Greg Vanney Steps Down

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Kingston, Dec 1, 2020.

1. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think this is just the end of our golden generation so to speak so we're in for an off-season of significant changes and a new direction. I'm just not sure if this will be a total re-build back to lean years or if they will keep enough talent to achieve some results and stay mid-table while they develop some younger players.

crazypete13 repped this.
  2. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Damn, best of luck Greg.

3. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    this team has money and resources. why should they toil back down to mid table to rebuild...they can determine DP spending, player personnel, the academy does well with young talent. Personally i think Jozy is done (thank you for the great years) and we can replace that DP. Im not convinced Piatti is as good as he was billed as there were too few and far between magic between him and Pozuelo (they should have dominated)..can we move on from him? (EDIT: just googled and found out Piatti will not return as DP)
    Bradley...one more go? Delgado to me didnt bring anything this year and i think Osario was dealing with injury that limited his ability. Attack up front around Akinola and another striker to replace Altidore.

4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I agree. We replace Altidore and Piatti with two DPs (striker and attacking mid/winger/striker whatever you want to call it) and transition Bradley from a starter to a mentor/substitute for Fraser. Do a bit more replacing in D and we're good to go.

crazypete13 repped this.
  5. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Perhaps but I don't think the core around the DPs right now is as strong as we had in 2015 or 2016 where we had players emerging like Osorio, Morrow, Hagglund, Delgado, etc. When Giovinco, Altidore and Bradley came in, they were added to a roster with a good core just entering their prime. I just don't see that core being as strong right now. Osorio still has a couple of good years left but the rest of the supporting cast just isn't there where you throw in the equivalent of Giovinco and it makes them a champion. I don't think subbing out Piatti and subbing in another DP will have the same positive effect. You can rotate elite DPs all you like but if you don't have those core guys who overplay their salary level to fill the starting 11, it doesn't matter what star player you bring in.

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    You present a well reasoned case. If we look at a core starting line up using only players we currently have we're looking at something like (with the main alternatives in brackets):

Westberg : (Bono)

Laryea - Dunn - Gonzalez - Auro : (Mavinga)

Pozuelo - Osorio - Fraser - Delgado : (Bradley, DeLeon, Endoh)

Akinola : (Altidore)

I see a need for one solid defender, one DP attacking type midfielder, and a DP striker to replace Altidore so that we have a solid two punch up front. That's not a small amount of off season work, but it's reasonable. Especially if they can get Gallacher back as a defender.

My list also omits most of the young players. We have some with a lot of potential if we can get them playing time. Nelson and Priso lead this list in my mind although I confess to not knowing where Romeo is at after his loan season in Denmark. Guys like Shaffelburg and Marshall-Rutty may also surprise but certainly provide some useful bench depth.

Overall, I don't think we're looking at dropping off to a mid table team.

crazypete13 repped this.
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I am underwhelmed.

Perhaps he will work out really well. Overall he did okay (but just okay) in New York. It seems that TFC has the money and status to attract someone of higher calibre.

TOFC/ARSENAL and crazypete13 repped this.