GOP unveils tax plan

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Boloni86, Nov 2, 2017.

1. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    You could open a bike shop.

soccernutter repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Looser.

3. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    CBO adjusted the deficit impact upwards to 1.7 trillion over 10 years. 170 billion per year on top of what is already a bad deficit. http://thehill.com/policy/finance/359353-gop-tax-bill-would-add-17-trillion-to-debt-cbo

If Obama and Boehner would have made their grand bargain in 2011, I think by today we'd be looking at a nearly balanced budget. Maybe 250 billion in the red tops. Would have included some sensible cuts, maybe to military, loopholes and even entitlements like SNAP. All Obama was asking is a modest tax increase, most of which would have been channeled directly into a big infrastructure program ... maybe 750,000 well paying jobs created. Quickest way to redistribute money into the economy is letting the workers keep more of it. With CEOs you never know ... capital doesn't need a passport. That money could end up anywhere, fueling the economy in Panama or Ireland. Not to mention that infrastructure investment fuels the economy at the other end too ... More resiliency against natural disasters, more efficient ways to move people/products around and a more efficient energy sector.

But alas, no. The priority was passing meaningless Obamacare repeals.

fatbastard, Minnman, M and 6 others repped this.
  5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Join the club. I will end up 3 or 4 grand light each year, for the same reasons as you.

ElJefe and sitruc repped this.
  6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Me too.

But at least it'll help somebody buy another yacht.

ElJefe, sitruc and Boloni86 repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The Heritage Foundation, the Koch's and their like have been playing the long con for years and it's finally paying off.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The good news is that I doubt this thing will pass.

I thought that before last night. I'm even more convinced after last night.

There's simply no evidence that this GOP can get any substantial legislation through congress.

9. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    And look at moneyed entities 'donating' tax-free to churches which will then run their ads. For a cut. Its another campaign money anonymizing money laundry scheme.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Three quotes this week that sum up the tax fight perfectly :

“My donors are basically saying, ‘Get it done or don’t ever call me again,’ ” Republican rep. Chris Collins.

“It doesn’t change my reading of the current moment,” Ryan said of the elections during a morning event hosted by the Washington Examiner. “It just emphasizes my reading of the current moment, which is: We have a promise to keep, and we have to get on with keeping our promise.” Paul Ryan. Who was that promise made to. Is your GOP base demanding repealing the estate tax?

“Want to pass this tax bill? Want to hurt the suburbs? Make our day.” Chuck Schumer ... lol.

All three of these quotes point to the open secret that everyone in Washington should have known by now. GOP economic policies are not popular in this country. If you run against the elites, you can't pass this type of bill. Bannon was right when he said the top tax rate should be in the 40s. He knows their base and he knows that even many Trump voters don't want this shit.

soccernutter repped this.
  12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy and read "Ideology in America" by Christopher Ellis and Jim Stimson. In it, they argue that Republican ideology is preferred (who doesn't want a conservative estimate of something), but liberal policies are preferred because they actually help people.

13. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've mentioned this before...I hope some smart ass liberal starts a church, makes a ton of tax-free donations to said church, which then launders the money as campaign advocacy.

I just want to point out that the Johnson Amendment does NOT NOT NOT forbid partisan politics from the pulpit. It just says you can't do that while getting subsidized by taxpayers.

14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Since churches are tax exempt, aren't they all subsidized by taxpayers?

fatbastard repped this.
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    couple of plain-as-day quotes have come out today:

Really is not going to help.

[​IMG]

flowergirl repped this.
  16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh, don't you worry none. Steve Bannon is just waiting to rip that liberal Jew a new asshole when this fails.

18. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point...churches currently have to choose between the tax exemption and staying out of partisan politics. They are NOT banned from participating in partisan politics.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Even better - "small business owners" like ExxonMobil's CEO

sitruc and fatbastard repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    And Goldman Sachs partners.

See, this is what I don't get about the left. Yes, Hillary Clinton gave speeches to Goldman Sachs. So what? The question that matters is, would that politician cut tax breaks for Goldman Sachs partners?

Pretty much every Congressional Republican is about to do that, and the White House Republican would be happy to sign such a bill. Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton would never do that. Even if she wished to (which I doubt), her supporters wouldn't permit her.

I don't understand the purpose of that sort of purity test. I mean, I get that Bernie would have been tougher yet on Goldman, but once the primary season ended the issue should have ended. The Democratic candidate was not going to be cutting Goldman any breaks, while the GOP candidate very likely was.

Digression over, carry on.

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    People need to separate liking someone and voting for someone. I'm comfortable talking shit about my candidate and still voting for them on election day. I don't care about liking them. I'm not planning to date them. I just want a return on my vote, that's it.

Maybe this just comes easier to DC United fans. I'll bitch and moan all day about how much we suck, but that doesn't mean I'm about to get Red Bull season tix.

raza_rebel, sitruc, flowergirl and 2 others repped this.
  22. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm certainly used to it. Obama was the first non-incumbent I've voted for in a presidential primary to win a nomination. That didn't mean that I couldn't vote for the winning candidate in the Presidential election. And this started with Mondale.

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it fails. I think in March and April they limp across the finish line with a watered-down $600 billion corporate tax rate reduction.

Boloni86 repped this.
  24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    So not T'giving or the end of the year?

I'm not so sure they have the gonads to make the changes.

25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the House passes something like this in a few weeks. I then think another Trump bombshell forces another Republican Senate retirement, and Mitch has to retool the Senate proposal to accommodate Collins, Corker, McCain, Flake, Paul, AND the new guy. I then think Christmas and January come with a slew of retirements, and they go back to square one to get something done that actually passes the Senate instead of this collection of pipe dreams.

That thing will have to be under $1.5 trillion and not ostentatious. Anything under $1 trillion will mean "Billion" and therefore acceptable. The lobbyist assault on the deduction repeals means a corporate tax rate reduction, with some closed loopholes, is their most likely outcome. I imagine that'll be $600 billion.

Boloni86 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.