Greatest European footballers In football history

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Oct 24, 2018.

?

Who are your favourite European legends

Poll closed Jul 20, 2021.
  1. Zinedine Zidane

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Marco Van Basten

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. Roberto Baggio

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Johan Cruyff

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  5. Cristiano Ronaldo

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  6. Micheal laudrup

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. Michel Platini

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  8. der Kaiser

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  9. Gerd Muller

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  10. George best

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. Dejan savicevic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Xavi Hernandez

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  13. Thierry Henry

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That's right but you claim less than 50 players have done such things.

2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #702 carlito86, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    I mean for sure
    There are defintely not 50 players(I can think of) with his combined skillset,titles
    And production
    WC top scorer
    European golden shoe
    CWC top scorer

We can talk about the penalties in WC 94,How his European golden shoe was won playing in Bulgaria(coefficient?),and how most of his opponents in the CWC proceeding the SF tie were nobodies

Yeah sure that has a place in the discussion

The body of work he accumulated over those years however forces him to be in that discussion
    At his peak for Barcelona he offered a comparable goal threat to Romario and was SO much more in other aspects of the game

He was an integral component of a legendary club side(for you the most important)
    On the international front I'd say for a country like Bulgaria a player cannot be expected to do more

He achieved the maximum with the tools at his disposal

3. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I agree with you, I do not think there are 50 other players who were better than Stoichkov... Furthermore, Stoichkov not only achieved exceptional results relative to his era, but also his era was notoriously difficult for great players (note: right after the zonal marking revolution of Arrigo Sacchi, but before modern referee protection, making it a particularly difficult generation for the creative players), not to mention the fact that his generation enjoyed an abundance of talented players e.g. Hagi, Laudrup, Romario, Baggio, Le Tissier, Cantona, Savicevic, etc.

I do not think it necessarily makes Stoichkov a superior player versus Romario, but it does make Stoichkov a more modern player than Romario; the fact that it is extremely easy to imagine Stoichkov doing better in the 2002 - 2007 era than in his own era, where on the other hand, with Romario it becomes necessary to assume that Romario would need to become a harder-working type striker, and that is a big assumption to make.

With Stoichkov, he will only become better as a result of modern referee protection; more willingness to complete dribbling runs, more willingness to cross the ball more often, etc. Stoichkov in my view is basically a selfless version of Cristiano Ronaldo; for example, Stoichkov had a great enough technique that he could've done more to make himself an entertaining player in the eyes of the fans (which is very useful in terms of how said fans will rate the player after retirement), this is one of those dimensions of the game where Ronaldo's selfishness allowed him to intuitively pick up on that fact, as from a young age Ronaldo knew that being a bit of a trickster circus act would get him the love of the fans, which is directly beneficial to the perception of the modern player.

Stoichkov was a selfless, humble, and simple player in that regard; I think it definitely hurt his legacy. Stoichkov's technique was natural enough, and stylish enough, that he could've done a lot more to facilitate or adorn the art of selling himself to the global viewers; he could have adorned his technique in such a way that his perception as that type of player would've been better. But in any event, the fact of the matter is that Stoichkov preferred efficiency and simplicity, that was who he was as a player.

I think the midfielder playmaker Pavel Nedved gets routinely underrated on the basis of similar arguments.

carlito86 repped this.
  4. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #705 carlito86, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020

A totally unreal player

6. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Amazing. Didn't know this existed, thanks.

carlito86 repped this.
  7. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    Thanks @carlito86
    It is sad that players like Di Stefano and Puskas are not even mentioned as Europe's greatest players of all time let alone the world. Obviously, most people don't take interest in history.
    In any case, I have set this page aside and am waiting for the day that it is released.
    You hear the older players speak so highly of him. For me, I put Di Stefano and Puskas in the second category of all time greats. Just below the two major greats that share the spot of being the best. Super, super players. Edit: Neither Puskas or Di Stefano were put on the poll for this thread

@carlito86 for whatever reason, i feel that Puskas shared a similarity to CR7 in CR7's later years (27-32 years old) strictly speaking in terms of directness and effectiveness and not playmaking so much. Not necessarily that they shared the same characteristics or played the same style. For what it's worth, I prefer Di Stefano of the two, as I have an affinity for players that are pleasing to the eye and get many touches on the ball in a game. AKA, playmakers or number 10s and 8s

carlito86 repped this.
  8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Was di Stefano even a greater playmaker as Puskas?

Di Stefano from the footage looked like a great organiser and elite ball carrier

But i don't see the vision one associates with classical number 10s

And the dribbling is practically no existent or at least at a rudimentary level

He's Argentine/SA players anyways even if he represented the Spanish NT

It's a bit different to other naturalized greats like Eusebio/Zidane

Its just not the same imo

ko242 repped this.
  9. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    From some of the games ive seen from him. And I like the games not the highlights. Ive been impressed. I see him and Puskas as completely different players. I've see Di Stefano start plays from the center back position or number 6 position many times. And he's a very intelligent player. From the Di Stefano book I read, he ran the real Madrid team by the accounts of many others (even Puskas had something to say about it). And from what I read, he was not easy to get along with.

Edit: I love Zidane. But I put Di Stefano over Zidane.

This Statement is subject to change as I am always trying to learn more information and better take the context of the game into consideration and watch more games

10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    roverman repped this.
  11. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Zidane was not naturalized.

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #713 carlito86, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    In my humble opinion this is the best football technique based video to ever be posted on YouTube

Not only is Ibrahimovic in the verge of breaking into the top 10 goalscorers of all time he is also able to hold is own against any of the technical maestros of the late 80s and early 90s
    He is a legit genius in the fundamentals of technique
    first touch,control,close control dribbling,is a great passer relative to his position And can finish in any way the situation requires

I think he is maybe missing 15-20 high profile performances to be considered the best European 9 of the last 50 years
    For sure he is the best of the last 2 decades

On a historical scale he is the most difficult to rank but make no mistake he is on a COMPLETELY different level to Gerd Muller,shevchenco,lewandowski,shearer,van nistelrooy,papin etc when it comes to audacious technique and dribbling

Only van basten is near him and even then i don't say he is at his level

Ibrahimovic (with his latest goal flurry at 39 years old)is a legit contender to be considered the greatest foreign player in Serie A history

MPNumber9, leadleader and Buyo repped this.
  13. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #714 leadleader, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021

It is fairly obvious that Zlatan is an underrated player, and it is arguably quite tragic (from Zlatan's perspective) that he got to play in one of the least balanced eras of all time, an era where Barcelona and Real Madrid won 7 out of 10 cups between 2009 and 2018; a level of dominance without precedent; Messi and Ronaldo enjoyed the extraordinary privilege of playing for the most dominant super-clubs in recorded history, all the while Zlatan had to make due with 2nd-tier clubs like AC Milan and Inter Milan for almost the entirety of his career, with his one season with Barcelona as the solitary exception in an otherwise unlucky career.

In other words, Zlatan's lack of big game performances, are almost entirely a result of his unbalanced era, as well as the fact that Sweden are not Portugal, that is, a 2nd-tier national team with a proven track record of frequently over-achieving relative to their talent; which Portugal was doing before, during, and probably long after Cristiano Ronaldo retires.

From the players I have watched closely (note: Van Basten not being one of said players, which is why I am omitting him out of pure ignorance); the Dutch genius Dennis Bergkamp is the most obvious one who I can put in the same class or slightly above Zlatan; basically, Bergkamp offered almost everything Zlatan offers, but Bergkamp was more selfless and better defensively, and also a better passer as well.

Furthermore, the Uruguayan prodigy Enzo Francescoli I think had the talent to hit the same heights, but lacked the career to convincingly substantiate the argument; but this player I think was the South American equivalent to Dennis Bergkamp, albeit of course he played before Bergkamp.

msioux75 and Gregoire1 repped this.
  14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He gets criticized a lot for his UCL record, but I've been reviewing the past 20 years, and I've become a bit more sympathetic for him. It is not clear to me, if he was in fact in the best position to do well in the UCL throughout most of his career.

Personally, I think he could've done better with Mourinho's Inter Milan, and were it not for his breakdown with Pep, he could've had a dynasty with Barcelona. Outside of those two cases, I don't think he did particularly poorly given his circumstances.

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  16. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ibrahimovic is a genius, no doubt. He was exceptional technically to play for Barca, but the ego clash between Pep and him was the reason he left. I like Suarez, but Ibrahimovic is the more naturally talented player and fit Barca more tbh. Marco van Basten is one of my favourite player and this guy is the closest I’ve seen, but had a very unlucky career. What he’s doing with Milan is great.

17. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @carlito86 Have you watched this goal? Dude is 6’5 with technical ability of small great players.

18. rok999

rok999 New Member

Chelsea
    Brazil
    Dec 5, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cristiano Ronaldo, of course. His passion, discipline, dedication and desire to win titles are at the top of football today. He is still scoring at the top level and can expect to continue to win titles.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  19. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know if I would call is very unlucky. He was put in a position to reach great heights, but never quite found a way to make it work for him. Plenty of great players have worked under Pep. I think even Yaya Toure, who had a very bad relationship with Pep as well, held it together just long enough for him to win the UCL.

20. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I agree with most you said.

Just, excluding the Barça/Real dominance, I don't remember clearly standout matches for Zlatan in the decisive KO rounds in UCL, to give him, the clubs achievement that his NT wasn't able to offer.

21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  22. OldSchoolScout.com

OldSchoolScout.com New Member

Newcastle United
    Netherlands
    Feb 24, 2021
    Rob Rensenbrink would have been in there for me.

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Robert Lewandowski a modern great?

Best 2 consecutive league campaigns comparison

Marco van basten 1985/86+1986/87
    68 goals+13 assists in 4521 league minutes(50.2 matches)
    1.61 goals+assists per 90

Gerd muller 1971/72+ 1972/73
    76 league goals+25 assists in 5938 league minutes(65.9 matches)
    1.53 goals+assists per 90

Robert lewandowski 2019/20+2020/21
    65 goals+10 assists in 4715 league minutes(52.3 matches)
    1.43 goals+assists per 90

Goal Involvement

Bayern Munich scored 194 league goals in 1971/72 and 1972/73
    Gerd Muller was directly involved in 52% of his teams goals

Bayern Munich have so far scored 171 league goals in 2019/20 and 2020/21 bundesliga
    Robert lewandowski has been directly involved in 43% of his teams goals

Ajax scored 212 league goals in 1985/86 and 1986/87 Eredivisie
    Van basten was directly involved in 38% of his teams goals

Match Winning goals

Robert Lewandowski 19/20 + 20/21 scored 20 match winning goals
    Bayern Munich have so far won 43 league matches

Robert lewandowski has so far had a 46% share in his teams victories
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bundesliga/gamewinners/wettbewerb/L1/plus/1?saison_id=ges

Gerd Muller 1971/72 + 1972/73 scored 21 match winning goals
    Bayern Munich won 49 league matches
    Gerd muller had a 42% share in his teams victories
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bundesliga/gamewinners/wettbewerb/L1/plus/1?saison_id=ges

Van basten 1985/86 + 1986/87 scored 14 match winning goals
    Ajax won 50 league matches

Van basten had a 28% share in his teams victories
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eredivisie/gamewinners/wettbewerb/NL1/plus/1?saison_id=1986

If we compare to someone like Thierry Henry

Thierry Henry 2002/03+2003/04
    54 goals+35 wide assists in 6631 league minutes(73.6 matches)
    1.20 goals+assists per 90

Arsenal scored 158 league goals
    TH14 was directly involved in 56% of his teams goals

In terms of match winning goals
    Thierry Henry during the aforementioned period scored 20 match winning goals

Arsenal won 49 league matches
    Thierry Henry had a 40% share of his teams victories

However way you look at it
    Lewandowski(his form over the last 18 or so months)is inarguably one of the most effective strikers of all time