Group F - Champions League Fixtures

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by Sporting#1, Aug 30, 2007.

1. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Quite frankly I don't think any team would "Spank" Sporting. Too much talent on the team for that to happen. I don't expect them to advance too far if they manage to get into the knockout rounds but anything can happen.

Let's take one step at a time...they need to advance out of the group stages in order to be taken seriously in Europe. Anything less would be a disaster.

2. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    It's amazing to see so many fans of Sporting be so negative about the chances of making it out of the first round. I don't think it is that unlikely. Somebody out there explain to me why you feel like Sporting won't make it past the first round. Are we that high on Roma because I'm not. It's one thing to respect your opponent but do you truly believe in your heart that Dynamo Kiev has a shot at J. Alvalade? They will be out classed in my mind. The more I see Roma and Man Utd play the more I feel like we can be competitive with both teams. Nobody seems to agree with me so I ask you why not? Why is third place the "realistic" finish to our European campaign? By the way can anyone give me the update on Derlei's injury? Thanks. Forca Sporting!

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    My response is that after last season's great opening victory vs Inter ( Caneira's goal of the year :) ), it raised my expectations only to see them coming crushing down in the last game vs Spartak. That being said, I'm taking a more conservative cautious approach to this year's campaign.
    Who knows ? Maybe lady luck will smile upon our team this time around.

4. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Last year we lacked any sort of goal scoring power and with the 2nd highest posession rate of all the teams in the gorup stage we still came away with nothing. I'm confident with our ability to compete but we need to excel (read score goals) if we want to advance.

5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I think Sporting could be the surprise team in the CL this year.

6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Was Spartak also outclassed last year? I think that forgetting Spartak loss may really hurt Sporting. I actually supported Sporting that day last year as I hate Spartak (as every self-respecting Dynamo Kyiv does).

7. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    The Sporting of last year is not the Sporting of this year. Believe me Sporting will use lessons learned to improve on what they did in the Champions League last year (pretty much nothing). What I am merely saying is that barring a major let down (which is what that Spartak game was last year) they should beat any team from the Ukrainian league with relative ease. In my mind the Portuguese league is superior to the Ukranian league and Sporting is a better team than Dynamo Kiev. As a matter of fact ask UEFA what league is superior so that I am not accused of being biased. Only time will tell who's right here. Sporting will not go out quietly this year and I like the idea that in the Roma boards they don't even consider us a threat. Man Utd threads are talking about Roma. Nobody is taking us seriously and on the 19th I think we will open some eyes. I can tell you that Nani and C. Ronaldo know what's in front of them. They're not looking past us. Alvalade will be rocking because it's our time to make a statement. We're fielding a team that is about as solid as any Sporting team that I can remember in recent years and we will make a statement.

8. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    What we lacked last year was expierence, which we obviously got. The lacking "goal scoring power" was a probelm ever since we ended the summer transfer period with Bueno and Alecsandro. Any team that we could of got and/or did get realized this and marked Liedson of the games. A young Djalo wouldn't have solved the "scoring" probelm and teams didn't give two shits if Bueno/Alecsandro got open.

This year, it should be a different story but I'm not going to put expectations on Sporting to beat Manchester United/Roma 4-3 or Dinamo 3-0. Only thing I expect is improvement in Europe, something every Sportinguista should hope for.

9. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I do not see there is all that much of a difference between Portuguese and Ukrainian leagues. One is 8th in UEFA table and the other is 10th.

The reason Roma do not consider you a threat is because Italian league is actually much-much better than both the Portuguese and a Ukrainian league.

3 years ago Dynamo beat Roma in both matches (3-0, 2-0) exactly because they thought they were so much better.

10. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    LOOOOOOOLLL, god someone save this for later. :D

Sure...and romanian league is better than Bundesliga. lol

We're in 6th, this season's coefficients are non-relevant until next summer when all european competitions are over...how i hate to explain this endless times.

11. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Face it last year we had bad luck, balls htting the post, out playing Bayern in their park etc..

This year is a whole different season, new players, old younger players with more experience. Honestly I expect Sporting to win the group. The only players that scare me are Scholes and Giggs. These guys on any given night can make a team look stupid. The only problem is their age, they can't turn it on every night. Let's hope it's not on sept 19th or nov 27th.

12. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seems like someone else is using your family braincell:rolleyes:!

Have you never heard of Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Ronaldo, Nani, Louis Saha not to mention Anderson??

13. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    You named 5 forwards, and between all of them they have 2 goals, very impressive.

As for Rooney, he won't be a factor probably not untill the away game. Tevez we have a good answer for him Miguel Veloso. Saha is not in game shape, but very decent player for a half. CR will love to be at home, will probably be red carded for flipping someone the bird. Nani we'll have a big hangover from hanging out in the hood with his buddies. As for Anderson did he get promoted from the reserve squad yet?

14. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am not actually talking about how many goals they scored but the potential to actually score and to scare the s**t out of your defenders. I take it that you do not know that Rooney will be back for the Everton game I believe and you are rather flippant about Manchester united and the threat they pose. You would do better to take United seriously because on our day we can cause damage. Your sporting colleges should stop you from making an arse of yourself because United could potentially do to SL what we did to Roma and to think that just because for example Tevez has not scored does not mean that SL should regard him as a non-threatening attacker.

15. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    M. United does have good individualities and a powerful attack. But english teams suck when they play here and Sporting is without a doubt going to dominate the center midfield. I think alot of Sporting rivals are unaware of this. It might well be the best portuguese team in the last years to combine passes well and this year seems to be no exception.
    The english team plays wide and direct passes, that's really the worst strategy against Sporting. If you guys really want to get some hope I suggest that United plays counter-attack down both flanks as Sporting side defenders are a little vulnerable in 1 on 1. If you play open though, say goodbye to the game.

16. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Now why would you help a scum United fan by giving them our weakness.
    But actually only Ronny is weak on the 1-1.

17. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Do you read? or is just part of your ignorance to avoid comments.
    I gave you a answer for your so called best player in the world Tevez. LMFAO.

PB will take this game seriously, and so will the rest of the squad.

18. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I will not waste my finger muscles educating you in football as I am busy educating myself but I am sure that Carlos T will do that for you when he scores to ridicule your ridiculous comment and also I never called him the best player in the world but he is up there.

19. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    As far as Carlos Tevez goes. With this guy's rationale West Ham should have been world beaters last year. As far as Man Utd beating us in Alvalade 7-0 or anything along those lines that's just dumb. You speak of your new signings like you're informing us of players we don't know when meanwhile we've been watching these guys for years. Anderson didn't play all that much for FC Porto last year. Man Utd were basically buying his potential. Nani should have stayed at least one more year at Sporting. Another player Man Utd bought for potential. Cristiano Ronaldo is a world class player but I'm very certain that since he came from Sporting we may know a little about him. As far as Rooney goes (another world class player), he will still be shaking off some rust coming back from injury and all. Don't think he'll be 100% by the 19th. Man Utd is a good squad that hasn't put their best foot forward thus far in the Premiership. Would it be a shocker to see them lose here with the way things have been going for them this season? You may want to see a Sporting game before you make comments about how you will beat us at home 7-0. Doesn't make you look very informed.

20. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have never said we would win 7-0 so where did that come from?:confused: With our away form in the CL that is very unlikely and I think a draw would be quite likely. My irratation was certain fans thinking that United will get rolled over and dismissing all our player as rubbish including even Ronaldo. I just thought some fans should be a bit more realistic about the match.

21. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    Your sporting colleges should stop you from making an arse of yourself because United could potentially do to SL what we did to Roma and to think that just because for example Tevez has not scored does not mean that SL should regard him as a non-threatening attacker.[/quote]

Read above. ;)

22. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Aside from some lesser known teams SCP actually perform very well against "Top" teams at Alvalade.

Anyone remember their first CL game a draw 2-2 with Figo's Real Madrid?

Man U as every "Top" team does will come into the Alvalade with the attitude that they can just step onto the field and win the game. Inter and Bayern both thought this as well.

Sporting has quality young players. Man U thinks so much of our players that they take 1 per year.:D

Sporting have the most passionate fans in the world and they will be heard next week.

While I don't expect a win or a blow out, I do expect a good game.

Ronaldo will get cheers, but he will not perform well.

On the other hand look for Moutinho and Veloso to shine.

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Sure do. Sporting had the bird in the hand and let it get away in the 2nd half.:)