Group G is for Grudgematches

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by fingersave, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would say that the US has displaced Mexico as the top team in CONCACAF, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that you are the lone dominant force. Fail to take Mexico seriously and they will burn you.

jerrito repped this.
  2. Eser

Eser Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    mexico is still the biggest threat

jerrito and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  3. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently they are the biggest threat to miss the world cup.

4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I'm pretty sure that if you switch the teams around in the draw, Mexico still makes the KOs while the usmnt does not. Portugal would have gotten revenge and Iran would have recreated 1998. Enough to keep usmnt out of the KOs. Meanwhile, Mexico has proven it can take Italy and teams like Ghana. Blaming failure on group draw is whiny and poor form.
    It is too close to tell who is best in CONCACAF. This goes for all 4 C'CAF teams in the WC.
    o_O Mexico qualified despite of the usmnt. The us took 4 points from Mexico, did you even watch the Hex?

5. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Mexico qualified because hungry US substitutes were still giving 110% in a meaningless game against Panama, not because of anything Mexico itself did on the field. Hell, Mexico LOST its final game against Costa Rica, and couldn't score in 180 minutes against the US....

Shen-O and fingersave repped this.
  6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Mexico itself earned the necessary points to qualify on the field. That's why they qualified. Do you think they forfeited every game? usmnt was a thorn in its side during the Hex, they were a detriment to qualification which Mexico overcame. Please watch football before commenting on it.

jerrito repped this.
  7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wouldn't go that far. As good as Honduras and Costa Rica are, the US and Mexico are a very large step ahead. Hon. and C.Rica are part of a second tier group that also includes Panama, El Salvador and possibly Jamaica (but not as of late). That list also used to include Trinidad and Tobago, but they've seriosuly fallen from grace.

8. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey mods, can we clean up the Mexico stuff from the thread?

They are not in this group.

9. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What's the proem with that the USA were in their hex and that us what they are talking about maybe if you read the thread you would know

10. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico fans troll US conversations looking for arguments.

Mexico is in a different group in this world cup. Let them tell their own group about their grudge against the US. I'm sure they'll all find the relevancy.

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The first mention of Mexico on this thread came from you, in your original post.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  12. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it did.

It was mentioned very briefly as background information to provide US perspective on a grudge match and meant to be informational for fans who have rooting interest in Group G.

The context for that quote is quite different from the nature of trolling that followed. It certainly wasn't quoted in any of the trolling. If you want to open the door for Mexico fans to troll this group, then I suppose it's your prerogative as to handling the mess that follows.

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't blame them when Jack Warner stole millions from them in 2006. Their star players pretty much threw in the towel.

Back on point, with as great as today has been I can't freaking wait until our group starts.

14. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Força Portugal

15. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Actually, the US have won the World Cup, more than once, if memory serves. The US ladies, that is.
    Other than that, anything other than Germany and Portugal advancing would be a massive upset.

jerrito repped this.
  16. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    You posted false info that needed to be corrected. Post accurate info, then you'd get no opposing response.

17. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you wouldn't be so defensive if there wasn't truth in what I said, which there is and we both know it.

18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    #43 It's called FOOTBALL, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    I wasn't defensive. I calmly addressed the error in your post. If it was true, I wouldn't have said a thing.

19. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    The funny thing about that WC is that it had one of the worst Germany sides ever. Actually reaching the final was a miracle in itself (a miracle called Kahn really, it is no wonder he is the one and only goalkeeper who won best player of the tournament ever for his 2002 performance). That missed handball call is just an other piece of miracle that made that possible. ;)

As for the German-American players and Klinsmann, we actually like that. Makes us feel like we are bringing the light to our less gifted cousins. :D

If Germany turns up for that tournament like we use to it will be very hard for the US to get their revenge. We didn't look to good in the games right before the tournament though, but then again, that is traditional for a Germany team as well. We will see how it goes against Portugal.

El Naranja repped this.
  20. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at this point it looks like Germany may be resting their players in that game. Maybe we do get a modicum of satisfaction.

21. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    WTF? Didn't know we had a grudge match against Mexico in this group. Seems like we play them every third week, so perhaps they are confused? Even at the World Cup they can't help but discuss the USMNT at length. Shouldn't come as a surprise since that's their favorite topic aside from speculating about whether someone is from El Salvador or not. And they still won't even thank us for being here (ehem, not in this group) ungrateful as they are.

But on topic, I guess that was a grudge match. I mean it's good to beat Ghana, even if we looked mediocre doing it. To me, though, it's the next points against Portugal that really matter now. Draw and we are nearly through as most scenarios would favor us regardless of our last game. I guess that's a "grudge match" given we played them once at a World Cup way back when.

22. Eser

Eser Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You give too much importance to qualifying matches

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  23. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Even if Löw decides to go with a full bench swapout (which I doubt) that still translates to a very good team, with a lot of players trying to prove that they should actually be first choice, on the field. Either way, I don't see the US win this. Not if they play like they did against Ghana, they seriously have to step up their game.

24. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    First the US have Portugal to deal with, and although the US performance against Ghana was not top notch I still see them as having the edge in this one. Portugal, other than Ronaldo, looks very uninspired and not having Pepe for this match only makes it tougher for them. Which is too bad, because coming into the tournament Portugal was looking quite promising.

25. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico were out of the world cup. OUT. That is...until the United States pushed them in during the last 10 minutes of the final minutes of the final qualifying match.

Mexico fans, announcers, everyone had resigned themselves to the fact that not only did they suffer the humiliation of non-qualification, but that they had the opportunity in their own hand but they couldn't get the job done. The last 15-20 minutes of that final Mexico game featured announcers who basically called them horrible bums, an embarrassment to their people.

Then the US scored in their game to eliminate Panama, who was going to finish ahead of Mexico and qualify, and to give Mexico a miracle passage. Graham Zusi, the guy who scored the goal to put Mexico in, has been venerated by many Mexican press and fans.

San Zusi: http://www.mlssoccer.com/sideline/n...ts-fans-radio-station-sending-mexico-world-cu

390329257919913984 is not a valid tweet id

We American like to qualify ...Mexicans not so much. :D