Grimsby Town v. QPR (FA Cup -- 1st Round) [R]

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Atouk, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FA Cup - 1st Round
    ------
    QPR - 3rd in Division 2, 28 points from 16 matches
    Grimsby Town - 17th in Division 2, 22 points from 17 matches
    ------
    8 November
    Blundell Park
    ------

Rangers News

Things aren't looking good for Rangers as they attempt to start a run in the FA Cup. Bircham and Barton are probably unavailable (but should be available on Tuesday against Brentford), while Gallen (likely), Padula, Edghill, and Bean (all three 50/50) are all "battling to be fit" for the match after knocks picked up against Dag & Red. Further, Nick Culkin has a virus and may not make the substitute's bench. Of course, longer-term injuries to Shittu, Furlong, and Rose make them unavailable.

The picture of health.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~448063,00.html

The Opponent

The clubs met at the same location in league action on October 4th, with Rangers coming away with all three points, 1-0, on a Sabin goal deep into second half injury time.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10373~22434,00.html

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75696

The Referee

Haven't been able to find out yet. Since it's not a League/League Cup/LDV match, the League site doesn't have it listed. I couldn't find it on the FA site.

2. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the FA Cup preview on QPR World -- Prav says that Edghill, Barton, Culkin, Bircham are definitely out. Gallen, Bean, and Padula didn't train on Thursday, but will travel with the team and are in contention.

Olly said it could be Rowlands and McLeod at fullback. Palmer could drop into a center back spot with Forbes moving to the right, I'd think. But without Bircham, it's a bit tough to take Palmer away from the midfield. We could go McLeod-Rowlands-Bean-Ainsworth, I suppose.

Olly also made it pretty plain that he's interested in the Brentford match on Tuesday and isn't too worried about a run in the FA Cup. He pretty much seemed to be indicating that while the financial implications for the club of a cup run are good, the financial implications of earning promotion are obviously much more important to this club.

3. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm up and out to Chicago tomorrow for DC's playoff match, so won't be able to listen to the commentary. So, all I can say is...

COME ON, YOU R'S!

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'll I can say about this is...

pants

And thank God I didnt go. But its not the end of the world. The injuries are worrying - and it leads to players out of position, which then leads to hoofing the ball up the pitch. Which then leads us to not utilizing the talents of our forward and ending up with ZERO good chances on goal today! Then taking us back to my original comment...

pants

We need to rebound on tuesday against Brentford. There will be players missing and others away from their natural positions - but we have to play football and pop a couple in.

I'm really glad we won that Sheffield United match, or people over here would really be fuming about the Cup situation with Olly.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only professional team that has fared worse than QPR in Cup competitions the last 3 years or so is my very own Dallas Burn.

Its all too depressing.

But I would gladly bow out now for some regular season glory in May 2004.