lie you eventually convince yourself its true

NSL2004 repped this.
  23. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #273 Brian in Boston, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Well, not ALL of us.

The teams that were supposed to represent Atlanta, Buffalo, Lehigh Valley, Portland (Maine), and Utica in the IPL are conspicuously absent from the lineup of MASL member-franchises. Ditto for the Chicago-based IPL team that Jeff Kraft was going to own.

Further, despite the fact that he's been freed from the burden of serving as commissioner of the IPL, "Soccer Sam" Fantauzzo hasn't had a thing to say about the revival of the Rochester Lancers as an MASL franchise. Given his knowledge of the Rochester soccer scene, as well as the free time he has on his hands now that the IPL has gone belly up, you'd think Sam would know what was up with regard to the IPL Lancers making the move to the MASL.

Oh, and come to think of it, someone was bandying about rumors - no doubt picked up from well-placed "inside sources" - that the Wichita Wings were a good bet to resurface in the IPL. I wonder why the Wings haven't been announced as an MASL side?

Well, unless someone on these boards "has an idea" of what happened to the aforementioned eight indoor soccer teams, we'll all just have to wait until CBS Sports Network's coverage of the MASL provides us with the answers. Or was the MASL's new broadcast partner going to be NBCSN? No, wait! It was Fox Sports 1. Well, maybe FS2.

Damn! Who is in-the-know enough to provide us with a "clue" as to what happened to all of the rumored potential IPL franchises? Who? WHO?!?!?!?

24. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Also I was told Providence was 100% in. There were also two or three more Florida teams and a North Carolina team (I think).

Not to mention Syracuse, Missouri, Chicago, Cedar Rapids, and Las Vegas were all definitely joining the IPL right?

SteveCo repped this.
  25. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Well, Sam actually said something about the Lancers on 8/29/16 via his website, www.soccersam.com...

"I'm hoping that after the elections in November, someone steps up to help pro teams in NY state with Workman's Comp issues. I would love to relaunch the Rochester Lancers next season."

I can't help with any of the other items previously mentioned.