Guerrero a Quake

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bjgcheese, Nov 21, 2007.

1. bjgcheese

bjgcheese Member

May 25, 2007
    NEW YORK -- Major League Soccer held its 2007 Expansion Draft on today for the League's 14th team, the San Jose Earthquakes, with the team selecting 10 players to begin constructing its roster for the 2008 season. The Earthquakes selected one player each from 10 of the 13 MLS teams. The Colorado Rapids, Kansas City Wizards and Real Salt Lake were the three teams that did not have a player selected in the draft. Each of the 13 teams was allowed to protect 11 players, leaving all others unprotected and available for selection by the Earthquakes. Below is the complete list of players selected in the 2007 MLS Expansion Draft.
    1. Ryan Cochrane (Houston Dynamo)
    2. Clarence Goodson (FC Dallas)
    3. Ned Grabavoy (Columbus Crew)
    4. James Riley (New England Revolution)
    5. Joseph Vide (New York Red Bulls)
    6. Ivan Guerrero (Chicago Fire)
    7. Brian Carroll (D.C. United)
    8. Jason Hernandez (Chivas USA)
    9. Gavin Glinton (LA Galaxy)
    10. Chris Pozniak (Toronto FC)

The San Jose Earthquakes, Major League Soccer's 14th team, will begin play in the Western Conference in the 2008 season at Buck Shaw Stadium on the campus of Santa Clara University.

2. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I knew it. I held out some hope Yallop would pass on Ivan, but he didn't . . . I wouldn't.

Dang!

3. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nobody would. He's that damned good. Well, maybe Lalas would, cuz he's an idiot, but his bosses wouldn't.

4. snowblind

snowblind Member

Mar 31, 2002
    n side chicago
    I will miss the hardest working man in show business.

5. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Good point, Lalas may have picked Sarachan . . . he was on the list somewhere I'm sure.

6. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. Good luck Ivan you'll be missed.

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the best player available

8. mchughes

mchughes New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on the brightside, with armas and wanchope retiring and Guerrero gone. That frees up about 650k. i dont know how much that means salary cap wise, but hopefully we can get some Conde like players for next season.

9. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course he took him. Leaving him unprotected was a huge error in judgment. It's insane. He was injured and on a crappy team (early season Chicago Fire) before that. He had some great skills, and consistently looked as if he were far more experienced than the other players around him.

I will never understand people who didn't like his play.

He was doing well with Blanco, and I wanted to see what they could do together next season. I'm disappointed.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was/is a damn fine player who the Fire will miss. In my opinion he did what we as fans ask of our players, he bled Fire red. I wish him the best of luck with San Jose.

11. On the Road Again

On the Road Again New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I hate to see Ivan go. As has been mentioned several times, he was probably one of, if not the, hardest working guy on the field when he was healthy. I imagine it was a tough decision not to protect him and it pretty much came down to numbers at the positions. Carr was protected in order for us to have three experienced forwards while we have a number of midfielders, including Mapp, coming back. In any event, best wishes in San Jose, Ivan.

12. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ivan was good, and ran his ass off

Best of luck

13. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodbye Ivan, hope your ankle is good...thanks for everything.

This is for you:

:eek:"there was something in the air that night, the stars were bright, Guerrero..."

14. snowblind

snowblind Member

Mar 31, 2002
    n side chicago
    ABBA??? Jesus, hasn't he had a bad enough day already?

15. chitown

chitown New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Chicago
    I think it no secret I'm seriously seriously seriously seriously bummed we lost Ivan.

I think when healthy this guy was a gem of a player for us and I do hoep he does not come back to haunt us

16. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    This doesnt make much sense on the surface. A very good hardworking player and nice guy. I believe he even had his green card or whatever and no longer counted as an SI. The only thing i can think of is that maybe his injury is more serious than we were told. Maybe needs some big time surgery.

$650,000 in salry space can get you 1 great striker or two good ones.

17. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Too small to replace Segares, too old to replace Mapp, too expensive to replace Pause.

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will echo these sentiments. I am not happy to see Ivan go, but he was one of the highest paid players (outside of Blanco), so I hope the Fire can find a suitable replacement.

I would have preferred Diego to leave (older and not nearly as talented), I am disappointed, but I am not gutted about Ivan. He was a (very) good player (and no longer an SI), and it would have been interesting to see him play just behind Blanco (in Armas' role), but c'est la vie.

Best of luck to you Ivan. I will cheer for you to succeed...except against the Fire.

19. Thebizkit

Thebizkit New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Yep.

Thats 160,000 more off the cap.

To ReCAP
    Wanchope 240,000
    Chris Armas 225,000
    Guerrero 160,000

so far thats

625,000 free'd up.

I think the Fire left Guerrero open just for this can happen. Smart move by the Fire to open up some money for possible signings or pay raises.

20. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I was surprised that Guerrero was left unprotected at the expense of CJ. Both are fairly expensive older players.

I have to assume that Guerrero's injury situation factored in. Ivan's injury kept him out months longer than planned and he never made it back.

21. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CJ will be 33 in June. Ivan will be 31 in November. But CJ was our best defender last year...a Fire original that bleeds red...and encourages other teams to do the same...losing CJ would have sucked worse.

I'm sure the ankle was the deciding factor.

22. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Agree with all of this, but I doubt that CJ would have been taken. That's part of the gamesmanship in all this.

23. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/soccer_redcard/2007/11/guerrero-decisi.html

Guppy disagrees.

24. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
  25. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Yeah - I think they would have taken CJ. As bummed as I am that Ivan is leaving, the concept of CJ Brown doing his post game jig anywhere other than in front of Section 8 is unthinkable.

Good luck Mr. Guerrero and thanks for your service.