Gut resigns while Tony goes to NY

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RightCorner, Nov 17, 2004.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Cronin went at the end of the first round to SJ. Pickens went later in the second round to CHI. Considering every pick above Hesmer was p40, on a full contract (senior roster or Nunez's JI deal) or went overseas (Gregorio), that pick was just on the edge of where the "sure" talent ended. That pick was followed by 3 developmental players with little playing time and then Wells (Metrostars backup) to start the 3rd round. Starting in the 3rd round and on, only about half the picks made MLS rosters. The draft was about 14 deep in "sure bet" talent (p40s that are roster exempt and guys that played solid minutes. #15 left for Europe. #16 was cut (TI) midseason. So just missed out on being a high pick. But still, the #2 GK in the draft.

No GK's were taken in the first 2 rounds of 2003, and only one (Singer the 29th pick) is on a MLS roster (and is DEV-3rd string). GK's develop late and can be DEV through 25 years old.

In 2002, the only guy I recognize as a GK in the first 2 rounds was Jon Busch (#23) though #24 Mike McGinty might have been a GK too. But Busch was no college grad, he had been in the A-League for a while. I don't notice any other current MLS keepers in that draft.

In 2001, Ring was #33. Though Countess was added midseason in a lottery draft and if signed earlier would have been drafted.

2000 was a relative flood of MLS keepers with Adin Brown #3, Jon Conway #27, and Rimando #36. Oshoniyi was a 4th round pick but had been in MLS before (returning A-League).

Before 2000, p40s weren't in the draft but I don't see many keepers I recognize drafted too highly (none in 1999, Jordan #10 and Reis #26 in 98, Presthus #20 and Hartman #29 in 97, Snitko #5, Cassar #8, and Grafer #19 in 96). Of the p40s, Vallow in 99 and Howard in 98 stand out.

So there's not a long track record of getting starting GK's in the college draft, especially in the first 2 rounds. So that was a high pick "for a GK", but it's not like any of the next 16 (except maybe Stephenson at #28) were solid contributors in 2004 until Gros was picked at #34.

Current MLS starters:
    Ring #33 (soon to be surplanted by Thornton a 7th round inaugural draft pick)
    Busch #23 (not a college senior but an A-League GK)
    Rimando #36
    Walker (replacement out of Chile, was 28th pick of 96 supplemental draft)
    Reis #26 (Brown #3)
    Cannon (allocation out of A-League)
    Cassar #8 (Garlick IIRC signed out of USL - div 3 USISL - by DC)
    Meola (original allocation) & Oshoniyi - 4th rounder returning from A-League, but 5th rounder 96 inaugural draft)
    Hartman #29
    Onstad (discovery out of A-League)

so only 1 was a taken in the top 2 rounds out of college though Meola, Onstad, and Walker were pro in 1996 and ineligible for the college draft. Only Meola was brought into MLS as a start its first several years. So is there a point here? Hesmer at 23 y/o, relatively a high pick for a GK, is older than only 2 current MLS GK's. Countess who may start for RSL (if they don't get Keller). And Cronin, 3rd string in SJ. Only GK's within 2 years of his age - Perkins, Wells, Singer, with Foss, Rimando, and Popik within 3 years. He's very young for a GK, but Meola and Bo are #'s 2 and 3 on the list of old keepers in the league. Relatively high pick for a keeper, but young compared to most who get playing time.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first read the "Gut resigns while Tony goes..." part of the thread title, I thought it meant that Meola finally started hitting the gym. :D

-G

3. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    No one cares. Go away. If you must lead a charge, try one off of a high cliff over jagged crags.

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Re: Long history of GK draftees

Yes there is a history. It's a history indicative of most keepers coming to MLS through the draft, nothing else. KC's problem is the retention of a #1 starter for a team making title runs, not a rebuilding effort or the like. Trading Meola means one thing to me, that being the visible erosion of skill being too much to tolerate the larger salary of a great veteran. Business.

The aftermath is 1. What do you get for Meola in return? 2. Who starts?

We can't judge too harshly yet because value and answers to both questions may be what comes back. Obvious Man: Certainly Keller would be the best possible outcome, duh! To me any keeper Bo or above should do OK behind the KC D. Winning titles will require a level above what we have seen from Bo - especially sans Zags. Looks like Nick will be back as Brann has declaired Nick "too light". Not a shock as that was exactly how Esky ripped him in the final...anyway.

Hesmer may be the guy for '05 or '07 and beyond. Is he the guy now? Hmmm. If he is and it works then CJ is a brilliant soccer personell guy and I retract all previous insinuations to the contrary. I'll retain my betting money for now however. The reserve league will provide 10 games or so for a better look at him.

Also of note is the Cap room with Meola gone. If I had confidence in the FO maximizing the cap by signing a name of note and prowess that appears on the field consistently, I would be more enthused at Tony's ouster. Quick, name a high salary CJ signee that has panned out. Name an SI? If you answered "Simu" than you have pretty much completed both lists. I would point out that Simu has limited success and has racked up many DNPs with the successes. Welcome to the Cap, pick up an oar.

Not to discount, but...the "underappreciated guys make a great team" theory employed since '01 has produced a USOC won virtually at home, and a string of playoff almosts in the Cup. Dare I say, resigning Preki or Hendu, not trading for Wolff, signing an SI of quality, or having better drafts would have done more to cure that deficiency than anything else, but past is past and I digress.

In the meantime there is trade, the college draft, a signing window, and a preseason. We need to wait to see what the roster is in February after trips abroad to really judge the current quality of thought on the East side of Arrowhead.