Goodnight Coelho

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Chachi King, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    We didn't lose to Oman and Vietnam with even Korean coaches. Someone back me up with this. Big losses against European sides I could tolerate for now, but this is simply ridiculous.

2. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Enough. Let it slide. Even the greatest giants fall at times. The ball is round. Instead lets give the Vietnamese a pat on the back.

3. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Let's not forget to pat Omanese in the back as well. I hope you know by know that we lost to them as well. While at it how about we all stab Coelho in the back with a thick knife...

With all seriousness, wen they lost to Vietnam I was willing to look at it as a freak result and I was forgiving. But now it's become two in a row. And against Oman it was a 3-1 lost. THREE to ONE. It wasn't like they pulled off a fluky 1-0 win like Vietnam did. Never have we lost two straight games against asian minnow nations. Something is seriously wrong.

I attribute these struggles to several reasons; first, they assembled together bunch of K-league players in short notice without giving them too much practice together, at all. Basically the same problem the major footballing powers (France, Argentina, etc) went through during the WC 2002. Many of them were simply tired out and had no chemistry with each other. Second, they did play this second round of the games at middle east (first round in Korea there were not too many problems) where we were always generally very poor; however, this is no excuse as korea MUST learn to play better away from home... or it might as well be like how many Korean critics say... that Korea only plays well at home and WC 2002 was total fluke based on home advantage. The lack of concentration, confidence and motivation for this team away from home is just astonishing. Third, Coelho needs to ditch the 4-back system immediately. History has proven over and over again that it is not the right system for the Korean team. What was wrong with our good old 3-4-3 system? It worked fine for us until Coelho started experimenting with other formations, which is all well and good, but I hope he realized now that Korean players just can't adapt to the 4-back system. It causes way too much chaos at the back. Fourth problem is well... strikers. Same old story. Enough said.

If Coelho can SOMEHOW tie or loss against Nepal or loss real convincingly to Bulgaria next month, then he'll get the axe. I guarantee it.

4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    oman?

has to be the saddest day of my life.

GOODBYE COELHO.

5. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Yes I too looked at the Vietnam result and said, oh crap... I felt frustrated because we hadn't really had a solid result under Coelho except the 1-0 win over Japan (which wasn't too solid, but a win nonetheless) and felt Vietnam was a bit ridiculous, but still was willing to give Coelho a chance.
    This 3-1 defeat to Oman is really the last straw. I don't care what excuses Coelho has, this is simply inexcuseable.
    Even our club teams should be able to deal with these teams comfortably, to have the national team not do so is unforgiveable.
    And yes, the 4 back system is a disaster. And the times we did occasionally have a 4 back system under Hiddink, it was more like 2 full backs, and 2 wing backs with one defensive midfielder supporting the two full backs (usually Kim Nam-il).
    Our best bet formations are 3-4-3 and 3-5-2.

6. red fire engine

red fire engine New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Anyang
    I think you guys need to bear in mind though that there are no Korean players scoring a bucket load of goals (or any goals whatsoever in some cases) for any team in the world under any coach.

Unless you want to count Kim Do-hun who WAS selected, but nobody rates him anyway.

Many of the top scorers in the K-League are foreigners and indeed that is because they get bought in as strikers because the Koreans here don't score any goals. It's Korean coaches maing those decisions. The ones in Europe can barely get a goal to save their lives.

There are a couple in the J-League, which by many accounts is worse than the K-League (and judging by their national team certainly is worse), who score there though I guess.

Defensive problems though have been rearing their head ever since the WC ended, even since the 3/4 playoff actually.

7. red fire engine

red fire engine New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Anyang
    I'm sure you will find that Korea has lost to worse teams than them with Korean coaches.

Maybe you should pick Jo Gwang-rae so you can lose to Bermuda, Laos and the Solomon Islands.

8. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Re: Re: Goodnight Coelho

Then the question is, why is Jo Gwan-rae still alive? lol