Greg Elliott Interview

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by justscore, Nov 3, 2004.

1. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Today's Star Telegram there is an interview with GE. Sports Sec. pg 2D
    Some of the topics covered are...
    What went wrong with this season
    CC coaching status
    Areas needing addressed
    JK9's future
    Frisco opening

2. Mrs.TexasArsenal

Mrs.TexasArsenal New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Frisco, TX
    Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if it is online.

3. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: When is the stadium expected to be ready? "We're looking in the month of May 2005. Whether that's May 1 or May 15 is yet to be determined."
    Rain of Noah's Arc proportion ! :eek:

5. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    May 15th?? Wow, that would be 6 weeks into the season before the home opener. I was expecting around 3-4 weeks......and the rain just keeps on falling.

6. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    November showers bring May flowers?

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    More Greg Elliot answering tough questions on www.3rddegree.net

He answers some of the challenges that Viking threw down in his end of the season online rant. Good stuff.....nice to see the GM take the time to respond. I give him credit for that.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on fella. Its not the end of the world. LA and Columbus dealt with same thing.

We will play the same number of home games.

9. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    and with fewer breaks in between!

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I'm just thinking how the last thing we need, as a team desperate for a turn around, is to start the season on a 6 game road trip. We had a good road record early this season, so maybe there isn't much to worry about, but I'd hate to start the season 1-3-2 or something like that.

11. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    On the other hand, if they went 2-2-2 (1.33 points/game) I think everyone could live with that knowing that 16 of the last 26 games would be at home. Given the weak finish at the end of the 2004 season a back loaded schedule could be very helpful. BTW, if the Burn had averaged 1.33 pts per match they would have ended up with 40 and cruised into the playoffs.

12. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I undertand what you're saying. But we had the 9th worst record at home in the league this season.

Course - we weren't that much better on the road either - 7th worst.

Either way I am not too worried about it. I think any disadvantages in the beginning will be made up for at the end. Like terp said.

I wish I could get into 3rd Degree's site.

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Alright then, maybe I'm just pissed because I have that much longer to wait until the next home game!!!

14. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    To the guys worried about a 6 game road trip to start the season....would you prefer a normal schedule and play your first 2 home games in the Cotton Bowl?

15. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx

Luckily that isnt even a possibility.

16. BurnFanMan

BurnFanMan New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    El Paso
    That might be nice . . . but I think 16 home games in the new stadium would be better. But I think this is a moot point, because two games in the cotton bowl= the same lame duck attendance we had this year, not to mention cash straight out the window in rental fees. If it costs HSG 100 grand (rental fees plus lower attendance-theoretically) to play two matches at the cotton bowl and avoid a road swing to start the season, there's no way they'd go for it. If I spent 10 million plus overages on a stadium, I could wait a couple months to get it started.

17. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    L.A's season went down the tube because of it.

18. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    yeah but, they still made the playoffs!

19. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Columbus was just fine in 1999. So its a 50/50 proposition at best.

I think it comes more down to the quality of the team than anything else - and last years LA team wasn't that good.

And yeah - they still made the playoffs.

20. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Well, here's hoping that you guys are right. :)

21. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    The CB scenario just wont happen. No way FC Dallas throws away revenue by having 2 or 3 games at the CB. They would play the first 15 away and the second 15 at home before that would happen.

22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    only because we sucked so bad. If we were half as good as we were in 2002 they would have had the long off season.

23. LITTLEROCKSOCR

LITTLEROCKSOCR New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Well Burn faithful, more sad and bad news for Dallas. The Burn's best franchise player for all 9 years of the club's existence will no longer be wearing the red and black. Rumor has it "coach" Clarke and his staff met with the players for post-season evaluations, including designation of the players that will and will not be protected in the expansion draft. Coach Clarke, needing some scapegoats for his own obvious inability to actually coach a consistently winning team decided to blame many of the players for their losing season. Interesting thought...a coach putting ALL the blame on his players. I suggest to you that is an important bit of insight that will ultimately result in Clarke's mid-year departure next season as the coach. He had over a year to put his mark on the team as the head coach, with additional time before that as the assistant. While he did manage to win 4 more games this year, he still went "worst to worst." Sorry to say, FC will not be a legitimate contender for the MLS title until they get a qualified coach.

24. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This rumor has been running around for a few weeks now.
    There were meetings between staff and players. No one has stated for the record what was talked about in those meetings.

If Kreis is exposed, which I think he will be, that doesn't mean he won't be back.

Take it as you will, but both Clarke and Elliott have not closed the door on Kreis. When asked they still say that Kreis may be back.

The problem is that no one at FCD is looking for Kreis to start next year. Kreis wants to start and has stated he will go elsewhere if given a chance to start.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all very nice, but "the Burn's best franchise player" scored his final goal of the 2004 season on July 28, against Columbus, three days before the All-Star Game. He scored nothing in the 12 league matches that followed, save for two assists in the final game of the season.

The 2004 Dallas Burn stunk in large part because they couldn't score goals, and Jason Kreis was a large part of that. Poor service from the midfield was a problem, but that service was good enough for Eddie Johnson to tally 12 goals this season, including six goals in that final 12-game stretch where Kreis was MIA from the scorer's sheet.

Anyone who reads my posts here knows that I don't think very much of the Colin Clarke era thus far, but I would think even less of Clarke if he didn't look at Kreis' performance in 2004 and view him as expendable. It's not scapegoating, it's reality.