Group F discussion (CHN, BRA, ZAM, NED)

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by lil_one, Jul 19, 2021.

1. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I'm not sure the Dutch even had a shot on goal in their last friendly against the United States, which wasn't that long ago, a 2-0 defeat. The U.S. defense is rather better than Zambia's and China's! The Dutch midfield will have to play well, needless to say, but they don't match up particularly well with the beefy Ertz, Mewis and Horan (and Lavelle). I thought Wiegman would rest her key players today; instead, she played most of them--some for 90'--in a 8-2 walloping of a hapless China squad. She seemed to be more interested in sharpening performance as opposed to rest, and we'll see how that works out.

West Ender repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And Brazil-Zambia decided to play the party pooper! :devilish:

The other matches in this group had, respectively, 5, 13 :eek:, 6, 8 and 10 :eek: goals, with an average (!) of 8,4 goals per game :eek::eek::eek:... then you have just 1 goal in Brazil-Zambia :unsure:, and the average drops (!) to "just" 7,1666... (well, not bad anyway! :thumbsup::giggle:).

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The early red card changed everything...

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Cannot see anyone catching Miedema. 8 goals is the most scored by one player in any Women’s Olympic Games.

West Ender, lil_one and blissett repped this.
  5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well it will be hard but so far Blackstenius have 3 goals in 95 minutes played, so if she keeps that up and Sweden reaches SF she should be able to score 8 or 9 more.
    But it is unlikely that she is given 90 minutes playing time in every match remaining.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I am assuming these games are going to get much tighter now it is knockout football (I could be wrong in this weird COVID era).

Scoring 5 goals in the knockout stages would be some achievement.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the way the US is playing. If the US played Zambia, I would not have been surprised to see the US lose.