Greatest Game in MLS history! DC-NE [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MLS Detroit, Nov 6, 2004.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Not to say it wasn't enjoyable, but it would never have occured to me to call it the best MLS game ever. Neither team looked impressive or terrible on either side of the ball.

2. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
  3. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Greatest Game in MLS history! [R]

Went down to DC last night. Missed 2 goals because my friend couldn't find parking. Once inside, the atmosphere was incredible! The place was jumping. The game was fast paced and exciting. When New England scored the 3rd goal, there was about 30 NE fans sitting behind us way up in the stadium. Cool to see them make the trip or to come out and support.

When DC won the shoot out, we had to run out of the stadium because my friend parked someone in. But we stayed for a couple of minutes and soaked up the win. The people outside were running around completely psyched!

I wish the final was in DC.

4. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Joe, we've turned you straight hooligan in no time at all...cant wait to see ya at the start of next season :D

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    This is my first post ever, and I just wanted to say that it I never knew there was such fervent support for this league. I have just discovered bigsoccer last week, and it makes me proud to know that there are people out there that are just as nuts about this sport and league as I am. Seeing as I live in Little Rock I am the only person that I know that live, eats, and breaths MLS. I support Dallas, but as I dont live close to the team I dont get to see that many games. The collective knowledge of everyone, and the passion gives me hope that this league will continue to grow, and we will make it happen.

On another not, I was wondering if anyone knew how to get ahold of the league season recap DVDs or tapes. I know they made them for a time, do they still make them? If there is a way to get ahold of any of the years 1996-pres. please let me know

abilenecosmos :)

7. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't believe this game was the best ever in MLS history, but it definitely ranks up there with the best. I do, however, believe that the 6 goals scored by both clubs were scored in spectacular fashion, and the crowd in DC, thanks mostly to Barra Brava, really created an amazing atmosphere at RFK.

Kudos to DC for the win... and best of luck beating the Wizards in Carson.

Thanks,
    Marchetti

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so I missed this match. Does anyone have it on DVD or VHS tape?
    If you do or know who does, please contact me!
    Thanks.

9. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here, have another grape....oh, I'm sorry, they are all sour! :rolleyes:

10. JohnnyAlmonds

JohnnyAlmonds New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    I certainly think you'll only hear people who weren't at the game this it wasn't the best ever. I happened to be there in full glory and thought it was spectacular. I was also at MLS Cup 97 and think that game along with this one were the 2 greatest I've ever been a part of. I remember a quote in a local paper after MLS cup 97 that described RFK as "It felt like being in the belly of a beast". I never forgot that because it sort of summed it up so well. I seriously doubt there are many other venues in the league that honor soccer like the fans in RFK do. Its a damn shame those f**ckin Expos will ruin it for us.

Anyway, greatest ever? Thats up for debate. But definitely a top 3 or 5 game. Truly splendid.

11. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Saturday night was the culmination of years of loss and missed opportunities, the display of a team gaining strength and confidence at exactly the right time. They knew they had it from the beginning of the season, it just needed time and a wonderful coach to make it all work. And it did. Multiply my feelings by about 20,000 and that is what it was like. The energy in the stadium was incredible but inevitable, and goodness New England played better than they have all year, I think. I think a lot of credit should go to them, they came into one of the hardest stadiums to come into and played in the biggest match of the season and nearly took it home with them. And their supporters who came down showed class start to finish.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

No offense, and congratulations and good luck at the final and all that, but... man, a Red Sox fan has a right to say this. But we're a few decades away from MLS fans having the right to talk about "the culmination of years of loss and missed opportunities...." I mean seriously, we haven't even had ten seasons yet, it's not like any of our fans can be called long-suffering yet.

13. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Cept Metro fans of course...

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I disagree. They especially haven't suffered long enough ;)

15. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone would bring up the Shootout. Not too long and I knew we could count on KCWiz, Bigsoccer's resident lover of the Shootout, he never fails.

There is a huge difference between PK's and the Shootout, and there is a huge difference between a Conference final and a regular season game say in the middle of April.

The Shootout was a joke with a huge clock rolled out onto the field, and PK's is a worldwide accepted way to end a deadlock when a winner is needed, IE a championship game.

Save your love of the Shootout for your grandkids.

KCWiz, "Back in my day, we had to walk barefoot in the snow to go to school. And when it came to soccer, we had the Shootout."

Grandkids, "Oh no, here we go again."

16. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The shootout was horrible, and the notion of having every tied game played 120 minutes plus PKs is ridiculous. Doing that would lessen the excitement of Saturday's game.

17. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    This is how good this DC-NE game was. I'm a Galaxy fan, (please don't hold it against me) soIwas a little dwn. My 4 1/2 year old daughter actually reminded me that the Freddy game was on.

So we started watching when it was 2-2. Freddy finally came in and my daugher (again, only 4 1/2) is yelling and clapping, eevenbefor he came in. So my wife ( a so-so soccer fan) starts watching, too. She's still a EZ fan.

We wastched the rest of the second half,overtime, and penalty kicks. My daughter, wife and me watched the entire time yelling and screaming at each chance. Sounds like we missed a good first half, but the second half was great too. For a little kid to sit glued to the tv to watch soccer is amazing. Even she can tell a good game from a bad one (Note many...most... Galaxy games my daughter saw were pretty boring). This game was a good one.

Sure, Freddy made it interesting to her but also to me and my wife too. Never understimate his "star"power.

Good luck in "my" stadium. Beat those damn Wizards! And let Freddy score the winning goal!

18. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: DC-NE (r)

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    We'll take the victory. But the doctor says I can have only one heart attack in any 8 day period. I'm already up to like 4.

19. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Greatest Game in MLS history!

Damn straight NattyBo
    Lost interest!?!
    I was DYING!