Google Feature Incorporates Satellite Maps

Discussion in 'Technology' started by sanariot, Apr 6, 2005.

1. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple.

Since Google offers web based applications, and since they are doing so well, it makes it so it does not matter as much which operating system one has on one's computer. Anyone can be running Mac, or Linux, or whatever else, and still be able to use most of Google's software and services.

MS Windows rely's on it's market dominence, so that most over the counter software is targeted towards Windows, making it harder for other platforms to compete.

Thus, when web based stuff, as well as cross platform stuff like Java, becomes successful, it reduces the relevence of Windows, and makes it's desktop monopoly less of a factor, finally delivering more choice to consumers.

I assure you, Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are very very very worried about Google.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Huh? That's like saying that Adobe is going to put Microsoft out of business because they have a versions of Photoshop for both the PC and the Mac.

And good luck trying to get Google Earth to run on Linux or a Mac.

I'm sure it will eventually be ported, but the fact that the only operating system that Google targeted was Microsoft Windows (2000 and XP) should tell you that Gates and Ballmer aren't worried about Google.

5. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Earth is the only Google product that only runs on Windows, AFAIK. And you're right, they will more than likely come out with a cross platform version at some point.

And the idea that the more web based stuff and more cross platform stuff there is, the less relevant a desktop monopoly becomes, still stands. It only makes sense.

Many people buy Windows, or PCs pre-loaded with Windows, because they have to, or they are unaware that there are choices, or they have software that is important to them that runs only on Windows. If there is more software that is either web based or cross platform, then people will only buy Windows because they want to, not because they have to.

I'm not trying to start up a flame war, or get on an anti-MS soapbox. I'm just trying to point out market and technical realities. And personally, I'm a big fan of choice, and I hate lock-in.

The vast majority of Microsoft's revenue comes from Windows and MSOffice, which enjoy the monopoly lock-in. If successful web based stuff or cross platform stuff can dissolve the lock-in, then MS will have the potential of losing previously locked-in customers and the guaranteed revenue streams that came with them. Therefore, Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer most certainly should be worried about Google (and other successful web based and cross platform products). They'd be stupid and blind if they weren't.

But don't worry, BG and SB are quite aware of the threat, which is why they're spending so much time on trying to enhance MSN, and trying to buy out AOL (in a bidding war with Google).

Viva Choice. Go Google! :D

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you didn't follow the Google and Microsoft battle over Lee.

Check this out: http://battellemedia.com/archives/001835.php

And, as a point of pride, Mark Lucovsky is my cousin (and we're buds).