Group F discussion (CHN, BRA, ZAM, NED)

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by lil_one, Jul 19, 2021.

1. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    And more to come as the Dutch and Brazil play China and Zambia, respectively.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  2. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    NED vs BRA very entertaining game. It could have gone either way.

Brazil still have to improve a lot but is better than people thing. IMHO Brazil is better without Marta and Formiga.

Week referee.

About the GD in this group. Brazil could control its GD. I think in form US is a bad match for us.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Barbra Banda doesn't agree with this statement. :sneaky:

kolabear, toad455, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.
  4. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    LOL, true.

5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Both Wiegman and Sundhage have to decide who to rest next game---very important with the tight schedule and the humidity. If I'm Wiegman, I'm giving Groenen and Van der Graght at least a half off against China, if not more, and maybe the same for Van de Donk. Play Kaagman and Pelova. I'd try to rest Martens the entire game--play R. Jansen in her spot. You might come second in the group on goal difference if Brazil racks up a bunch against Zambia--but then Brazil would play the U.S. in the quarters and The Netherlands would play either Canada or Japan. If I'm Wiegman, I'd be happy with that.

kolabear and Orange14 repped this.
  6. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    GD is very much on Brazil coaching staff mind. We won't go for broke and try to score as much as we can. Marta, Formiga and Debinha will need to rest too. CHI - ZAM tie works in our favor. Just a tie or even a small loss places Brazil to face CAN or JAP.

US - NED would be a great game. You should go for it :p

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Look at this for a scenario.

Australia play USA in the early kick off. If Australia win Brazil or Netherlands could deliberately lose to knock the USA out (Japan would also have to beat Chile).

I thought all the games would be played at the same time for fairness but Brazil and Netherlands play two hours later than the USA.

It has the potential for complete chaos.

kolabear, Romario'sgurl and blissett repped this.
  8. How is it possible Brasil is given a penalty against the Orange lionesses, while both players were outside the box And the foul was committed outside the box?

9. I don't think Brasil will survive the ko round.
    Against the Orange lionesses in the first 35 minutes they had 65% possesion, but the number of chances in the boxes were 8 out of 10 with the Orange lionesses.
    The goals they scored were a lucky bounce, a penalty gift and an Orange defenders give away.

10. Sarina Wiegmans should stop starting vd Sande. Again she did almost nothing right in the hour she was on the pitch, she actually killed several good attacking opportunities. Beerenstein atm is clearly the better player.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I don't have any sympathy for the Chinese team. Specifically the players that elected not to go to the tourny, but it seems like there wasn't a lot dissent against them leaving.

Also looking forward to the Banda highlights...I mean the China v. Zambia highlights.

I've been wondering that for a year or two about vdS. She has moments, but looks past her prime and have been wondering why she was still starting as she looked like that player who was once really good but is now causing problems/lacking fluidity on the attack.

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Me too. Please, everyone, post highlights of the games here as soon as you find it (not as easy as it could seem!). :)

kolabear, soccernutter and JanBalk repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Netherland v. Brasil highlights

kolabear, Lohmann, JanBalk and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    They allow crowds in?

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crowd noise is being piped in. But the people in the stands I think are staff.

16. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005

Or other athletes. The US swim team attended one of the basketball games today.

West Ender and JanBalk repped this.
  17. It was off side before that.

18. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Crowd is allowed there yes, 10.000 max ...

Just sign up to Eurosport Player :whistling: (or Discovery+)

West Ender repped this.
  19. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    The Brazilian player and the foul was committed inside the box. The NED player was outside the box but she committed the foul with her right arm inside the box. VAR looked at it and clear the penalty. It was a foul inside the box thus a penalty.

Romario'sgurl and blissett repped this.
  20. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    I guess you are as biased as me. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"Against the Orange lionesses in the first 35 minutes they had 65% possession, but the number of chances in the boxes were 8 out of 10 with the Orange lionesses." Nederland are supposed to have one of the most attacking talent right now. So nothing strange on them creating a lot of chances. Brazil was never and will never be a defense minded team. It is simply not how we play the game. But the game was very open IMHO and could have got either way.

"The goals they scored were a lucky bounce, a penalty gift and an Orange defenders give away". I could say pretty much the same. Defense mistake, lucky cross and a free kick gift (I didn't even see a foul on Ludmila's challenge - 50/50 ball that the ref saw a foul and a yellow!!! :cool:). The free kick was a piece or art I must admit. Not sure why teams stopped using a player to cover the top corner in free kicks like that one.

"Brasil will survive the ko round." Depends on whom we play against (same with NED). But I liked the team composure after getting behind twice, but we need more balance.

21. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    The offside player wasn't part of the action. So it should have counted as offside. But the whole hand ball in that situation was a bad-call for me. NED player arms was in a natural position on that play. You can detach you arms to play the game.

22. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    You can't detach you arms to play the game.*

23. Yeah, not denying I've a set of Orange glasses:)
    But you're right about the Brasil tenacity to keep on fighting back.
    I'm worried about the Orange Lionesses sloppy ways biting in the ko round.
    Anyway it was a typical Brasil/Orange match. For any neutral a lot of fun to watch every time the orange and yellow meet on the pitch.

Hexa repped this.
  24. glipsnort

glipsnort New Member

Arsenal Women
    United States
    Feb 21, 2021
    Well, you can -- but it's not a good idea.

Hexa and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  25. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Ha! Coming into this tournament I certainly would have rated China higher than Zambia, but apparently not. How the Dutch and Brazil lineups and substitutions play out, I don't know--but I would hope and expect both teams to play as well as they can. I can't imagine the Dutch not trying to score. To malinger would be unsporting and unethical, really. Miedema apparently suffered some sort of knock (groin) in the last match, so I can for sure see her sitting in this match. That's 3 lost Dutch goals right there! If Debinha doesn't play, that's, what, at least 2 lost goals for Brazil!

I'd be happy, actually, see the Dutch play the U.S. in the QF as opposed to semifinal or final. The Netherlands don't match up with the U.S. particularly well, and having two young, inexperienced players in the back four definitely doesn't help. But challenges are always to be faced squarely, eh.

Sundhage certainly has improved Brazil, who were a bit of a mess in the couple of years leading up to the last WC. Sweden certainly looks the best of the challengers at this point. Great Britain could be a threat--but they need Kirby back in the lineup.

Hexa and kolabear repped this.