Guevara to get a raise?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Nov 12, 2004.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Now we know what all the talk over the summer about him not coming back because of the officiating was really all about:

"Guevara said all the right things yesterday. He didn't bring up the possibility of a raise from his estimated $200,000 annual contract to the league maximum of $270,000.

"Probably I'll reach an agreement with the front office," he said at the ESPNZone at Disneyland. "I just want to be on the team again - for a long time. Four, five years, whatever they can give me."

Also, he joins the long list of Metros who have already stated that this team needs some grizzly experienced veterans:

"There has to be some changes," he said. "In Honduras there is a saying, 'Young players win games, but can't win championships.'"

Well said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/251896p-215667c.html

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Good man. He probably hopes to play his final season in our own stadium. In 4 or 5 years we just might come up with something like a reasonable facsimile.

Now, when do we get our first hairy Bulgarian vet to help us win a title?

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm surprised he's not making the max. Is it possible SGR gets more?
    Amado is the best Metro & now league MVP. If he can control his temper & Honduras fail to make the hex, he should have an even better 2005.

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    SGR does make more.

Several articles have had his salary at almost 300K. According to SoccerAmerica's listing of player salaries (posted before Galvan Ray joined the Metros), Guevara made about $225K this year:

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562134198

5. Metro_tico

Metro_tico New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    I like your thinking!

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I'm happy he is a Metro.

7. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    You guys need to see all the whining going on because he won MVP.

Some bullplop about him not being deserving enough.