Greatest Game in MLS history! DC-NE [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MLS Detroit, Nov 6, 2004.

1. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    I forgot about that lower bowl capacity and you're right it wasn't quite full. awseome crowd though all the same. I've been to RFK for US games with 50K+ crowds and tbh I've never experienced a louder atmosphere anywhere (though I've not got much to compare it with).

how did it sound on TV?

2. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Re: Greatest Game in MLS history!

I was there - the crowd didn't lose interest...the tension builds up and gradually suffocates you...it becomes harder and harder to cheer as both teams have chances to win the match in OT...and then PKs...we were trying to sing loud and proud during OT, but it's hard to sing when you're heart is in your throat.

3. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Yep, dont tell me we lost intrest..if anything, it was the fact that even in the supporters groups we were so focused and worried it was just hard to muster up the strength to jump and sing for a bit, but we did ourselves proud anyway.

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Yes, it was a great game but... I doubt that New England would have been as competitive if DC had a taller keeper. There were at least one and possibly two of the Rev goals that resulted from crosses that were simply out of Rimando's reach, but which most keepers would have been able to get to. The Rev's are a team that has a lot of players who are bigger than Nicky and they were using the strategy of packing them all around the keeper during set plays. Rimando is quick and very athletic but his height is, and will always be, a problem for him. NE came out with a great strategy and it almost worked.

Now for the good news. This won't be a problem with KC since they have have a smurf front line of Arnaud and Wolff and not a lot of big players behind them. DC will win the cup 3 - 1.

5. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Re: DC-NE (r)

I agree. It had the icing on the cake for the casual fans: on top of 6 goals (who says there is no scoring in soccer!), there was OT and PKs to decide the winner -- just like the hugely attended, much hyped WWC Final in '99. But this time goals were scored -- every kind of goal from run of play to the ultimate set piece: the PK.

FSW's support of MLS has been a boon for us; if most of the USA doesn't know we exist, the rest of the World does.

6. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

if a world cup final can be decided by PKs surely and MLS eastern conference championship can....i think it's actually better that it went to PKs because it showed that neither team would edge the other one out in run of play...the LA-SJ game had a better comeback but in terms of every minute of the game this game has to be #1. DC scored then NE scored each time. EVEN THE PENALTIES WENT TO SUDDEN DEATH!!!!! i mean how close can you get without throwing a coin in the air...this game was the best!!

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, the dates got jumbled around here.

'96 was played in Boston and was the MLS Cup in which Eddie Pope headed the winning goal for DC against LA in the absolute downpour.

'97 was played in at RFK where DC soundly defeated Colorado in either a light drizzle or normal rain (I can't remember which, though I do remember that it wasn't the absolute downpour that '96 was).

-G

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's why I say that last year's SJ-KC West final game was equal in intensity, excitement and technical ability to yesterday's DC-NE East final (the SJ-LA game was a bit more sloppy on the field because it had rained for an entire week right until a few hours before kickoff, but was just as exciting and intense nevertheless).

They both had goals by one team that were each later matched by the other team and both went into double-overtime. Though yesterday's game had more goals, last year's ended with a golden goal rather than with PK's (personally, I prefer that the game be won playing rather than PKing).

But both games were absolute heart-stoppers! :D

-G

9. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    hats off to dc and new england for a great match! i watched the match on the computer and i was literally mesmerized for 120+ minutes. the emotion in the match was unbelievable, almost like a world cup qualifer or world cup match for that matter. as for the dc faithful, i congratulate thee for again setting the example and raising the bar for being the '12th man.'

10. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Am I the only one that wasn't taken by the game?

11. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Did you watch it? :confused:

12. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's hard to argue that it wasn't one of the better games of the season when you take into account the quality of the goals by Esky and Twellman, the way NE answered back each time DC scored, the suspensce of the PK shootout with the conference title on the line, etc.

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, it was pretty damn good.

14. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I remember it as somewhere between a light drizzle and normal rain. I know my son and I kept our ponchos on with hoods up, which was a good thing since beer showers came from above and behind each time United scored
    :D

15. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Sorry to be rude, but many of you are hypocrites.

I've said all along that MLS needs to have penalty kicks/shootout and a clear cut winner, even in regular season. However, many of you say that the idea is stupid and retarded. Now, when it happens you love it and say it's the greatest game ever. Sure, many other aspects of the game were intense, but nothing compares to the shootout. Hopefully you guys have seen the light and the drama that comes with it.

Wizards 1:0 Adunited

16. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply an amazing match to watch. I hope there were a fair number of 1st timers there last night. . .this was the kind of show that turns casual observers into fans.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Thanks for the idea, we'll make this one into a banner when he becomes a star :)

xxxooo

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Penalty kicks are dramatic, but they're also a coin flip. To be used in situations only when no other method for finding a winner is likely to work. Such as last night. And even last game, I would suggest nobody would have found it less of a match had somebody scored in OT and avoided the PKs. More than a couple said that was "the only thing missing."

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing 'yes.'

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry to be a dick, but WTF are you talking about? What does one have to do with the other? Are you really suggesting that we all think this was a great game BECAUSE of the PKs?

Tell you what, we'll give you a 'clear cut winner' next Sunday. DC 3 - KC 0.

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. I thought it was a great game. But ask anyone who was around me in the stadium last night and they'll tell you that when it went to PKs, I was a mess because, as I said then, "I HATE FSCKIN PKs!!!" It's a lousy way to settle a match. I love my team; but once it went to PKs, they were lucky to win, just as the Revs would have been if they'd come out of PKs the winner.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

24. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what made this game in my mind the best MLS game ever was the atomsphere. it honestly sounded like an EPL game. No silly horns, just dedicated fans cheering on their team to victory. People generally worried by the result of the game. fans chanting and singing. the end celebrations were absolutely fantastic with Dc teammates chanting and jumping. If the league were to make the regular season worth something, i think you would see a lot more games like this one. It is still a day after that game and i still have chills. Just a great advetisement for the league. i wonder what the guys at fox football friday will say. :D

25. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Re: Greatest Game in MLS history! [R]

I was "forced" to be up to 3am after coming back from the after hours celebration - Really cool, were able to watch the game on a big screen.

Won't be able to speak for several days..