Group E discussion (JPN, CAN, GBR, CHI)

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by lil_one, Jul 19, 2021.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Except for the entertainement value! :)

toad455 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  2. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Canada vs. Great Britain

Referee
    (UKR) MONZUL Kateryna

Assistant Referee 1
    (CZE) RATAJOVA Lucie

Assistant Referee 2
    (UKR) STRILETSKA Maryna

4th Official
    (AUS) JACEWICZ Kate

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)
    (EGY) ASHOUR Mahmoud

Assistant VAR (AVAR)
    (BRA) REWAY Wagner

Chile vs. Japan

Referee
    (HON) BORJAS Melissa

Assistant Referee 1
    (HON) PERELLO Shirley

Assistant Referee 2
    (COL) BLANCO Mary

4th Official
    (NGA) MADU Ndidi

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)
    (POL) RACZKOWSKI Pawel

Assistant VAR (AVAR)
    (ISR) REINSHREIBER Roi

blissett repped this.
  3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I estimated the performance ratings including the 1st two rounds of the Olympics group stage. (Games after 1/1/2020)
    Great Britain * performance rating 1997 (published FIFA rating 1974)
    Canada 1957 (1962)
    Japan 1788 (1942)
    Chile 1692 ** (1622)

* of course I'm using England's games prior to the Olympics as a stand-in for Team Great Britain
    ** for Chile's performance rating I used provisional ratings of 1600 for Chile's opponents Cameroon and Zambia. If we use Cameroon's rating of 1455 for both Cameroon and Zambia, the performance rating is 1638

The big discrepancy between performance rating and official rating is Japan. We all know Coach Takakura went in for a youth movement beginning with the World Cup but I'm a bit concerned about when they're going to start showing the results they're looking for

Expected win projections for the final group stage matches:

Great Britain (perf rating 1997) expected win pct (.557) over Canada (1957)

Japan (1788 + 100 point homefield advantage) expected win pct (.756) over Chile (1692)

Canada can finish 1st in the group by beating Great Britain, but a tie is good enough to ensure passage to the quarterfinals. Canada can probably advance even with a loss, but it isn't guaranteed.

Japan and Chile are of course both playing to win, although there's a fair chance Japan can advance even with a draw and only 2 points, if neither Zambia or China can win their games as underdogs

I called Group E a Group of Death, or E for Endler-Times because their 'keeper Christiane Endler has the ability to ruin the Olympics for one of the other teams in the group counting on a win against Chile. Great Britain and Chile both got by, but now it's Japan's turn.

soccernutter and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Main issue for GB today is to see if Fran Kirby gets on the pitch. Really needs pitch time before the quarters. Bit of a worry that she is still not fit to start.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Genuinely don’t get Rachel Daly. Every time with England or GB I just become bemused. Offers so little in games but makes squads on her versatility.

9. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    55'
    Canada 1 - 0 Great Britain
    Leon (Canada) scores!!

63'
    Substitution for Great Britain
    OUT Ellen WHITE
    IN Rachel DALY

Anyone seeing this game? is White injured?
    Otherwise the conclusion of GB getting behind and shortly thereafter taking their only Goalscorer (in this Olympics) of the field are that they prefer to end 2nd in the Group.

10. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To prefer playing Brazil instead of Australia doesn`t make much sense for me.:unsure:

Edit: GB equalized. This answers the question.

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I’m watching. They brought White on after conceding. So that is wrong. Daly came off after starting. Not only the goals scored but she plays a key role in build up play.

Parris who tried to play her central role from the start has been pretty awful. Isn’t good with her back to goal or linking play.

GB gave a lot of effort after conceding so do want to top the group. Lucky to get the equaliser. Deflection from a shot from outside the area.

JanBalk repped this.
  12. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    No, but possibly US instead of Sweden in SF.

13. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Great Britain wins their group. Should end up playing Australia in the quarters.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

553A34A1-29BF-4622-9818-DCD64FC66F61.jpeg

SiberianThunderT and West Ender repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Am i right that VAR is anyway different from Goal Line Technology? Can VAR be properly applied to the decision about a ball passing or not the goal-line? Has Goal Line Technology been implemented for these Olympics?

Honest questions, I don't know the answers and I'd like to know.

16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #66 Lechus7, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    What Endler seem to forget is:

1. It was a very doubtful call by the ref awarding free kick that lead to the suppoused goal action in first place. Basically Borjas has punished Miura because Pardo stumbled (dive?) o_O
    https://imgur.com/a/Db4YUmY

2. Following free kick pass is to the player who is offside - the goal would've been disallowed by VAR anyway. (I think that's why the goal was disallowed cuz Borjas was seen speaking with VAR after whole situation).

https://imgur.com/a/hSGZOeq
    (click on the image) Camera cuts just after this frame - the exact moment when Araya strikes the ball isn't seen on live feed but you get the idea that Urrutia who is running upfront is even further offside.

Referee Borjas has lost her marbles in this match.
    Previously Japan committed 6 fouls on average in their two games aginst Canada and Great Britain.
    Ref Borjas was keen on call Nadeshiko on slightest touch of opponent which ended with 17 Japan fouls and two yellow cards.:confused: (Chile commited 12 fouls on average in their previous two games but Borjas judged them guilty only 6 times vs. Japan)

No moral high ground for Endler in this match really. She had good game in goal, but her teammates weren't on the level even with "friendly" ref on their side.
    Looks like she's grasping at straws for an attention. :coffee:

17. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Neither would one goal have saved them, since a tie wouldn't be enough.