Google Feature Incorporates Satellite Maps

Discussion in 'Technology' started by sanariot, Apr 6, 2005.

1. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Online search engine leader Google has unveiled a new feature that will enable its users to zoom in on homes and businesses using satellite images, an advance that may raise privacy concerns as well as intensify the competitive pressures on its rivals.

The satellite technology, which Google began offering late Monday at http://maps.google.com, is part of the package that the Mountain View-based company acquired when it bought digital map maker Keyhole Corp. for an undisclosed amount nearly six months ago.

This marks the first time since the deal closed that Google has offered free access to Keyhole's high-tech maps through its search engine. Users previously had to pay $29.95 to download a version of Keyhole's basic software package.

A more traditional map will continue to be the first choice served up by Google's search engine. Users will have the option of retrieving a satellite picture by clicking on a button.

The satellite maps could unnerve some people, even as the technology impresses others. That's because the Keyhole technology is designed to provide close-up perspective of specific addresses..."

(Continued at http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-Google-Maps.html?)

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    This is my hood.

It's not perfect - i hate how the photos are patched. But it's kinda cool how you can superimpose directions on the satellite map.

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  4. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Bump

Skip you live in a nice, trendy area in NYC.

street

those prints at globexplorer are $$, good quality though

They also got a Google Maps Widget

5. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Yeah, I came by this a month ago. Satellite coverage is patchy, it's mostly medium resolution, but there are some high res blocks. In case of Saudi (my country), the only high res tile they've got is of Medina, which is surprising as I would've thought that Mecca would've been captured. What is stranger is the bad map coverage, not even mainland Europe is mapped!

Anyway, this is the district where my grandparent's house is in Medina
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=al+Ma...156,39.633629&spn=0.016226,0.021547&t=k&hl=en

6. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    WOW!!!

That has to be the coolest piece of software, ever!!!

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I visited Manhattan (my only trip to NYC) a few years back, I stayed at a place in Tribeca on West Broadway; I think just south of Canal. Nice view of the Towers - I wish now I had gone and visited, but I was too busy with other stuff.

My hood. If you zoom out one notch, you can actually see the building I work in as well.

My land in Columbus, where I will eventually be building on. I own the pond just to the right of the pushpin, and the 12 acres of land surrounding it.

9. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Once you get used to the program (it's quite easy). Check this.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0/C/20

"Dynamic data layers" is mind-boggling.

Weather infos, links to wikipedia, links to panorama images... lots of stuff.

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I'm not sure what happened with those links, but they should have been here and here, respectively.

11. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.

Incredibly, mind-bogglingly cool!
    Thank's!!!

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I created a KMZ file for all the MLS Stadiums, although I admit I'm not 100% certain if I got the right spot for the new Pizza Hut Park that FC Dallas is moving into next month.

14. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
  15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    This guy posted all the World Cup stadiums

16. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google rocks. They are always coming out with something new and interesting, and they are increasingly making MS Windows less and less relevant, which is a wonderful thing for consumers and businesses alike.

Oh, and the satelite thing is awesome. I was able to see my house from a satelite pic. Amazing stuff.

17. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Pardon my ignorance, but how do you view these files?

18. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Install this "guy" (it's free):
    http://earth.google.com/

19. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    How are they making Windows less and less revelant? You can't compare a search engine to a software company.

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I love google earth. I've used to figure out some of the elevation changes on the routes I bike around my house.

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I made a new version of the MLS Stadiums KMZ file that is broken into divisions and contains web links to all the teams and stadiums, plus address and phone numbers for stadiums if I could find them.

I also think I found a better location for Pizza Hut Park than what I had previously.

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bump -

I've added a bunch of stadiums from Italy (Serie A and Serie B, plus a couple from Serie C) to a KMZ file and uploaded it to my site.

Click on the link in my sig if you're interested.

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bump.

For those interested.

I've created a Google Earth KMZ file that contains all English stadiums (Premiership, Coca Cola Championship, League 1, and League 2).

You can download it here (also in my sig)

24. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    very nice!

25. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    mike: i put in all english stadiums down through confrence (i think i may have done confrence north and south, too).

ive also got italy through serie C2 a/b/c. norway and sweden through the top two divisions. top divisions in france and germany.