Greg Lalas: Vagenas wants Nat chance

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bigrose30, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: vagenas

His absence Saturday showed his leadership abilities. No one was there to say things like:

LD, don't run and hide.

Hey guys, don't kick the ball in your own net.

Hey guys, don't kick the ball in your own net again.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

2. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can't see what Pete brings that we don't already have in spades.

Gutty guy. MLS is a perfect fit.

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Threads merged.

4. leftjab

leftjab Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Berkeley
    in the "biggest comeback in MLS history" game, Vagenas 1) totally mishit a free kick at midfield that went straight to Mulrooney, who sent Jamil Walker in all alone, leading to the Player Who Won't Be Named's follow-up empty net goal to cut the aggregate to 4-2 right before halftime; and 2) was unable to close down Mulrooney before his incredibly desperate and improbably precise cross that Chris Roner headed in the 88th minute to tie the aggregate at 4-4. (to be a bit balanced, Vagenas did score a great counter attack goal to make it 4-0 on aggregate early in that game, but there was no Mulrooney involvement in that goal, and it just magnified Vagenas' later blunders.) And even more than Vagenas this year, Mulrooney started the season like gangbusters, and was sidelined by a serious injury. so it is a bit ironic that Vagenas called out Mulrooney by name. Vagenas has looked great in Galaxy home games this year, but their horrible road form makes it difficult to judge their players.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

klein has gotten more than his fair share of looks under Arena. injuries hit him at hte wrong time.
    Barrett got a look, played well .... then went to some rinky-dink euro team and fell off the radar. if he'd stayed with the quakes .... well, it's his fault.

some where looked over, some were victims of bad luck, some were victims of their own bad decisions and some were victims of playing behind friedel/keller for most of their careers.

nutmeg may be right ... good player, just not the right sort of player. could be what's kept mulrooney out, too.

6. latino626heat

latino626heat Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pasadena Cali
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL....ur kiddin me...Vagenas to play for the U.S. Team lol...no Way in Hell!!!!!!! that guy will get his ass whooped!!

7. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a former G' watcher I can't help but pile on here.

Pete was often fairly awful w. Sigi's teams. Tough injury 3 yrs. ago, comes back, has energy, can mark a lot of but, not all, the MLS mids. However, his crosses and clearances are often 50-50 deals - shanked or put on foot of opponent (see above).

Bottom line: Pete makes me nervous when he's trying to get into an attack...his skills are average at best and, he's not creative at all. Defensively, he works and will make some hits but, he's small and can get mangled in some 1v1 encounters.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    If I am Arena, I look at Vagenas, and I look at Dempsey, who plays the same position.And then I think about a half a nanosecond before giving Clint a call.

9. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    I'd call up Vagenas over Dempsey for the sole reason that Vagenas wouldn't subject me to his "Texas Freestyle" brand of rap. Clint's like one of those thick-necked abortions who frequent kareoke night and are filled with an unhealthy confidence about their singing voice because drunken patrons wildly cheer when the song finally ends and they no longer have to listen to what could best be discribed as the death cry of a choking succubus. I wish someone on the team would take Demps aside and tell him to never attempt to rhyme ever again. EJ and DMB obviously care too much about "feelings" and "team chemistry" and allow Demps to continue embarassing himself. Pope, Sanneh, and Gooch aren't much help either, but rumor has it that they're into smooth jazz and couldn't care less about Clint's jibber jabber. Maybe Marvell will tell Demps what's up when he finally makes the senior squad. You've seen the pic of him rockin' the beach cruiser in Holland. He's ruthless.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    if he helps the USMNT, Demps can sing the freakin anthem before each match for what I care.