Growth models. What % do you use?

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Andy_B, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I believe growth models are relatively useless because of the rolle coaster like ride of most investments.

That being said, one still needs to get a rough idea of where one will be in the coming decades to determine how much to save/invest today to meet what ever goals you might have.

What % growth do people on here use in their models?

I have used a 6% growth model for my portfolio. It is a bit conservative (especially no accounting for inflation), but I would much rather be conservative when modeling.

For my expense growth (ie how much I will be spending come retirement), I usually take what I am spending per month and tack on 4% per year.

I then use the expense growth and the portfolio growth to determine when I can retire and not have money run out before I retire.

I am more comfortable predicting my portfolio growth that I am my expense growth.

Andy

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    A family member who is retired and rather conservative, likes to aim closer to 8-10%. He uses an advisor that comes highly reccomended, and has delivered this on average throughout the years (from what I was told.) This is through a diversified portfolio primarily of actively managed mutual funds both equity and fixed income.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Although 8%-10% minus inflation is closer to 6% in reality.

I go with 6% to take inflation into account.

Sachin

4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is what I am doing logical?

1) Use 6% growth for portfolio
    2) Track expense growth using a 4% inflation

I guess I get confused a bit when people talk about inflation and portfolio growth. Do people factor inflation into their growth models so that they can have a better idea of what the money would be like in todays $'s?

If that is so, I am probably ok with my system, because I track my expense growth which covers inflation so that I can see what I am spending in tomorrows dollars.

Just a matter of perspective I guess

Andy

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I'll let Sachin or someone else handle this. It looks right to me, but my world is more in the stock trading area.

6. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to be a trustee on my previous employer's 401K plan, and we used 8% for growth in portfolio. From all the advice and information I used to hear/read. I think that's about right. It's what I use, anyway.