Group Finish Predictions

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but I think you understated it. They were horrible. IMO, Mexico gifted them with the 1-0 score line. And, yes, Chile were missing most of their starters. But any team that wants to advance in the WC needs to have 15 or 16 solid players, and based on the display last week, Chile do not have those additional players.

That said, I do see them advancing behind Spain.

2. magalhaes1976

magalhaes1976 New Member

May 16, 2006
    Lisboa
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Spain & Switzerland in this order.

3. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    The Swiss have their golden generation but the same could be said for Chile. I watched several of these players at the U20 World Cup in 2007 and Chile were a great side. I could also see the experienced Swiss team frustrating the Chileans also this gorup of Swiss players have been to at least 2 major tournaments together 3 for several players. Very interesting group with contrasting styles.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Spain 7 (Wins over Hdas, Swtz, draw vs Chle)
    Chile 5 (Win over Hdas, draw to Swtz and Spn)
    Switzerland 2 (Draws to Hdas and Chle, loss to Spn)
    Honduras 1 (Draw to Swtz, losses to Chle and Spn)

Many of these results could be different, but it's just my hunch at the moment. I can see Switzerland moving on, as well. Anything can happen in the World Cup.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Your ignorance is truly startling. I get it - you are a Chile cheerleader.

Now take a moment and look at the forwards on our team. We've played poorly in recent friendlies but that doesn't mean we don't have players who can put away the ball when it matters:

Alexander Frei (Starting)
    - 40 goals in 72 matches for the Swiss National Team (all-time record)
    - 47 goals in 100 matches for Stade Rennes in Ligue 1 (Golden Boot & Silver Boot in L1)
    - 34 goals in 74 matches for Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga

Blaise Nkufo (Starting)
    - 114 goals in 223 matches for Twente Enschede in the Eredivisie (all-time club record!)
    - The Twente fans will build a statue for him outside the Grolsch-Veste stadium.

Eren Derdiyok (Forward #3)
    - 12 goals in the Bundesliga last season with Bayer Leverkusen.

Albert Bunjaku (Forward #4)
    - 13 goals in the Bundesliga last season with Nürnberg.

These are proven goal scores (and even record holders.)

6. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1. Spain
    2. Chile.:D

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Just a few points to consider when analyzing Chile's chances:

Cons
    -general youth of the squad;
    -gung-ho approach of play generally does not lend itself to winning WCs (or even going "deep" in one);
    -lack of int. experience;
    -lack of ht./aerial prowess (specially in defense);
    -depth problem: past the starting 11, there are few guys who can fill in approximately as well as the first choice XI;
    -Chile has lost to all 3 teams in the group since Bielsa took over as coach;
    -possible lack of prep. (3 friendlies cancelled since late last year).

Pros
    -attack-minded style of play;
    -Bielsa's learning from his own past WC exp. (hopefully);
    -not an impossible group but certainly accesible;
    -youthful, energetic group of guys
    -play the same away against any teams;
    -finished 2nd in possibly the most competitive WCQ zone;
    -led said WCQ zone in goals scored;

8. grapey

grapey New Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    'Something' will need to happen for the Swiss to move on thats for sure

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Switzerland has a good record against open attacking teams in the last few tournaments. They lost very narrowly to Turkey in '08 after beating them in the world cup playoff 2 years earlier. They beat Portugal in '08. They drew France in WC '06 and drew them another 2 times to qualify for that tournament. They beat South Korea in '06.

In fact the last time they were beaten convincingly by anyone on a big stage it was probably England in '04, precisely the kind of team that was not known for open attacking football.

Just saying there's no need for Switzerland to feel intimidated by Chile.

10. BGADK

BGADK Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Not really, but I have seen matches with both teams in the last few years, and the difference is staggering. Of course nothing is mathematically assured before the games, but this group seems really easy to predict. As for goal scorers, you have demonstrated that the Swiss "stars" all play for relatively minor teams, in medium leagues. No england, spain nor italian leagues here. The Swiss have a solid team, or they wouldn't have qualified. But exiteing? Comparable in quality to Chile? No way! Chile has real chance of surprising everyone with reaching the semifinals.

11. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Agreed.

As much as I'd like to believe that (wishful thinking and as awesome as it would be), that's a bit much.

12. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Can never know, for me Chile will be the nr1 surprise in this WC. But that can be bad for Portugal though...

13. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i wouldnt go that far. i mean, what takes teams far in general is a rock-solid defense. chile don't quite have that. they have the offense obviously, and i think they're more than good enough to reach the next round. but i don't think much further than that.

14. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    considering they'll be facing Brazil, Portugal, or Côte d'Ivoire, I think that is a safe bet. Still, I like the people of Chile, and hopefully they can make it far, or at least out of the group stages.

15. Enoksen

Enoksen New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Norway
    Bundesliga and Ligue 1 medium [sic] leagues?
    It's already been said 7 times in this thread, but I'll repeat it. Switzerland's style of play works very well against teams who play like Chile.

They get into more trouble when they play sides who use a similar style. Like when they met Norway at home last November and lost.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You want Serie A and Premiership? Perhaps you should have an actual look at our starting eleven:

GK: Diego Benaglio (Wolfsburg; German Bundesliga)
    LD: Reto Ziegler (Sampdoria; Italian Serie A)
    CD: Stéphane Grichting (Auxerre: French Ligue 1)
    CD: Philippe Senderos (Everton; English Premier League)
    RD: Stephan Lichtsteiner (Lazio; Italian Serie A)
    LM: Tranquillo Barnetta (Leverkusen; German Bundesliga)
    CM: Gökhan Inler (Udinese; Italian Serie A)
    CM: Benjamin Huggel (Basel; Swiss Super League)
    RM: Valon Behrami (West Ham; English Premier League)
    FW: Alexander Frei (Basel; Swiss Super League)
    FW: Blaise Nkufo (Twente: Dutch Eredivisie)

Eight of our starters currently play in one of the big five leagues in Europe. The other three have played there previously in their career.
    That's all I really wanted to hear from you. I don't mind if you favor Chile - it's a perfectly reasonable opinion to have - it's terms like "roadkill" that make you look daft.

17. BamBamZam1+8

BamBamZam1+8 Member

Jul 28, 2003
    It's so annoying that Chile has to potentially and likely face Brazil AGAIN if they make it out of the group stage. 98 was bad enough. :mad:I like Chile's chances against anyone, except Brazil.

18. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, one game at a time... I wanna see if we can beat Honduras first and then worry about our chances in a potential qualification to the round of 16.

19. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what out for Honduras. They are not very good tactically, but they are "very physical." can't tell you more than that, because I don't wanna start a fight with the Hondurenos and get banned again like it happened back in December.

All I can say is, they will be "overly physical" in the first half until they drive your players mad and injure them or respond in the same way, but by that time the ref would be tired of warnings and give you the yellows.

20. sickboycool

sickboycool Member

May 13, 2002
    Woodland, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain v Switzerland 3-0
    Honduras v Chile 2-1
    Spain v Honduras 4-2
    Switzerland v Chile 2-0
    Spain v Chile 2-0
    Honduras v Switzerland 1-1

Spain 9 +7 gd
    Honduras 4 -1 gd 5 goals
    Switzerland 4 -1 gd 3 goals
    Chile 0 -5gd

21. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I'd also say that the Honduras offensive players are also very technical. It's a complicated combo for any defense, even more so for a defense as fickle as ours. They got 3 players in England and three in Italy... I'd say that's more than impressive.

22. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Our biggest Strength is our depth in the Midfield. Our biggest doubts are the Forwards right now. We have David Suazo, who in his time was great, but after all the injuries he has not been the same. Then we have Pavon who is so old, he is great against Concacaf teams because he is technically superior to most players there. Then we have Georgie Welcome, who is 25, that looks so clunky and almost mentally slow, but he has been the best in the friendlies we have had, and he will bend his body to make contact with a ball just to put it in, but that is in the Honduran league, what about against some World Class defenses?

I think we can beat Chile if we use our pace and can finish the chances we do have because Chile will have most of the possession. I think if we beat Chile, we will go through to next round. A draw for us is great. but then we would have to beat a team like Switzerland that has so much discipline, I can see us drawing with them but have a hard time seeing us winning against them.

I really do hate to have drawn Chile, it was one of the teams I was going to have liking to, now I have to hate on you guys. :p

23. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Drugs don't work...:p

24. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they work just fine to me... ;)

25. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain