Group A rosters

Discussion in 'Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon' started by Ombak, May 6, 2014.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    For those expecting a cakewalk vs Cameroon I would only make one note:
    Cameroon has the most Champions League players of all African teams and is second to Brasil in this group in this regard:

Brasil 13 players (Alves, Thiago Silva, Luis, Fernandinho, Marcelo, Hulk, Neymar, Oscar, Dante, Maxwell, Ramires, Willian, Bernard)
    Cameroon 5 players (Eto'o, Nounkeu, Song, Chedjou, Matip)
    Croatia 3 players (Modric, Srna, Eduardo)
    Mexico 3 players (Herrera, Guardado, Hernandez)

Naturally this doesn't mean anything, but it just shows that Cameroon does have pretty good players.

2. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    #27 Nicola777, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Since when Mandzukic isn't a champions league player? he is even a winner 2013 and a semi finalist in the competition.

anyway it's irrelevant by my opinion...most of players in croatian team played champions league at a point.
    there were 2 croatians in semi finals of this champions league...when there wasn't any player from cameroon or mexico at this level of competition. we can go the way we want to in this topic...
    even kovacic is the second or third youngest scorer in champions league history.
    i'd rather rely on the ones that got an european cup in their palmares and mainly champions league...

how many champions league winners in brazil, cameroon, croatia and mexico? let's have fun.

brazil is far above and croatia second.
    the 2 croatians winning their champions leagues these 2 last seasons when the only player in cameroon that won it did it for the last time in 2010.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sorry. Missed out Mandzukic. Still Cameroon has more :)

You started but hell: Within its squad Cameroon also has more Champions League wins than Croatia:
    Cameroon 3 vs Croatia 2

So: Brasil is far above, Cameroon second, Croatia third (although I didn't check Mexico, they may have 2 as well through dos Santos and Chicarito)...

Olinga is the youngest scorer in La Liga history
    And so on and so on...
    I didn't say Cameroon is better, I'm just saying that treating them like they are some sort of outlier in the group is asking for punishment.

4. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    only one player in Cameroon won the 3 champions league and did it for the last time 4 years ago...
    when there are 2 european champions in croatian squad, 1 who is european champion as we're talking now, and the other only one year ago.

chicharito never won it..;and dos santos if he did was never a starter in barcelona.

5. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Rafael Marquez x2 is the only champions league winner in our squad and only one ever if Im not mistaken.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    3 still trumps 2.
    And Chelsea made the semis with Eto'o.
    I never said you don't have higher profile players in Rakitic and Modric. Just that Cameroon are no pushovers.

7. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    2 players still trumps 1...we can see it the way we want.

Cameroon and Mexico are both threats to Croatia...and Mexico even with less champions league players might be a bigger threat to Cameroon than Croatia is...amount of players in champions league is irrelevant.

a player such as Sougou played champions league with Cluj and in ligue 1 everybody in france makes fun of him...

8. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    mocinic injured..

strinic, pranjic, mocinic, badelj, kranjcar, ilicevic...

6 players from the initial list are injured, 4 withdraw...

badelj will come back to the squad though not at 100% yet.

9. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hugo Sanchez never won it with Real?

10. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Never, closest they got in the 80s/very early 90s was semifinals.