Great picture on thecrew.com/mlsnet.com and my thoughts..

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Chris_Bailey, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

Now bear with me, for this is a theory that I have and plan on implementing if an MLS does indeed hire me at any position.

THESE are the fans we need to market/cater to. I know we've all seen this said time and time again. If this idea is just a rehash of old discourse then feel free to ignore it. I know not everyone agrees with it, but I think it's a resource that the Crew HQ have yet to tap at all. I actually plan on writing some sort of campaign proposal (that I am working on for my mass media advertising class here at school) that will provide a way for an MLS team to market to those in the 20-30 year old age bracket.

In other words, market to guys like me.

WE are the ones that show up wiht our bodies painted in 30 degree weather to see the U.S. or Crew play in Crew stadium. WE're the ones who buy the beer, bring the songs, bring the zeal that is needed to support an MLS team.

WE're the generation that will bear children who will have the league from the start of their lives. WE're the ones who will be putting little Crew balls in their carriage when our kids are infants.

We need bus advertising, train advertising, TV ads that aren't generic and promote the next game to come specifically. WE're the ones who wolf down 8 hotdogs in a night because we're college-aged and haven't lost our metabolism;)

In short, I believe around 70% of what MLS teams should try to market towards is the young adult crowd. The time of catering to families is now 8 years strong with so-so results. Why not swing the team image to something a local college kid would want to root for? Nearly every MLS team has a good-sized school just brimming with potential fans....have they been explored well enough yet?

Need I go on?

2. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lost me at the Crew balls...

3. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

You know, like hopeful fathers put Wilson footballs in their baby's carriage at birth..

4. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I know exactly what you're saying Bailey and I have been saying that since day 1.

Families will come reguardless but will never be that dedicated. They have comfy homes, busy schedules, and standing in the cold watching the Crew isn't as much of a priority for most.

Most people in their 20's don't have as many responsibilities and have much more free time. And they will have famalies in a few years but their family will have deeper roots with the Crew and look at it different than just "Something to take the kids to on Saturday night"

5. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    where did u find that at?

6. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, Chris, market my tat.

7. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Chris, I know what you meant.

8. Superdrew69

Superdrew69 Member

May 9, 2004
    The Ohio State Univ.
    Wow, that's me. I didn't really expect to make it on to the main page with that picture. You are right about marketing to that age group though. Anytime I bring a friend to a game, they are immediatly hooked and keep coming.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, if it can work for the J-League, it can work for the CREW!!! Most of the attendance at J-League matches have people in the 20-30 year-old range.