Grabaovy Rumors

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bigredmachine, Jul 1, 2005.

1. On the Galaxy boards, they are floating rumors of a Fire trade for Ned Grabavoy. Seems like a good idea if we don't give up too much for a right sided mid with attacking potential. I'd give them Buete and Griffin without a second thought.

2. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    How about Thorrington. One homeboy for another.

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Griffin, Thorrington, and a new net for a practice goal. Anytime they want it.

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Aren't those the two guys we picked over Ned?

5. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Yep. Buete at #9, Griffin at #11.

Ned was #12 I believe, off the top of my head.

6. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Thiago out 4-6 weeks we need an attacking central midfielder more than ever.

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    He's only going to miss 4 MLS games, plus the first US Open Cup game. Oh, and the AC Milan game too. If the time missed stays at 4 weeks, at least.

If he has surgery right away, and it's a 4 week deal, he'd be back right around August 3rd, which is the US Open Cup fourth round date.

8. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    I guess I missed it -- what happened to Thiago? I know he went out at the half but I never heard and I didn't see anything official on the Fire site.

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.

12. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    That's just what we need, another bench-warmer. Grabavoy is really ripping it up out there in la-la land. He's putting in minutes in the Jack Stewart, Leonard Griffin category. Whoopee.

Even Paul Broome (who they just got rid of) had more time than Grabavoy did.

13. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    I sprained my meniscus (right knee) ages ago and it still hasn't recovered. That truly sucks about Thiago, he had some spots of brilliance of late.

I feel good about Grabavoy; he has excellent pedigree and a super work ethic. For all anyone knows there could be a hidden agenda with regard to Sampson. However, if he is cursed to the bench as you say, at least we would have removed two disappointments in Buete and Griffin for a player with potential. Who knows what could happen, look at what a move from Los Angeles to Chicago did for Metro Ratso! ;)

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is, it really would be a masterstroke to be able to say, "hey we made a decision at the time that we thought was the best with the information available. Now that we have more information, we evaluate those players differently."

I think that really is a hallmark of good management in any sport. Just because you liked Ruben Rivera in 1997 doesn't mean you still have to like him in 1999. Decision makers not only have the right, but the responsibility to adjust their evaluations as more info comes to light.

For stretches last year, Grabavoy was far more effective and showed far more promise than either Griffin or Buete have shown in their MLS careers. Maybe Sarachan should have known that in the first place, but regardless why throw good money after bad at this point?

15. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should NOT lose anyone in this deal. 1 draft pick, 3rd round, take it or leave it.

16. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. No shame for players or management to trade young players so they can have opportunities both to get new shots in new places and to better each team.

17. irishwhiskey21

irishwhiskey21 New Member

May 22, 2005
    Chicago
    Is anything going on with Grabavoy anymore??

18. joshyroundhere

joshyroundhere New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Chicago
    This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with linking him to the Fire, but I was on MLSnet.com and saw this article [regarding young, more untested players getting a chance to show what they've got during the Gold Cup]...

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050706&content_id=35682&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Grabavoy's section:
    Ned Grabavoy, Los Angeles -- Coming out of preseason training last spring, it appeared as though this Indiana University product would play a huge role for the Galaxy as a rookie. But as Andreas Herzog got himself into shape and played magnificently in the first half of the year, it limited his play. Unfortunately for Grabavoy, the coaching change in August from Sigi Schmid to Steve Sampson didn't help his cause either, as his playing time decreased even more. In total, he played in 15 of 30 matches last year. This year, it's been even more difficult for him to get time with the infusion of several international players, as well as Landon Donovan. With Donovan out of the picture for the next weeks, the former U.S. Under-20 national team standout can up his stock to either play for Sampson or get traded another team in the league that needs a level-headed central midfielder.

The question is, is it worth it to bring him over if Thiago will only be out a short amount of time? Can we groom him for R-mid?

19. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't think it's possible to have too many good midfielders. After the display against Chivas, it's clear that there's quite a drop off after Thiago. Even with Thiago and Armas healthy and playing well, Ned could prob play right mid. It's not like he'd have much competition there, Jaqua is likely our best right midfielder which isn't saying much on top of the fact he's solidified his position at forward this season. After him, if Ned is any good, he'd only have to beat out Pause, who's playing more out of position there anyways.

Just checked on Thorington, he's not listed as injured and hasnt been in the last 3 match rosters, even as an used sub. Also, didn't play the last reserve match. Seemingly healthy and not even making the bench for home games, does this guy just suck?

20. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    It wouldn't be the first time MLS went out of their way to steer players back to their home towns.

Isn't Thorrington a California boy? He's not getting time here. How about JT and a draft pick?

Ned is more of a d-mid correct? If so, I like the idea because we still have not found our replacement for the Armas/Marsch combo platter. When these guys head for retirement (which I expect will be painful and involuntary) we will need to rely on Buete? ...Pause? ...Ivan?
    - I want Ivan on the Left, but how long is his contract?
    - Pause is turning into a better defender then mid
    - Buete has impressed me of late defensively, but sucks going forward.

I wouldn't give up a lot to get Ned, but if he can be had cheaply it would be a nice addition, IMO. With LD's salary, how much more can LA really afford? It would almost have to be dev players and draft picks.

21. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

Chicago Fire AthletiCo Injury Report
    Capano, Craig - L torn ACL surgery - Out
    Jaqua, Nate - L ankle bone bruise - Probable
    Pickens, Matt - R groin strain - Out
    Thiago - L knee ligament tear - Out
    Thorrington, John - L hamstring strain - Out

22. foosball

foosball New Member

May 1, 2003
    Seems like Sampson wants rid of him, and I think we should help ole' Mr. 3-6-1 out.

23. foosball

foosball New Member

May 1, 2003
    Sorry Bing. My responses are in your quote except for the last one.Trying to be too tech!

24. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    'salright - at least you're agreeing with me ;)

25. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks..used the link below

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/stats/injuries.jsp

"CHICAGO FIRE
    OUT: MD Craig Capano (L torn ACL); DF C.J. Brown (R hamstring strain); GK Matt Pickens (R groin strain); FW Andy Herron (R hamstring strain); QUESTIONABLE: MD Chris Armas (R ankle sprain)"

BUT..I see the problem:

"Injury Report

Updated: June 9, 2005"