Group of Life where maybe everyone has a chance

Discussion in 'Group H: Belgium, Algeria, South Korea, Russia' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    But while I understand the point you are making, and it applies to the AFC as well, I just don't get why Algeria are ranked so differently by FIFA and ELO? The disparity surprised me.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If I were to venture a guess than the FIFA format which means that 50% of points are from the last year helped Algeria significantly as they had 7 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss (the draw and loss against similarly ranked opposition). That means that Algeria has a significant 490 points for the last year alone, which is more than teams like England, France, Croatia or Russia.

ELO has a longer memory, so their poor showing at the 2013 AFCON, not qualifying for the 2012 AFCON and the poor 2010 World Cup still count heavily against them.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't recall Algeria playing as negatively as some are suggesting. Their games weren't the most exciting, but actually that is because most of the action was often in the middle of the pitch. They basically neither created much in terms of chances nor allowed their opponent to create many chances either. In fact, at the risk of incriminating the team I root for, their style of play reminded me of how teams that Carlos Queiroz coach usually play. Not anti-football so much as simply boring.

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Thats my definition of anti-football.

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

Good post, a lot of ignorance regarding Algeria. I hope they can have a better outing this time, 2010' especially that Slovenia match was really dissapointing.

6. DzFooty

DzFooty Member

Feb 22, 2014
    #31 DzFooty, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

I can't give you a good answer on that because I don't know how the formula's work exactly. One thing I'm convinced about is that NONE of the rankings are correct. If I had to choose though, I would trust FIFA's ranking the most (even though they have Algeria a little bit high). At the very least, I can calculate the FIFA rankings on my own and there is transparency in how the numbers are calculated. When it comes to ELO and SPI, they use special formulations that cannot be checked as easily so there is little oversight in how the numbers are being produced.

ELO in general tends to underrate African sides when plotted against the rest of the world. This probably has a lot to do with Africa's poor World Cup performances. If you think about it though, the World Cup is played every four years, and using Africa's bad history against them is pretty silly when you consider the small simple size. ELO has Algeria as the 7th best African side right now - just a shade below South Africa and Cameroon. I'd argue that Algeria is much better than South Africa and as good as Cameroon; I still think the rankings are fair in that the teams are separated by less than 10 points. I do believe ELO ranks Egypt too high, probably because of their continental dominance in the past decade. My biggest issue with ELO is that once you get out of the big 4 (Ivory Coast, Ghana, Egypt, Nigeria), there's a big drop off when it comes to the quality of African squads. If anyone watches the African Cup, they'd notice that this is far from the truth. Africa is a pretty deep confederation. Senegal is ranked 61st by ELO and Morocco is ranked 74th and I think they can beat most international sides on any given day.

SPI is a lot more confusing than ELO. It actually looks like a bunch of nonsense to me. I can't even rationalize how they came up with their rankings. The only good thing with SPI is that they don't underrate CAF as a federation. My problem is SPI ranking Algeria as 16th in the continent! This means that there are 10 other African sides that theoretically should've made it to the World Cup over Algeria. Kind of ridiculous for rankings to suggest that. The most confusing part about SPI is that Algeria is 6-3-4 (W-D-L) against African teams ranked above them in SPI since 2010. How is it possible that Algeria has a winning record against teams ranked above them in the rankings?

SPI also claims that it factors in 'player ratings' in the Top European leagues when calculating the rankings. Firstly, player ratings are a completely subjective measure. Secondly, Algeria has several players that have actually performed really well in Top European leagues and yet they're still ranked below African teams that don't have a single player in these leagues (Zambia, Guinea, Libya, South Africa). Even when you look at the rankings at an international level, Algeria is ranked behind Panama, Uzbekistan, Bolivia, Finland, Venezuela, Belarus, Iceland, and Jamaica. They are barely ranked ahead of New Zealand too. We're talking about Panama which couldn't beat USA's C-squad at home in a vital playoff game. Or New Zealand who got their butt handed to them by a domestic based Mexican squad. I would favor Algeria against all of those teams on neutral ground. This is hardly ground-breaking either. It's not like I'm saying Algeria should be ranked above strong squads like Turkey, Sweden, or Austria. I'm talking about weak teams with bad form and weak squads.

I'm also really skeptical of SPI because it's the only ranking system made by an American. Notice how teams in CONCACAF are ranked very highly: USA (16), Mexico (25), Costa Rica (27), Honduras (32), Panama (46). Really? All of those teams are about 10 spots higher than they should be ranked.

SPI's ranking of CONEMBOL is also confusing: Paraguay (19), Peru (23), Venezuela (34), Bolivia (42). That means the worst team in CONCACAF is 42nd in the world. No way that's true. Bolivia only wins its games at home in the mountains since they play in the thin air (I think it's actually illegal to play matches at these high elevations). Paraguay has been a mess since the the last World Cup. Venezuela only recently started getting good at football (they're better at baseball) but their team hardly warrants such a high rating.

ELO makes some sense since it uses history in overrating many of the European side. SPI is just a complete mess. Don't know why ESPN uses statistician Nate Silver, who doesn't even watch football, to make up rankings for international sides.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    FIFA's rankings are rubbish. In FIFA's universe, Algeria are CAF's #2 team ranked #26, while S.Korea have fallent to #6 in the AFC and now ranked #61. I may be the only person in this thread that has said that S.Korea enjoys no advantage over Algeria and have predicted a draw in that match, but certainly S.Korea against Algeria is not about an Asian team that is much weaker than its African counterpart either. Instead, those nonsensical rankings by FIFA are produced because of clear failings in the methodology FIFA uses.

ELO is the best ranking system when it comes to translating past results out there, with a very sensible methodology, even if it may underrate CAF teams a bit. If it does so, its mainly because of the reasons you and Zahzah have alluded to in terms of CAF's historical results against other confederations. As you hae mentioned, SPI claims to also look at talent, but as you have mentioned and I agree, at the end its rankings appear subjective and frankly quite biased.

I think Zahzah has mentioned what is the main reason why Algeria is ranked comparatively low among CAF teams according to ELO, while ranked so highly by FIFA. That has to the do with the sheer weight given by FIFA to results over the past 12 months. In a rather arbitrary system, FIFA just gives a result from 13 months ago 50% weight, but a result from 11 months ago is given 100% weight. This is just arbitrary even if we all can agree that more recent results are more significant than older results. The flaws in this arbitrary system are aggravated when a side participates in a friendly tournament (whose match points are comparatively low) and ends up seeing the results from its participation in that tournament the focal point of its points with results just falling out of the 12 month window suddenly getting 50% weight and consequently a lot less points. That is what happened to teams like Nigeria and Ghana after the recent CHAN tournament.

People will have their own subjective assessments of how various teams rank and frankly most of the people who rank teams don't know enough about most of them. I haven't seen Algeria play since Wc2010 either but I have my own methodology that I use to give me a rough idea of where a side rank. I basically give results as translated by ELO 60% weight, talent (a subjective measure informed but not determined by objective factors like transfer market values) 20% weight; and pedigree (more objective than subjective) 20% weight. For now, I see Algeria get somewhat better grades when it comes to pedigree and talent than it receives from its overall results.

But regardless of how one rates Algeria, and I have them above Honduras and Costa Rica but behind the rest of the teams in the tournament, I also believe what I wrote in the first message in this thread. This group is wide open and none of the teams are substantially better than the others. Algeria have a chance, may be not as much as some others, but almost as much as S.Korea and maybe even Russia. In fact, my predictions are for Algeria and South Korea to both finish with 2 points from 2 draws, against one another and in Algeria's case against Russia and in S.Korea's case against Belgium.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    After rather disappointing results, S.Korea has been trying out different recipes to find what works for them. I don't think they found their answer in the players they took on their recent tour to the US, so they are trying to find the answer in some hitherto neglected European based players even if the players in question haven't played a while.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2014/02/600_151881.html

9. DzFooty

DzFooty Member

Feb 22, 2014

My comments on the FIFA rankings only applied to its ranking of Algeria - as a whole, FIFA rankings are obviously flawed. The issue with the FIFA rankings here is that all the AFC teams ended their WC qualification in early 2013. This means they haven't played competitive matches since early last year. As a result, this has greatly affected many of the AFC teams in the rankings. A similar phenomenon happened with Brazil since they haven't had a competitive match since 2010 (with the exception of the Confederations Cup).

One thing to note was that the CHAN tournament had no effect on the FIFA rankings for African teams. They're actually not counted at all. The reason why many African teams dropped in the recent rankings is because these are the first rankings that do not include the 2010 African Cup of Nations. This is why Egypt (winners) and Ghana (runner-ups) fell in the latest ranking. In the past 4 years alone, Algeria has been better than both these teams when it comes to their overall winning percentage. That's likely why it was able to rise up higher.

zahzah repped this.
  10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Wrong. The CHAN tournament matches were counted in the FIFA rankings for African teams. And these results were counted as friendlies, which actually hurt the teams that played more such games (Ghana, Nigeria), than those that didn't (Algeria). I have no idea why CAF asked for these results to be counted in the FIFA ranking as it is actually detrimental to CAF's overall ranking. Here's proof they are counted into the ranking total:

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=gha/fixturesresults/gender=m/index.html

Right now Ghana has a meager 300 pts total for the last year, simply because of the amount of 'friendlies' it has supposedly played. Egypt by comparison has 530 pts for the last year. Pray tell - which team is going to the World Cup?

The other significant reason why CAF teams dropped in the ranking is because AFCON 2013 and AFCON 2012 results dropped to 50% and 30% in weight.

As for AFCON 2010: You are wrong. Results from 2010 only constitute 10% of the final total and the effect of these results being scratched off was secondary, apart from Egypt, which basically lost their last source of good points totals in the last four years (apart from the last year, where they have 6 wins and 2 losses, most of which were in Continental qualifications).

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What you say is true, and is one of the main problems with FIFA's rankings. Namely, that you have artificial weight (100% last 12 mos, 50% next etc) and time frame's (12 mos), which then make the schedule a lot more significant than it should be. However, that is only one of the problems and frankly doesn't even explain the poor comparative ranking for the AFC teams by itself, since less than 12 months have passed from the time the AFC qualifiers concluded in mid June 2013 and all the points obtained in those qualifiers still count equally to points teams from other confederations began earning a bit later. In other words, if anything, in some of the earlier rankings, the AFC teams were enjoying a comparative advantage compared to teams from other regions because they had already gained the full points from their qualifiers while other regions had not! (Between AFC teams, however, the scheduling did help teams like Iran and others who were competing in the Asian Cup qualifiers as compared to Japan, S.Korea and Australia. Even so, by August 2013, Iran was already ranked ahead of S.Korea by FIFA and the subsequent Asian Cup qualifiers merely accentuated the difference). Even with that comparative advantage, in August 2013, the AFC sill had only 2 teams in the top 50 according to FIFA. South Korea was not in the top 50 in August 2013 (#56) or any ranking subsequent to that date, last appearing in the top 50 (#43) in July 2013.

The scheduling issue, as I mention, is part of the problem with FIFA's rankings but its not all. The confederations coefficient as well as the fact that there are just a lot less points available to pick up in the AFC compared to other regions are also important reasons as well.

See Zahzah's response.

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    To summarize:
    - Nigeria and Ghana were punished for doing well at the CHAN
    - All top African nations with good performances at the AFCON tournaments were hit by three such tournaments being depreciated in February - 2013 from 100% to 50%, 2012 from 50% to 30% and 2010 20% to 0%.

Just to prove how fickle the FIFA ranking is - the Ghana case is especially telling.

GHANA:
    During the last 12 months period they:
    - Won 5 and lost 1 during World Cup qualifiers;
    - Won 3 and drew 3 (group, PSO win and loss) at the CHAN
    and had 1 win, 1 draw and 2 losses in friendlies (two of those games were local based squads).

Despite the above they have a meager point total of 300 for the last 12 months, which I believe is their lowest point total since 2005. This may be slightly off as I used current FIFA rankings to calculate, but according to my calculations if we remove the local-based squad games Ghana would have had ca 123 FIFA points more!!!

Which would place Ghana 23rd in the world (ahead of Cote d'Ivoire) as opposed to 37th according to the February ranking.

NIGERIA:

If we discard games played with local-based players (Nigeria had 11 such games during the last 12 months, which significantly impacted the FIFA ranking) the difference isn't as drastic, but Nigeria would have ca 75 points more (43rd in the FIFA ranking as opposed to the current 47th).

COTE D'IVOIRE:
    They played two qualifying games with local based players against Nigeria to qualify for the CHAN. If we discard those two results Cote d'Ivoire would have 48 FIFA points more (21st in the world, ahead of Mexico).

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    FIFA rankings are, ultimately, quite rubbish and I notice them only when I really don't know anything about a team and even then with caution, double checking how FIFA rates a side with what ELO and others say. But I do take ELO quite seriously. Even when ELO rates England 7), for instance, a lot higher than I think makes sense, I know there are results to back up that ranking. The ranking is not the product of some bizzare glitch in ELO's formula.

So to get back to Algeria, a side that I rate above Honduras and Costa Rica but frankly behind everyone else at the World Cup (even if not that far behind Australia, South Korea or Iran), I decided to give their results a closer look. Which ranking is closer to telling us the truth about Algeria's results? Algeria may or may not have talent that is better than its past results, but in terms of its results alone, how would I rate them?

Lets start with the raw numbers and stats: in 2013, Algeria played 12 games, all against CAF teams, and won 6, drew 3 and lost 3. Al the matches were competitive games except 3, an away draw against South Africa (0:0), a home win against Burkina Faso (2:0) and a home draw against Guinea (2:1). When it comes to inter-confederation friendlies (as opposed to those involving teams from different confederations), however, I take the attitude that when we have competitive matches to look at, why pay attention to friendlies? In other words, I apply something like a "best evidence rule" and unless we don't have a good sample of competitive games, the friendlies don't matter to me. So what was Algeria's record in competitive games in 2013? 9 games, 5 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses. The losses were to Tunisia and Togo in the ANC and to Burkina Faso away in WcQ. The wins were against Benin twice (both times 3:1), Rwanda (1:0), and more interestingly Mali and Burkina Faso at home.

The year before that, in 2012, Algeria only played 8 matches: 6 wins, 0 draws, 2 losses. Of these matches, 2 were in friendlies, but one of them against a team outside of CAF, namely Bosnia! The friendly win against Niger isn't going to tell me anything, but I am going to notice the friendly against Bosnia. Bosnia were full squad; I checked their lineup. Algeria lost the game 1:0 at home. Not a promising sign for Algeria in my opinion, although I noticed the goal was scored deep in injury time (90+4). The loss to Bosnia aside, Algeria's other loss was to Mali in Mali (2:1). Their wins were against the likes of Libya, Gambia, and Rwanda.

I quickly went over their results in 2011 and after the World Cup in 2010. It seems after World cup 2010, Algeria really started doing poorly. Their results didnt look impressive. But I will keep the focus mainly on the 2012-2013 results.

The results tell me Algeria aren't rubbish and they can compete. But these results look less persuasive than results by Ghana, Nigeria, Ivory Coast. Perhaps even Cameroon. Compared to Asian teams, I would still rate them as I have. Algeria would rank lower in my book, but not by much. They could get a result against any of the Asian teams in the World Cup, although Japan would probably have a better than 50% chance of beating them. For the rest, it would be something like 35-45-20. Picking a match between any of the Asian teams other than Japan against Algeria to end in a draw would not be a bad bet.

14. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    O
    Sorry if it takes that much text to explain why your team is brilliant and apparrently a dark horse for the title even, it is probably a load of horse shit. No need to emphasize I did not reach the end of your post... :);)

15. DzFooty

DzFooty Member

Feb 22, 2014

1. I never said my team was a dark-horse. If you read my comment you would have seen that I only claimed that we aren't push-overs. I never even said we would win a game.

2. If you're not going to read why do you feel so compelled to comment? This isn't even a thread for your team. You end up looking like the foolish party.

3. A rudimentary look at your comment history shows that you spend a painful amount of time trying to justify the talent's of Holland's team. Ohh the irony.

Miggy repped this.
  16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Algeria beat Slovenia (whom they lost to in 2010) 2:0 today. So either they are a better team or Slovenia is weaker.

South Korea easily beat Greece 0:2, while Russia beat Armenia. May not be as weak a group.

17. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #42 MrOranjeBal, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    1. You said if any other non-powerhouse team had 'your' collection of players, they would be considered a dark horse. Or siomething like that. Ergo, Algeria should be considered a dark horse in your opinion.
    2. You are right. I was reading this thread and got stuck in your lengthy post. Should've ignored it.
    3. That must have been a really really rudimentary look, bordering on non-existent.

18. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    not as easy as it seems...
    it was a friendly game in algeria between an algerian team that will play a world cup and a slovenian team who is out...not the same conditions, not the same motivation, not the same dynamics.

this group is difficult to judge...belgium has a top 10 team right now but it's their first international competition in 12 years and we expect them too much!
    russia is in and out all the time....when was the last time they reached a second round of a world cup?
    algeria 4 years ago, ended with one point in a group with slovenia and usa, seriously...but they are better now.
    south korea? mmm kind of team we tend to underestimate eventhough they went through their round in 2010 and 2002.

i think belgium and south korea might lead this group...but i'm really not convinced by my words...i think in this group both of the 4 teams have reasons to be optimist.

jerrito and GoYoungrokba repped this.
  19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    BTW Nabil Bentaleb debuted for Algeria.

So basically if you look at Algeria's potential starting XI its not looking bad:

----------------------Mbohli-----------------------
    -------Bougherra--------------Medjani----------
    Mandi-----------------------------------Ghoulam
    ------------------------------------------------------
    -----------Bentaleb-----------Brahimi-----------
    Feghouli-----------Taider--------------Soudani
    -----------------Slimani---------------------------

Not a bad line-up if you ask me.

p.s. The squad I mentioned has just 3 players born in Algeria!!!

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In another thread, I am doing an analysis of how the 4 AFC teams compare to UEFA teams. Below are S.Korea's overall results against UEFA teams since 1999, with the World Cup and Confederation Cup in bold.

S.Korea's overall record against UEFA is 18W-14D-18L (which is decent but actually not as good as Japan's or Iran's record), although because of Wc2002, in this period S.Korea have an excellent record against such teams in the World Cup itself (clearly better than Iran and better than even Japan in the World Cup itself).

1. Greece v Korea Republic 0-2 W Friendly International 05 Mar 2014
    2. Russia v Korea Republic 2-1 L Friendly International 19 Nov 2013
    3. Korea Republic v Croatia 1-2 L Friendly International 10 Sep 2013
    4. Spain v Korea Republic 4-1 L Friendly International 30 May 2012
    5. Korea Republic v Poland 2-2 D Friendly International 07 Oct 2011
    6. Korea Republic v Serbia 2-1 L Friendly International 03 Jun 2011
    7. Turkey v Korea Republic 0-0 D Friendly International 09 Feb 2011
    8. Korea Republic v Greece 2-0 W FIFA World Cup 12 Jun 2010
    9. Spain v Korea Republic 1-0 L Friendly International 03 Jun 2010
    10. Belarus v Korea Republic 1-0 L Friendly International 30 May 2010
    11. Latvia v Korea Republic 0-1 W Friendly International 22 Jan 2010
    12. Finland v Korea Republic 0-2 W Friendly International 18 Jan 2010
    13. Korea Republic v Serbia 0-1 L Friendly International 8 Nov 2009
    14. Denmark v Korea Republic 0-0 D Friendly International 14 Nov 2009
    15. Korea Republic v Netherlands 0-2 L Friendly International 02 Jun 2007
    16. Greece v Korea Republic 0-1 W Friendly International 16 Feb 2007
    17. Switzerland v Korea Republic 2-0 L FIFA World Cup 23 Jun 2006
    18. France v Korea Republic 1-1 D FIFA World Cup 18 Jun 2006
    19. Norway v Korea Republic 0-0 D Friendly International 01 Jun 2006
    20. Korea Republic v Bosnia-Herzegovina 2-0 W Friendly International 26 May 2006
    21. Korea Republic v Croatia 2-0 W Friendly International 29 Jan 2006
    22. Finland v Korea Republic 0-1 W Friendly International 25 Jan 2006
    23. Greece v Korea Republic 1-1 D Friendly International 21 Jan 2006
    24. Korea Republic v Serbia and Montenegro 2-0 W Friendly International 16 Nov 2005
    25. Korea Republic v Sweden 2-2 D Friendly International 12 Nov 2005
    26. Sweden v Korea Republic 1-1 D Friendly International 22 Jan 2005
    27. Korea Republic v Germany 3-1 W Friendly International 19 Dec 2004
    28. Korea Republic v Turkey 2-1 W Friendly International 05 Jun 2004
    29. Korea Republic v Turkey 0-1 L Friendly International 02 Jun 2004
    30. Korea Republic v Bulgaria 0-1 L Friendly International 18 Nov 2003
    31. Korea Republic v Germany 0-1 L FIFA World Cup 25 Jun 2002
    32. Korea Republic v Spain 0-0 D (5-3 pen) FIFA World Cup 22 Jun 2002
    33. Korea Republic v Italy 2-1 W FIFA World Cup 18 Jun 2002
    34. Korea Republic v Portugal 1-0 W FIFA World Cup 14 Jun 2002
    35. Korea Republic v Poland 2-0 W FIFA World Cup 04 Jun 2002
    36. Korea Republic v France 2-3 L Friendly International
    37. Korea Republic v England 1-1 D Friendly International
    38. Korea Republic v Scotland 4-1 W Friendly International
    39. Turkey v Korea 0-0 D Friendly International
    40. Finland v Korea Republic 0-2 W Friendly International
    41. Korea Republic v Croatia 1-1 D Friendly International
    42. Korea Republic v Croatia 2-0 W Friendly International
    43. Czech Republic v Korea Republic 5-0 L Friendly International
    44. Korea Republic v France 0-5 L Friendly International
    45. Denmark v Korea Republic 2-0 L Friendly International
    46. Korea Republic v Norway 2-3 L Friendly International
    47. Korea Republic v FYR Macedonia 2-1 W Friendly International
    48. Korea Republic v Yugoslavia 0-0 D Friendly International
    49. Korea Republic v Croatia 1-1 D Friendly International
    50. Korea Republic v Belgium 1-2 L Friendly International

GoYoungrokba repped this.
  21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Much spare time this Monitor has... The force is great with this one.

TigersOfAsia repped this.
  22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    :D
    I do have quite a bit of spare time these days. I actually have put together the matches for Japan as well which, along with the matches for Iran, is altogether 130 matches involving these 3 AFC against UEFA teams since 1999. I will forgoe, however, posting Japan's results because I have put them in a table and it will involve more than copy and pasting to post those results. Anyway, the overall picture that emerges for me is very consistent. In fact, the only part of the picture that doesn't almost perfectly fit is S.Korea's results against UEFA teams in Wc2002.

23. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Forgetting our wins against the Swiss as well as making a mistake on that Serbia game but it's all good. You already admitted your mistakes on another thread.

24. nyer

nyer New Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just out of curiosity, what do people think the starting 11 will be for Russia and South Korea? I look up lineups and have trouble deducing if it's experimental or not. I have a pretty good idea who the key players are for the two countries but not so much starting 11 wise. Would really like to know.

25. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wow very impressive though you omitted several matches which I did not even bother to remember.
    Our 0-4 embarrassment at hands of the Croatians on February 2013 and 2-1 win over Switzerland on November come to my mind.

Iranian Monitor repped this.