GvB -> Barca Under Real Consideration

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Gunnersaurus, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    BBC Online is reporting genuine interest from both sides. Uh-oh.

-G. Rex

2. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Allow me to be the first to hope for some sort of deal which sees Puyol coming to London in exchange.

3. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the "Dick hard on Chelsea/Arsenal stars" story gives some addtional insight as to why this happend.

4. Suckafree

Suckafree Member

Sep 16, 2002
    B-Town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    *sniff*

I'll miss those 2 goals in 60+ games, and his complete inability to cover for Cole at LB, even though he (inexplicably) sometimes plays there for the Dutch national team.

At GBP 8M+, he was Wenger's second-worst signing, just behind the jug-eared flop. I wonder how much wage relief this give us?

6. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gio was unlucky to injure his knee a couple of seasons ago when he was just starting to play some good stuff in the midfield alongside Vieira. unfortunately for him he never managed to break back into the team. I don't know how the Dutch national team get away with him at left-back either as he really isn;t cut out for it. Good luck to him at Barca.

7. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Dwinkler,

Totally unfair! First Gio has a massive injury, not his fault. Then he is given minimal playing time. When he does play, he's not usually in a role to be a scorer for us. I'm admittedly a big fan of his and I do realize that his time here wasn't super productive. But I'd rate him similar to Edu and if he were given a regular role in midfield I think he would become a fan favorite. Regardless, he's got more talent than Ray Parlour, why can't we loan HIM out?

(like how I changed it to an anti-Parlour thread from an anti-GvB thread?)

8. GJ40

GJ40 Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Apex
    Gio may have more talent than Ray Parlor but he doesn't have the same impact. Parlour is a very good role player. He comes on when needed and makes a difference. His work rate is outstanding. I like Gio but I don't think he'll be missed.

GJ40