Great article on the

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by the shelts, Mar 7, 2016.

1. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    SteveCo and skipper60601 repped this.
  2. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zungul attended a Sockers' reunion night in 2014 but supposedly he didn't pay much attention to the game. People forget that he was a great outdoor player, but he got very little chance to play outdoor after he left Yugoslavia. He only had two seasons in the NASL before it folded, and he was league MVP one of those seasons.

SteveCo repped this.
  3. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The "Lord of all Indoors" I loved watching Steve Zungul play. It is a big shame that his contributions to the sport were never adequatly recognized. I guess that he wanted nothing to do with indoor soccer after he left the sport. When the San Diego Sockers came to town, you could be guaranteed that these three things would happen.
    1. Steve Zungul would score a boatload of goals
    2. He would get under everyone's skin very quickly, players and fans alike.
    3. No matter how big of a lead you had, at the end of the game, San Diego had won.

Forget about trying to win in San Diego, home of the Zungul Jungle. The two indoor players that I enjoyed watching the most were Steve Zungul and Karl Heinz Granitza. They scored goals with ease, complained about every call that did not go in their favor, and always pushed the boundaries of the sport in what was allowed and not allowed. Many great memories watching Steve play.

4. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 skipper60601, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Granitza used to sometimex point at teammates on the field annd scream at them for not passing the ball to him. Sting fans used to boo the daylights out of him when he did that. They recognized that he was a prima donna and not the greatest teammate.

5. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He did that all the time! If he gave you the one handed brush off, he was mad at you. If he used both hands, watch out, you really ticked him off. I don't remember too many Sting fans booing him. It was rather comedic at the time, still is. That is just who he was. He did the same things to the refs. Karl Heinz was one of the most popular players on the team. (to the fans, not teammates) The one handed or two handed brush off became quite popular in our pick-up soccer games at the time. It was all in good fun!