Group Play in Germany Will Be Difficult for the U.S.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by auf Amerika, Jul 5, 2005.

1. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ

This is the most ignorant post ever on BS! Congrats! Please stop watching Italy from '70! Cattenaccio has not been in vogue in Italy for about 25 years. The current Italy squad plays 2 pure forwards (Gilardino, Cassano, Vieri take your picks), one attacking MF (usually Totti), one attacking right-winger (Camoranessi), one attacking MF in a deep lying DM role (Pirlo), and one left-winger playing as an attacking LB ala Carlos style (Zambrotta). Please list another team in Europe or South America that plays with so many attacking players.

Oh, and Italy has played USA in several "Major Tournaments". The results:

Italy-USA 7-1 (WC '34)
    Itlay-USA 1-0 (WC '90)
    Italy-USA 2-1 (Olympics '92)
    Italy-USA 3-1 (WYC '05)

So please, be careful what you wish for. Since 1970 (generally considered the "rebirth" of Italian nats soccer) Italy has played 27 1st round games and their record is 14 wins, 10 ties, 3 losses. Only Brazil and Germany have better records over that period!

2. Palmetto Soccer

Palmetto Soccer New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Playing an attacking lineup does not produce goals. I could care less how many wing backs, attacking midfielders, withdrawn forwards or deep-lying girls the Italians put on the field. Italy still cannot score in major tournaments. The Italians will continue to dive and flounder around in the box, caring more for their hairstyle than the ball.

The Italians are way behind the Czech Republic, Holland, Brazil and Argentina in terms of attacking football. Italy dreams of having a player with the skill and flair of Kaka, Nedved, Robben, or Tevez...but instead they're stuck with Totti.

Four times! The US has played Italy four times. That's exactly my point. Bring on the Italians!...and their hair, belly button rings and back tattoos. US v. Italy first round 2006.

3. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    I fear you may be underestimating the abilities of some elements of the established soccer powers to delude themselves about American soccer.

4. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    No moron, you're point as quoted directly from you was that USA has NEVER met Italy in a major tournament (nice back-peddle though).

What's your point of refernece for "Italy not being able to score in major tournaments"? Last time I looked Italy has been amogst the best teams (both attack and defense at all the WC's sinc 1970 with the exception of '02. Please troll somewhere else!

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy will name their best players and they'll do ok in the Group Phase. More than likely, the players will suffer from lack of playing time together. (Unless Totti, Cassano, and Gilardino move teams and play together somewhere).

6. Palmetto Soccer

Dec 28, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Forgive my ignorance.

My recent point of reference for Italy's goal scoring deficiencies is Euro 2004. In my opinion (just my opinion), Italy's current squad is highly overrated. I believe the US matches up great against this squad and could really embarrass them. I specify the current Italian squad. Italy has had some great teams in the past, but I believe this current squad is lacking.

Euro 2004 Results:
    Italy v. Denmark 0-0
    Sweden v. Italy 1-1
    Italy v. Bulgaria 2-1

Goals scored: Cassano 2, Perotta 1.

7. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Right. And part of that conspiracy theory is that the US can't do too well in WC 2006 because then they'd be seeded in WC 2010. The Project 2010 fix says that we have to be put into host SA's group, thus allowing an easy path to the finals. [/cynacism] [/sarcasm]

8. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    Oh, sorry about that. One tournament failure is definitely an indication of the overall nats program for a country with a soccer history like Italy :rolleyes:

Hey Spain didn't make it out of the group phase in Portugal, I'm sure we'd be a lock to beat them. How about Germany? No 2nd round for them either, they should be a pushover for the WC 1st round.

9. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Germany? well we played against USA in quarter-finale, but Ballack
    is fault:) that you lost despite you played better then Germany.
    I think Germany-USA will meet in WC 06 again.

Be also aware that Germany 06 will be different from Germany 02
    and USA 06 will be different as well.!

I think Germany will be successful team in WC 06.

10. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No host has ever failed to advance.

11. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Actually, You are wrong.

CONCACAF may not be in the same pot(pool) as Africa.

If we figure Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and 5 UEFA teams are the seeds this is what we know so far.

1. The 8 seeds will be in the first pot

2. 8 UEFA teams will be in another pot.

That's all we know at this time

We are left with 1 UEFA, 5 Africa, 3 SA/Oceania (I'll just call it SA from now on), 3 or 2 CONCACAF, and 4 or 5 Asia.

The 7 CONCACAF / ASIA teams could easily be grouped with the 1 extra UEFA nation in 1 pot. 5 Africa could be grouped with the 3 SA teams.

Don't assume that the groupings will be the same as the last few cups. FIFA can easily change things up this time. It makes perfect sense to get different regions playing each other in the group stage of the Cup.

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Group play in the WC is ALWAYS difficult. Thats what makes the WC so much fun--all standings, predictions, etc. go out the window. Teams are as likely to get drubbed by a 3rd world backwater as they are Brazil. In 2006 the US will be lucky to get out of the group section--and that is no insult to the US. Look at all the top class teams that fail every four years. That being said, we could make it to the semi's just as well. Hope and wish for it, just don't expect it.

13. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    I was being sarcastic with the original poster who said that Italy can't score and we would upset them, and they can't play all because of Euro 2004. I said that if this is the case, we should also be glad to be grouped with Spain or germany who also crashed out of Euro 04 in the 1st round (I was being defensive because I am Italian-American and love both teams). Actually, I think USA geting drawn with any of the seeded teams would be a real fight and none of them would be easy. Germany especially because you'll be the home team and that definitely counts for something.

As for Ballack, please stop reminding me of that nightmare ;) !!

14. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Right words, like from me:). This is what I was trying to say.
    I really don´t see any sense to make any big speculation about
    groups in WC 06. It is simply not possible to make any forecast
    for "BEST GROUP" for the USA. But of course it is nice to
    hear your opinion here, to know what Americans thinks about us
    Europeans or about "their best group" for WC06. It is funny.
    It is funny to read that many American still are "afriad" of european
    soccer style. Some of your are more confident and says that
    USA could beat eveyone even Germany as well. It is interesting
    to read it. Of course there is really no need to think that USA
    is not so good as European!. Everyone is equal. If you qualify
    for WC, it means you are on the board of the "BEST" in international
    soccer. Think how many countries even don´t qualify for WC.
    Who knows, maybe France will not manage it either. But does
    it make from France "not good" soccer country?. Not it does not make.

I think this make this sport so interesting. Because
    you never what happens.

The only rule is: the game has 90 minutes and everything is possible.
    This is what I think.

I mostly like at soccer. SURPRISE EFFECT!
    It would be boring, if we already knew that this or that country
    will win WC:). Don´t you think?

So now back to our discussion.
    I like to reading your opinions here.

Bltleo
    germany

15. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    E. Johnson, Donovan, Beasley, Lewis, O'Brien

If those players are on the field healthy and in-form, the U.S. offense is something not many teams want to have to deal with. Because of this talent in our starting lineup, teams can no longer take us for granted, especially in an elimination game where anything can happen. The big thing that Bruce needs to accomplish between now and WC 2006 (assuming we qualify, of course) is to find that one offensive player on the bench that the opposing coach must plan for if he comes in late in the game. We need that one bench player that makes the opposing team say, "Oh crap," if and when he enters during a tie game.

16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hello flux82. I don´t know you yet. Never read your post.
    But I like your comment here. I´m glad you had put Donovan and
    O Brien to your list. I like both. Yes, the advantage of USA is - as I told -
    your aggressivity and your good ofense. Even German are a bit "afraid" of your
    ofense or I would better say we have respect of your ofense. German usualy
    never say they are afraid:) (just one secret from German). I think Bruce don´t need accomplish between now and WC 06. He knows what to do.
    He takes it easy and he never do any strategy, he always change it:)
    It is your advantage. But we already talked about this.

How about your keeper? How good is he?
    Just curius about your opinon.

your bltleo
    from germany

17. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    I honestly think Kasey Keller is one of the best keeper's in the world. Always seems to make the big save and does not panic when the pressure gets high. I think we are in any game because of him, which gives us the chance to pull the big upset; I think most of the soccer world would agree with this, especially Romario.

18. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    of the 32 teams to be in germany, i'd say the usa offense is somewhere in the middle, at best...

defensive composure, and NOT making mistakes will be the usa strength....

perosnally, I'd like usa to play a bit more of as counter game using the mobility of beasley, donovan and ej...play into space a create chances...

expecting usa to out possess the good teams simply won't happen...

defensive pressure to turn the ball over and create transition offense is the other avenue to success...

usa won't we walking the ball up the pitch with a chorus of ole(s)

19. Palmetto Soccer

Dec 28, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Who cares about history come game time? Just ask Germany how much history helped them escape against the US in 2002. Besides Brazil, you've got these power countries that everyone thinks are unbeatable. Just look at all the recent tournaments. France and Argentina failed to make the second round in 2002. Holland did even participate in the 2002 tournament. The gap is closing for the super powers. These countries are failing to make it to the second round...besides Brazil. Brazil is head and shoulders above every team in the world right now. To say the US has no chance against Italy because they have a great history is absolutely ridiculous.

As for Spain, they are definitely a question mark right now. Look at the trouble they're having in qualifying right now. And Germany, we've definitely proven we can play with them on any given day.

You need to look at the current squads. Soccer is also a fickle game. At the world cup, anyone can beat anyone...besides Brazil. Italy is vulnerable right now and the US could exploit their weaknesses. Again, I want Italy in the group stage.

20. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....??? no they aren't....in the last month they have lost to argentina and Mexico and tied with Japan....you are basing your opinion on ONE game....Brazil WILL NOT win the WC next year...(save this post to use against me)....book it....

21. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hello England66, my english friend
    I also think that Brazil will not win the WC next year...
    I saw all games of Brazil during Confederation Cup and you are right
    they did not show the excellent soccer we know from the past..
    since we are discussing here about which group will be difficult for U.S
    What do you think about game USA-England?
    Can you imagine that USA and England will be in the same group?
    I know you like England and you like USA team.

thank you
    your bltleo from Germany

22. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    I say bring it on. We are a world class team. I don't want a "Best Case" senario to pan out putting us against mediocre teams. I say "Give me the 'Group of Death' or give me...Death?"

23. Palmetto Soccer

Dec 28, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    You're delusional... Brazil is king. They've won two out of the last three world cups. Brazil rules. I'm basing my opinion on fact. No one can field a lineup that touches Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldino, Kaka and Ronaldo. Brazil will make it to the final. If you want to win the World Cup, you have to beat Brazil in the final.

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....the one they didn't win was played in.......Europe !

.....the next one is played in.........Europe !

25. Daren Spencer

Daren Spencer New Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Chico,California

France did have to beat Brazil in the final as Palmetto points out......however, if Ronaldo had not smoked crack before the game, France would have lost easily.......... :D