Gripe: Saturday TV matches on at the same time

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by LordRobin, Jul 7, 2007.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else annoyed that the MLS matches on HDNet and Fox Soccer Channel seem to be on at the same time so often? I pay extra to get HDNet just so I can get the MLS matches. It ticks me off that I have to choose which match I want to watch live. Tonight they overlap by an hour, but other times it's been nearly the whole match. A DVR is a wonderful thing but I shouldn't have to use it.

(Of course, to be annoyed you have to get HDNet, which from what I hear is me and maybe 20 other people...)

------RM

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know.

Instead of making you use a DVR, they should kill attendances by having games at 3:00 in the afternoon or at 10:00 at night.

:)rolleyes:)

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. It's great. Change channels until you find the one that entertains you most or has the greatest impact on your team.

Mods, close this thread now.

4. bigbusta

bigbusta New Member

May 15, 2007
    gripe: people who whine about silly things.

5. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People won't go to a soccer match at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Saturday? Didn't think things were that bad -- or are you referring to the summer weather?

(And why the hell would the second game have to be at 3:00 or 10:00? We have this thing in the US called "time zones". The west coast is actually 3 hours earlier than the east coast! It's true! So one network could show a west game, the other an east game, both matches are in the attendance "sweet spot", and they don't overlap. Really, this isn't rocket science.)

I just think MLS is not at the point where it has enough television viewers to split them between two games. If I were in charge of FSC, I might be a little miffed at having to compete with the same league on another channel, especially now that I'm paying rights fees.

(And having a DVR means jack squat when the wife wants to watch something else. You only get two tuners.)

------RM

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest single drain on attendances the past few seasons has been the 3:30 pm Eastern ESPN2 time slot. Poor television ratings were exacerbated by terrible attendance and poor play in often brutal summer heat. Dropping that game in favor of Thursday night has been terrific.

The games will be stacked on top of one another until we have more teams in the Pacific time zone, so you get more 7:30 Pacific starts.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, this one is easy: HDNet is very predictable in when they show the scores of the other MLS games, so we always pick this one and are careful when they get close to the designated time, late in half two.