Guatemala vs USA 7/3/15

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by LesG9, Jun 28, 2015.

1. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    And once again.

2. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Contreras(or however you spell his name) missed two good open shots

3. MauriceDel-Taco

Nov 20, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well 4-0 is better than 6-0 I suppose. They didn't play good but they weren't overly terrible either. Missed a few chances that could've saved us some embarrassment but considering that the US are heavy favorites to win the whole thing, I thought this friendly was a good warm up for the boys heading into the Gold Cup. I just hope to god Carlos Castrillo never has to play for the NT again.

Tecunuman repped this.
  4. Tecunuman

Tecunuman Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Este marcado es un marcador falso doesn't show the work put in by Guate. Will Enoc in the back Guatemala will be much more solid in the back and Castrillo is going to have to go.

The Referee was garbage lets hope we don't get coaches like that for the gold cup.

I can really see Guatemala going through the next round with these players. Good friendly for Guatemala to get in rhythm for the Goldcup.

edcalvi and MauriceDel-Taco repped this.
  5. LesG9

LesG9 Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Overall I think we all can agree that the way Guate played the first half reflected on the work that Sopegno is doing, second half I still see Pappa and Moyo that they're not fully committed, making stupid mistakes and fancy footwork while we loosing 3-0 really. Castrillo don't deserve to be in our Sele and I'm sure Sopegno will let him go after GC.

6. LesG9

LesG9 Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    I think we will give Mexico a run for their money, with Enoc and Moises back in our defense we will be solid. Cincotta up top with Pappa and Chinchilla and either fish and Campollo will be better. Welcome new members to Guate thread

Tecunuman repped this.
  7. Itzallboutgtown

Mar 27, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Fish is done, he is toooo slow.. I rather see campollo than fish upfront!!!

aramada repped this.
  8. OnTheeRize

OnTheeRize Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I think he is slow too but honestly he is still the best we got and its not even close. His high goleador IQ, one touches, and positioning (when not offsides) is enough to make him an undisputed starter.

I like how we played today. The press and fans will critisize Sopengo but i would definitely keep him for 2018 no matter what happens in the gold cup

Plus he is giving different players a chance to shine so we may see new MLS players soon. I hope Contreras, Lopez/defense, and Marques come to MLS they seemed to stand out the most to American brodcasters (besides Ruiz or Pappa)

9. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Just finished watching the US/Guate game recording

1st half: pretty damn impressed. We created chances, attacked the ball well, stayed focused, most importantly we played with CONFIDENCE. The back line stayed solid Lopez and Lalin looked totally different than the Uruguay game, props to them. Even Castrillo did well regardless of the OG mistake. Mejia impressed me on the wing and Herrarte showed some speed covering Yedlin.

2nd half: First 20 mins looked awful. Sloppy play from Contreras and Pappa, totally un-necessary. Contreras' 2 misses from clear chances from were gut wrenching. However the 2nd chance came about from a good attack, have to look at the positives. Marquez brings nothing to our team. The guy outright sucks. Castrillo has to go too. First half OG, i'll give you that it was a mistake. But the penal was stupid, you take the guy down then step on him and knee him? He's a mediocre defender and was awful when he was put into the attack. Guy needs to just go away and not be called up anymore.

Even though the score doesn't show it we played a very good game. Like Guti said, it definitely shows that Sopegno's coaching is paying off. I'm really hoping we do well in the GC.

ChaChaFut and edcalvi repped this.
  10. dezeptus

dezeptus Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Agreed Dre.. I think they keep calling Castrillo because of his build, and since it was the US I can see why his build would merit a chance out there but yeah.. he was complete garbage and has probably cemented his place on the bench for the Gold Cup.

11. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones

I think one of the reasons we look better in the first half was that we were pressing with Arreola and Herrarte who offer mobility and track back so we had 5 players in the middle.....pappa and contreras for all their qualities don't offer these.....also in the first half the usa was playing with a 4-4-2 diamond whereas in the second half they changed to a regular 4 4 2 so they had wingers so it was 2 vs one on the wings

12. LesG9

LesG9 Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    I think Sopegno will have to make a hard decision of either starting Pappa or Contreras, is obvious he can't start both as we saw on the second half, they don't recover balls and that's why our D got a beat down

13. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    I think both can definitely play together if we switch to a back 4 with contreras in front of aparicio and de leon holding pappa on the right and either cincotta or cuilapa on the left. .....unfortunately we won't see that because we don't have a right back (castrillo doesn't count) and sopegno is married to the back 5 because he thinks it makes us solid on defense (which so far has proven to be the complete opposite )

14. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    He'll HAVE TO start both against T&T and Mexico because we need the best out there. If Rodas had more playing time I'd say put him out instead of Contreras.

15. Ben Fossen

Ben Fossen Member

Jun 16, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Rodas isnt in the Gold Cup roster though. He didnt make the final cut which was a surprise.

16. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    I disagree .....rodas gives me the impression that he's a "pecho frio".....the dude looks disinterest half of the time , scared a 1/4 of the time , and only look good the other 1/4....that's why sopegno didn't put him against uruguay after the mexico game and more importantly left him out of the gold cup

17. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Aww ********...well i'm a dumbass. My bad yall....my bad.

How about this, take Herrarte on the right and have Pappa be your play maker/ball distributor?

Herrarte has good speed and good D

18. dezeptus

dezeptus Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I'd go Hernandez and Cincotta as part of your back 4, Mejia and Herrarte as your wings with Aparicio and Marquez defensive mids with Fish and Pappa up front (Pappa below Fish). Contreras cambio for Pappa in the 2nd half or vice versa

Ben Fossen repped this.
  19. LesG9

LesG9 Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Well bad news lads, Moises and Enoc freaking injured and doubtful for the game vs T&T

20. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    We're screwed then.....Castrillo an accident waiting to happen, Ruben dario a dude with a massive chip o his shoulder who gets beat by speed and strength, lalin suffers lapses in concentration and finally dennis lopez has the touch and coordination of donkey and his flaws will get exposed if he plays as a wingback....and jerez for all his leadership and confidence manages to always underperformed on international duty.........overall I would say am extremely optimistic about this match .....YOLO...