Greg Lalas: Why MLS isn't as much of a slouch as you think it is

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Wallydrag, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I feel vindicated when sports writers sound just like me.

3. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Good article. Even better because he didn't resort to Poison or Winger references.

4. Kung Fu Hamster

Kung Fu Hamster New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Some of my highlights:

Ironically enough, we're starting to see some of this foreign investment: the Red Bull situation, Chivas USA, RSL's academy deal with Real Madrid... And note how these developments have come only after MLS settled on the current slow-and-steady business model.

5. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or it scould just be as simple as MLS players were fresher only a handful of game sinto their season and well rested from the winter break. European based players being knackered after another hard 60- odd game season for some.

But then, who would dare to suggest you were anything but always spot on?

6. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    Maybe it should, then. Audibly.

7. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yet, this said, it's interesting that neither Charlton, Celtic, WBA or any of the other touted suitors of MLS players came back with improved offers?

Just food for thought.

Let's look at this another way, FC Dallas traded Eddie Johnson for a $250k allocation. What does that tell you about his transfer value?

8. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you serious?!?

Why did UEFA teams constitute almost all of those teams in the quarterfinals in Germany (with two teams that have all their stars based in Europe - BRA & ARG - being the others)?

Why the hell were they not "knackered"?

9. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was being facetous.

And I was also talking about MLS players. I note that both Roehl and Greg Lalas forget who the major letdown on the USMNT team was, and where he was playing.

10. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA

Fair enough, it's food for thought. But there could be any number of reasons. Perhaps Charlton or WBA heard that they could get great bargains on MLS players from somebody at Fulham... and found out that MLS wasn't so willing to sell them below market-value anymore. And maybe those clubs just don't have the money to spend right now.

I think Eddie Johnson would have been ridiculously overvalued at $5 mil, and perhaps it's a hindsight move, but MLS should've sold him when they could. However, the new KC owners nixed the transfer to Real Sociedad because they want to keep their star player around to attract fans to the future stadium.

11. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah, there's a second page....and more for me to get my teeth into:

1. Tevez and Mascherano are Argies, not Brazillians.
    2. Tevez cost $20m and i doubt very much whether he cost a penny more than that when he left. Combined I'm sure it was more, but not by himself. For him to speculate that when the fee is undisclosed is a little cheap. He has no substantiating evidence.
    3. It seems there's also confusion on the other side of the pond as to whether it's even a permanent deal.

I think the most important part about the Tevez comaprison, is that Tevez was a player who was unhappy at his club, wanting a transfer, and that the club cashed in on him rather than hold him hostage.

It would make more sesne to draw comparisons between Dempsey and Tevez than anything else....

12. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fulham got two of their three ex-MLSers on free transfers, that's another thread entirely.

As for McBride, well, he was ageing even then. I thought $1m (or so) was pretty fair fee.

And, to discuss market value further, well, that's usually established by other sales- not just a number made up by tthe league. MLS could claim Dempsey is worth $100m, but market value would suggest somewhere between Convey and Beasley would be more accurate. Even allowing for other market factors, such as inflation/currency fluctuations, Dempsey's 'market value' should be a reflection of other players of a simlar standard, coming from the same league.

This is just the same as real estate. Comparables are used to establish market value, and sometimes fighting those can be hard. It takes time, and a number of sales to establish trends and set a market value, so upping the price over night is hard to substantiate.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It tells you than in a salary-capped league, you will often have to take less than fair market value to dump salary.

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He just said that Tevez played in Brazil, not that he's Brazilian.

15. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

"West Ham's Brazilian coup"

Sure, they played in Brazil, but at the very least it's misleading.

You wouldn't call the signing of Damani Ralph an 'American Coup'. Or maybe you would, but I certainly wouldn't. It's pointless and ambiguous at best.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DMB was playing in Holland!!

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS was willing to sell him to Benfica, but he didn't want to go.

Try again. :D

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aljarov and his agenda tend not to be intimidated by petty crap like "reality" and "facts."

19. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article. And I agree that it was insulting for overseas clubs to offer such low bids for top players.

He may not see it this way, but MLS probably did Dempsey a huge favor by not biting at the first piece of bait sent their way. My guess is that was the first of many offers he'll get. I just hope he doesn't sell himself short.

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I didn't realize European-based players were allowed to mail in their performances during the World Cup. What a rough life they have over there.

But hey, you don't need my validation.

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL Guys like you are funny. Were you one of the same people who were saying that MLS players weren't going to be in form by the WC, because they hadn't played enough this season? Did you advocate Dempsey to start because he was fresh? Either way, it's always one excuse or another. No facts would change your premise.

22. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    Excatly.
    Absolutely nobody can evaluate american players since they don't play in Europe.

I think American players are in the same situation than Euro basktball players in 1980's . They were mostly underrated because nobody was able to evaluate them properly.

When the first successful Euros succeeded in NBA (Kukoc, Sabonis, Divac etc )

The value of Europlayers rose up automatically.
    As long as american players don't make a strong impact in Europe they will always be underrated. Even if English seem already to be in love with american players.

23. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005

I've got one word for you.Bull.

24. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    This is simply a brilliant article and spot on.DEUCE should actually be thanking MLS for not biting.

25. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005

I don't think i've ever agreed with you on anything but i absolutely agree on this one.Your NBA analogy is brilliant.Kudos.