Great Lake Conf. Thread 2005

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Dave Brull, Mar 7, 2005.

1. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    Chicago Fire Premier 4, Cleveland Inter 2. CFP are in the Cup.

I'll have a more descriptive post later. Right now, hot dogs and hamburgers are calling me.

2. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire were the dominant side in a match that wasnt really close. CFP 1st goal in the 5th minute from Omar Jarum. Chicago then tacked on their 2d from a deflected Dan Wasson shot which the Cleveland keeper did well to parry but, unfortunately, the parry went straight to Nowaf Jaman. In the 53d, Wasson started it again with a ball up the right side to nr 14, Omar Jarum, who slotted a wonderful ball to Jaman for his 2d. Cleveland's first was a rocket of a shot by Tony Dore in the 58th. Cleveland then inched closer in the 72d with Will Kletsien netting of a Chris Green corner. Lights were then turned out in the 88th, with Kyle Brown netting, assisted by Drew Degurian.

3. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    After the tie to Toledo, we didn't even think about making it to the Cup. We really figured that the Bucks and Boulder would take care of business.

There are now 4 Chicago Teams in the Tournament. AAC Eagles and Polonia from Region II join CFP in the first round. The Chicago Fire join in the 3rd round.

In case anyone is wondering, a little PDL trivia history. The Premier have not lost a regular season match in 30 outings. Last loss, June 27, 2003 to the St. Louis Strikers, 4-3.

Also another little piece of soccer history, the AAC Eagles won the US Open Cup in 1990.

4. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    According to the offficial stats, it was David Leung. Jarun was a late sub.

5. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    OK, my take on the CFP-Inter game. In the first half, I thought I was watching last year's Inter club, I think they created one chance on goal, and couldn't get anything else together. They played totally different in the second half, managed to attack, seemed to have a little more confidence. They're certainly better then last year, but Chicago showed that they are the class of the PDL.

The USL website says 90 for yesterday, and I think that was being generous. Why won't they promote this team? The PD has two writers who cover soccer, do they even know Inter exist? I really think Cleveland has a fan base to properly support a club like this, but people have to know about it. I'm not even talking giant attendance figures, but I'm sure you could get enough to fill the bleachers at Coughlin (it holds about 1,000). I also thought it was sad that Inter is a big youth soccer organization, but they didn't have any ball boys/girls, and players had to chase balls all over the place. Eh, maybe it was just because of the holiday weekend.

6. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    If that number is accurate, then maybe 35% of them were at the Inter-Bucks game.

7. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say this even if the Bucks got in....I really wish they could expand the qualification for the PDL, year after year we see the Central Conference leave out 2, sometimes even 3 really good teams.

Bucks, Indiana, Ft. Wayne, Boulder Rapids, Sioux Falls all miss out this year...

I understand the limitations, financially and otherwise, but it would just be nice to add a few extra teams. Maybe if I get some time this week, maybe I'll dream up an expanded USOC qualifier plan...

Go Chicago & Des Moines!...represent the midwest in the Cup!

By the way....how did the Bucks do vs. Indiana on Monday? Was anyone there?

8. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    Yeah, the money just makes that impossible. I briefly discussed this with one of the Duggans a couple of years ago. Financially the USOC is a real drag, unless you can get your games at home. And even then they are no picnic.

But I don't think the Bucks deserved a spot this year. Last year, yes. This year no. I do wonder how much better we'd be if Mychal Turpin hadn't been injured in the first game. And JoJo Kabwe is listed on the roster, but I haven't seen him yet this season.

I too have no clue what happened in the Indy game - no word on buckssoccer.com or invadersfc.com or at uslsoccer.com. Don't know where else to look.

9. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I would agree that the CFP is AMONG the class of the PDL, but the statement about them BEING the class of the PDL is pretty strong and premature. The season is pretty young to make a statement like that. I am not saying they aren't, but wouldn't venture speculation this early in the season (even on my Menace!).

10. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    IMHO, school is still out on the current edition of CFP. With the turnover of the team, things just jell a little different each year, this team is not the dominate lights out team of last year, they aren't the cobbled together team of 2001 either.

I think the next two weekends will tell the mettle of this team, face the Bucks in home and away games, we'll see what both teams are made of.

11. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost impossible to judge teams league-wide. You can only really compare them to the other teams in the region. Who's to say Cascade couldn't beat up on Chicago, or some other club no one ever sees.

I'll stick to judging the teams by region...anything beyond that you're just comparing numbers and rosters

12. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    That's all I'm saying. The only real test comes during the playoffs. I do wholeheartedly agree with the support for both Central teams in the USOC! I would really like to see both advance into atleast the third round. It is always good to get an MLS team and see what you are really made of! (I wish we could get Chivas or RSL!) ;)

13. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    Indiana 3 - Michigan 1

Just noticed on the usl website.

14. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    Eh, sometimes I type faster then I think, lol. Thats closer to what I meant to say, that they were among the class of the PDL. I ain't crazy enough to try picking a PDL winner after seeing one game from two teams!

BTW, was it just me, or was Inters goalkeeper just a little beefy?

15. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    The kid tends to get them in bunches, he had a couple of multi-goal games last season. He had a four goal game last year on the road against the Brass.

17. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I don't know how you define class, but you might consider that CFP play with a roster comprised of virtually no "overage" players or prior professionals. Essentially all D1 collegiate guys.

18. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    We currently have one former pro, Hamid, he's a neighborhood guy and a great roll model. By design PDL is a u-23 league, we are first and always a development team, seems to work, others are finding it can be successful for them too!

So the big game is Saturday MB v CFP. Some of the best soccer games I've seen the last 5 years, especially the Conference Championship in 2003 was a great game well played by both teams.

19. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    Anyone else on the boards heading out to join the tens of people for Inter's game vs. West Michigan tomorrow night?

20. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another question:

Since we have a nice representation of Great Lakes Division people....

Is there anyone within this thread (or even outside of it) who are interested in broadcasting games for Great Lakes teams?

Let me know, send me a PM, an IM, or an email...

21. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possible. I'll know tomorrow.

22. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Nope, not this time. Haven't really mentioned it before, but I do share the concern of Dave and others re Inter. They don't seem very anxious to advertise their goods. Don't respond to emails, don't have info in the PD...

Progressive Auto Insurance would be a good sponsor for them... "when the minimum is all you need." I see they finally have a roster posted on the USL site. Not much in the way of player profiles, though.

Midfielders Labudouski and Kletzein seem off to good starts. Note that our favorite keeper, the lovelorn Adam Urban, is back. A rough start for him, however, four goals against in one match played. Not that any of us here could do much better. :rolleyes:

I wish them every success. Always liked the Nanchoffs and respect their large contribution to area soccer. But the clandestine nature of the Inter operation is perplexing.

23. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Volunteers is what makes a PDL franchise go 'round...some of the best-run PDL and W-League franchises have either one of two things going for them:

(1) 2 or 3 work-a-holics acting as the Owner/GM/Coaches....(Example: Vermont Voltage)
    (2) A reasonable front office staff who take advantage of a local college and/or soccer club in which they pull interns and volunteers from.
    (Bonus) Enough connections to attract talented college players to your club. That will typically breed success ON THE FIELD, and that, as we all know is an excellent way for a club to get local attention.

And some clubs do the bare minimum....which is very difficult to watch happen when (from my experience and people that I know within the league) there IS a formula for success. Obviously, it's much easier if you have more money invested in the club, but BASICALLY there is a general formula you can follow in order to make a franchise (at this level) successful.

The one thing you can do is, IF YOU CAN, offer to help.

24. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CHN71, What news from the west. (I should have gone. I got stood up..)

25. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    Our main man Alvin Washington does a number of our home games for tape delay broadcast on the web. http://www.mcsports.us/