Grass Roots Support Group For MLS in San Antonio

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by IRguy, May 6, 2005.

1. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi my name is Justin and I’m trying to help jump start a grass roots supporters group in San Antonio. I would like to invite anyone interested to join me at Fox in the Hound for some games, drinks for a very IMFORMAL meeting on Saturday (05/07). If you would like to be part of it PM me!!

If you have any interest in our group go to our Website at http://www.geocities.com/mlsinsa/ and Sign up to be on The email list!!

Thanks and Hope to meet some of you soon!

Justin

2. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good job, guys!

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Justin -- what time? May as well make it public in case you can't successfully PM the info.

5. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nice to see someone's trying to get things working over there :)
    You say the website is being worked on, do you mean that its just a temporary layout or a temporary bit of content or both? I quite obviously can't do any ticket drives or anything due to being about 5,000 miles away, but could create a website design for you, if you'd like.

6. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Wow. Thanks. All the way from England:)

7. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Cool! I am the "web page administrator" who knows verly little about web page making. :D So. Any help is greatly welcome. Now. I am currently using geocities.com and their took kit for web.page.making.for.dummies. So. Any help to enhance the site is greatly welcomed! :)

8. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello, Justin. I'm not going to be able to make it Saturday, but I'm more than willing help pass out flyers or anything whenever you get to that point. But, I know you're trying to make it informal at this point. Either way, I'll support whatever.

9. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Signed up at the website.

I can't make the meeting, I have a wedding/reception to attend tonight. But I promise I'll have some beers and talk up MLS soccer all night to whoever will listen.

But I'll be there for the next meeting (F&H is right up the street from my house in fact). I also really want to check out this Lion and the Rose place down on Broadway, so maybe we can do the next one there? ;)

10. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Is Fox & Hound over on De Zavala? That's really close to my house. But I couldn't make it tonight.

11. CA-SA

CA-SA Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Brownsville, TX
    i'm out of town this weekend...count me as of monday....hell, lets even do CCC game or MFL games....Remember, its about us getting the ball rolling by getting together to watch games. MLS,LIGA,EPL, whatever.

12. Sandman

Sandman Member

Apr 27, 1999
    San Antonio,TX, USA
    Some suggestions for the group (and kill two birds with one stone)-
    - start getting the word out; there are a lot of soccer folks out there that don't roam these boards for the second meeting think about getting flyers to places that should be natural recruiting grounds (soccer shops, indoor facilities, have someone speak at a SASA meeting, ask head coaches of high schools to pass the word around to their players). Put the supporters web address on the flyers along with Bigsoccer and giving information as to when the next meeting is.

- while at these places, start talking up the ticket drive. It shouldn't matter if they are against the current dome deal (if the city sees a demand they will make a deal work, if there is no demand then they will simple forget about)

Any soccer association should be good for a big group of tickets: the sales pitch= they could internalize the cost through membership fees. They could buy like 15-20 tickets and give the tickets to a different team each week. Soccer associations have alot to gain by having MLS there, increased awareness of their league = more participation, etc. They could even create a division with an odd number of teams so that the team with the bye week could be awarded the tickets. This could be done for as many divisions of teams that the league has. Or season tickets could be awarded to division winners.

Soccer coaches (high school, college - I know St.Mary has a team) should consider getting tickets as well; their players would benefit from watching soccer at its highest level in the US.

Sorry if I droned on and on or it doesn't make any sense, but I am sorely lacking sleep (it sounds good in my head)

on another note: is it a good idea to write the EN and basically tell them that SA is a bad sports town (not a soccer specific email/letter); and that Houston and Dallas are the only cities with enough sports lovers to have multiple teams? My thinking is to push the little brother complex on them; perhaps afterwards we will start seeing articles like "We would support soccer BUT the alamodome deal stinks". Right now the writers are able to combine their hatred for soccer with the perceived bad alamodome deal. Just a thought to try to seperate MLS and the Alamodome deal.

13. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  14. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i didn't post a Time becouse i was not sure what time i could make it, but i'm should be there at 8:30pm before start of the REal & Chivas game. Hopfully they will have that one on. So far i have a lot of interest but no one has comfrimed yet. but i'll be there for the game so if you have a chance just stop by. I"ll have a note book and i think i'll be they only person there who does;) and i'll try to fined a table near the game if they have it on.

Fox and Hound English Pub & Grille
    12651 Vance Jackson Road, Ste 110
    San Antonio, TX 78230
    Phone: (210) 696-1356

Map
    http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?a...z=San+Antonio,+tx&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Hope to see you there!

15. Sandman

Sandman Member

Apr 27, 1999
    San Antonio,TX, USA
    So how did the first unofficial meeting go? From the sound of it many people were going to have to miss due to other conflicts.

To anyone passing out flyers or anything what has been the response?